News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What are the best front shocks for a genIII?

Started by JPL, August 07, 2011, 01:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPL

What are the best front shocks for a genIII? I took off my 90/10's and put on Monroe Gas shocks and it's better but still dives pretty bad, just looking for a quick fix, thanks all!

HPP

Koni or Bilstein. Buy throuhg Firm Feel or Hotchkis. I believe Summit resells the Hotchkis stuff.

dangina

Quote from: HPP on August 08, 2011, 08:20:43 AM
Koni or Bilstein. Buy throuhg Firm Feel or Hotchkis. I believe Summit resells the Hotchkis stuff.

bilstein - so many guys in my hometown swear by them and I'm picking up a set this fall

Stretch

Im a big fan of KYB. The share the patent with Bilstein and have a lifetime guarantee. (Assuming your looking for street manners).

'71 & '72 charger fronts             '71 &'72 charger rears   
Gas-A-Just (mono-tube gas)      Gas-A-Just
part# KG4510                          Part # KG5512

'73 & 74 charger front               '73 & '74 charger rear
GR2 (also known as Excell G)       GR2
part# 343158                           part# 343159 (Gas-A-Just are available for the rear & are a upgrade. Part# KG5512)

I'm not at all a fan of Monroe shocks/struts. There design lets fluid bypass the piston to "soften" the ride. If you have ever seen a cut away of a monroe shock you can see that they are essentially selling a warn out shock. Think of it like your engine. You don't want compression to leak past the rings do you? Of corse not. We want to take full advantage of the ring to cylinder seal and the valves. It's the same idea with a shock.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

Nacho-RT74

I would like to get performance options for front on 73/74s.

I got GR2s all around though
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Stretch

KYB does not make the Gas-A-Just for the front of the '73/4 cars as of yet. I too have GR 2 all the way around. The shocks I took of were GM Pleasueizers. LOL I wondered why I had an uncontrollable urge to smoke a cigarette after a ride untill I swaped the shocks out. I have a pic of them some where. I'll post it if I can find it.

JPL

Quote from: Stretch on August 13, 2011, 10:18:03 AM
KYB does not make the Gas-A-Just for the front of the '73/4 cars as of yet. I too have GR 2 all the way around. The shocks I took of were GM Pleasueizers. LOL I wondered why I had an uncontrollable urge to smoke a cigarette after a ride untill I swaped the shocks out. I have a pic of them some where. I'll post it if I can find it.

I can get the 4510's for about $27 a pop, sound right? Ready to pull the trigger.....

Stretch

Shit yah! Thats a deal! I buy them for $35.30 and sell them for $56.48 + labor each. List is $62.24. I'm in the U.P. of michigain. Not sure where you are but it sounds like the market is better there.

JPL

Quote from: Stretch on August 15, 2011, 07:30:55 AM
Shit yah! Thats a deal! I buy them for $35.30 and sell them for $56.48 + labor each. List is $62.24. I'm in the U.P. of michigain. Not sure where you are but it sounds like the market is better there.

I heard the KYB might be a bit "harsh".........

HPP

Can't say I've ever had a decent riding vehicle on any that used KYB Gas-A- Justs.  No experience with GR2s. In my experience it seems that the KYB approach is high pressure nitrogen to compensate for a lack in precision valving. Might be great on vehicles that have increased wheel rate significantly, but I doubt it. IMO, a $60 shock still isn't a big step up in performance. On the vehicels that I have driven/ridden in with KYBs, a change to Ranchos usually improved the ride considerably.

It is not too difficult to modify the lower control arm of a G3 Charger to use a front shock from a Gen 1 Camaro. Then you have plenty of choices for shocks. To do this only requires some stratigec welding of braces to the bottom of the control arm to provide rigidity and mounting points, open up the hole in the top of the control arm for the shock to pass through, then bolt them in.

Nacho-RT74

I have noticed KYBs GR2 better maybe than some other replacements BUT not a GIANT improvement

Yes I have seen the mod to use Gas-A-Just in front of 73/74s
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html