News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

i need helpppp about pistol grip convertion

Started by nelson_audet, August 08, 2011, 11:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson_audet

my charger is a 69 4 speed with console. I would like to upgrade it with pistol grip shifter. I know i must change the upper rubber boot with the pistol grip because the 69 shifter is not the same form of the pistol grip

my question is :::: i must change the LOWER  rubber boot too or i can keep it??

the lower rubber boot is the same in 69 and 70 or i must buy another  lower rubber boot for my pistol grip

i need your help guy
69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

Troy

Your bigger "issue" is going to be the shifter. In 1970 the Hurst shifter itself has shorter throw so you don't ram your hand into the dash with the pistol grip. I don't know the answer to the question on the boots but I'm also not sure that either one is easy to find.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

nelson_audet

maxwellwedge

The lower would probably work ok.

2 questions....

Do you have the proper pistol grip handle for a console?

Why change it?

nelson_audet

i bought the pistol grip for a b body with console 1970.. yes.... and i bought the UPPER shifter boot for 70 pistol grip.. with the corect rectangular shifter hole...

why change it ? 1970 pistol grip with console is tooo cooooool :) and too beautifull

i will keep the original shifter handle in my garage :)

BIGBLCK11

The lower boot will work, as the shifter handles are the same at the base.  The shifter fingers on the shifter mechanism itself are longer, as noted above.  The new shifter can be purchased for $300.  The new handle is $400. :'(  The currently produced handles and shifters are bolt in, while the old are slip-in style.  So, just make sure they match.  The nice thing about a new one is that they have competition stops on them.  

I previously asked Wayne, at Brewer's Performance, if he sells the shifter fingers separate and he did not.  You could always give them a call to double-check, as they do rebuild shifters and sell other parts for them.  I was trying to convert a 69 shifter too, as they are easier to find used and less than $300.  I bit the bullet and opted for nice new one with no slop.