News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

clutch talk

Started by poppa, August 08, 2011, 09:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Which clutch design is best for a street/crusier,three finger or diapham? I will be using as much of the stuff(stock) I have as possible. What would you keep-what would you change?? Hopefully going to be around a 500 stroker. In the "info gathering mode" .
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Cooter

All I can offer is my own personal experience  dealing with three finger clutches...I ran one and it did "ok" for the most part, but I was told they are the "End all" when it comes to holding power...I found this NOT to be the case at all. I began to experience slipping when speed shifting with a mild 440.(DOT tires)...
I removed the three finger, installed a diaphram and soon began to experience the same thing...All these were STOCK replacement clutches mind you.

Some say the three finger has ALOT of pedal effort. I found this to be mostly true over the diphram style clutch. BOTH slipped in stock form..I then upgraded to a Mcleod "Street/strip" Clutch ($400) and haven't had any problems with this diaphram style clutch slipping. However, I haven't wanted to try the three finger in a racing clutch for fear of huge pedal effort, when a diaphragm style racing clutch works ok.

Hope this helps.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

morepower

deffinately going to have to step up the clutch from stock. I'd say diaphragm clutch also.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

70sixpkrt

I use the Mcleod borg and beck style street/strip setup. Disc 260151, pp 360153, to bearing 16061.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Chryco Psycho

I an no fan of the diaphragm , these cars are not designed to use them , the McLeod 3 finger BB/ Long type has a lighter pedal pressure & huge holding power as the coil springs can be swapped to change pressure , if that  will not hold the power McLeod has the a street twin dual disc with double the surface area which can hold close to 1000 hp
the problem with the diaphragm is two fold , first whatever the spring / plate thickness is is all the spring pressure you can create for holding power , second once the spring/ plate is inverted to release the clutch it will not nessisarily return . I have had this happen shifting at high rpm where you push the clutch & shift & the pedal stays on the floor