News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Charger Resto-Mod... porgressing slowly but surely!!

Started by Johnnys70SRT, July 28, 2011, 09:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnys70SRT

Thought I would share some pictures of my charger in paint with you. It only took 7 bodyshops, 22 years, a lot of frustration, and $26k to get paint on her. She just had the usual dings/dents, but no rust through anywhere. Guess that is why they call this hobby a labor of love.
Some time back I was very discouraged and at my wits end with my Charger. I read some posts on this forum and decided to join. That was one of the best things I ever did. I was ready to sell my Charger because I was sick of dealing with it. A majority of you responded and encouraged me not to sell it. I was amazed at the support I received from this group and re-thought the idea of selling my car. After all, like most of you said, I would have regretted it.
I will say this has been one hell of a roller coaster ride that I have been on for 23 years now. (took 22 years alone just for the paint) Like a lot of you, it seems that when you do a restoration, you take 1 step forward and 3 steps backwards. Sometimes it seems like the finish line is never in sight, but you just have to keep plugging away at it. I have way too much time and money investing in this thing to give up now.
Being that I have waited so long for my Charger to be done, I wanted something that was enjoyable to drive. Not that any Charger isn't fun to drive, but I wanted to "kick it up a notch". I discussed my many options with fellow Mopar enthusiasts along with some members from this forum. In conclusion, I decided to go the resto-mod / pro-touring  route. My car is going to be an R/T clone, with a 6.1L Hemi, some suspension mods, and hopefully an o/d transmission. I have talked with many people who have done the 6.1L Hemi conversion and they tell me there is no going back. After all, 425HP, fuel injecton, and possible 22mpg sounds like a good combination to me. Not that a big block Mopar isn't cool, but I want to modernize the car a little bit. Now I know I will be criticized by the "factory correct" guys, but they need to realize that I spent my hard earned money & time to build my Charger the way I want her to be without destroying it.
Since I decided against putting the car back to factory, I also decided to change paint color. She was painted Purple Rhapsody which looks blue, deep purple, or black
depending on the light you are in. I will tell you the paint looks even better than the pictures make it look.
I'd like to thank all of you for encouraging me not to sell my Charger. It is because of you that I have come this far and will finish this project!!
Let me know what you think of the car. I will be using this thread to post updates and hopefully help others along the way.

WHITE AND RED 69

Daaammnn! That color looks awesome.   :drool5:   What kind of suspension and wheels you going with?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

RallyeMike

You have my curiosity up. How in world did it take 22 years and $26k to paint a rust-free basically straight car?

It looks incredible, but at this rate your grandchildren will still be retiring when this project is done. Not criticizing - just curious what the story is. I myself have a car that I have been working on since 1989 and it's still a pile (and not even painted!).
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Rolling_Thunder

looks good -  the 6.1L swap is a very nice addition   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Kern Dog

I like the wheel dollies that you used on the front end. From the pictures, they look relatively easy to build.
Nice bodywork. The car looks very straight. Nice.

tan top

:coolgleamA: body looks straight & a nice coat of paint from the pictures  :yesnod: :drool5:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Johnnys70SRT

White & Red 69, Thanks for the comments. I am lowering the suspension 2" and using tubular upper control arms, reinforced lowers, stiffer torsion bars. Would love coil-overs, but the bleeding has to stop somewhere. For wheels, I'm going with 18" Budnik Knuckle series. Should compliment the rest of the car. Stay tuned!

1970Moparmann

Very nice.  Glad to see you decided to keep it and you WILL enjoy it.  Keep the pictures coming as progress continues. :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 28, 2011, 10:45:14 PM
You have my curiosity up. How in world did it take 22 years and $26k to paint a rust-free basically straight car?

Yea, my thoughts also. :Twocents:

BIGBLCK11

:2thumbs: Paint looks great!!  I love the ghosted stripe.

Johnnys70SRT

To answer those who are curious how my car took 22 years to get painted and $26k. Here's a summary. Generally, I am an easy going guy and trust that when someone says they will do something, they will keep their word. I only had my Charger for a year when my friends insisted that we give her a nice paint job. I was not eager to do so because my car was driveable and surely presentable. They took my car apart and went like gangbusters for some time. After about 5-6 months they deserted me. So I found a bodyshop that did my friends 69 Charger to complete mine. Took the car to them and gave some money up front to get them started. They worked on my car but then it got pushed to the side because insurance work is their moneymaker. After 2 years of going back & forth with them, I decided to move the car to another shop. 2nd shop of course needs money up front to start so I give it to them. Work starts then of course to the side she goes again. Similar situations went on with 4 additional bodyshops. As an owner you just want your car done and will do anything to get it to that point. Nice guy me was too trusting with all of these individuals and ended up getting screwed in the end. A good friend of mine told me "Johnny, good guys always get screwed". Boy, was he right!!
The 7th bodyshop did not require any money up front. Good Thing! They knew my horror story and I told them I had budgeted $7k for my Charger's paint/bodywork. I was told they would take care of me since they were an account of ours. I checked in to see progression 3 times a week and also checked on the hours they had logged into the car. The manager always told me don't worry we are going to take care of you. So after 29 weeks they finished the car. I went to pick it up and it looked great. Went to go pay my bill and the manager discussed what they did and says it turned out really nice. I agreeded and then he hands me a bill for over $10,000,00. My jaw dropped and I told him I had explained my budget from the beginning ($7k). I also showed him the $3,400.00 that I spent on paint, clearcoat and materials on top of their bill. His response was that these Chargers go for $60k or more on Barrett Jackson. I responded saying if he could get me $60k right now, give me the check and he can have the car and all the new parts I had for it. Had to get the owner involved because I refused to pay over $10k when they knew my budget was $7k from the beginning. We settled at $7,900.00 for their work but it was still way over budget when you think of what I spent on the paint/supplies. At least they were able to finish the car in under a year, compared to the 21+ that the other deadbeats took.
So lesson learned is to get EVERYTHING in writing, handshakes don't work in America anymore. Second lesson, don't let your friends talk you into restoring your car if you are happy with it.

ACUDANUT

Man that sucks.  I got suckered into that kind of trouble before too.

NorwayCharger

:o :o
I have run my body and paint shop business for over 20 years and i am shocked to hear your story.
If i have done something like this i know that i have been out of business.

I wish you all the best with the rest of your build  :cheers:
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

six-tee-nine

Dude what a story...... I take my hat off for your patience.
If I would have been in your shoes I would have killed the ower of that third bodyshop after the 2 previous morons......
And the 10k moron would get my 7k and "Oh I've only got 7K on me, but i'll stop by tomorrow to pay" take the car out and show them the middle finger......

It seems you had no luck with your bodymen....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Dodge Don

Bodyshop hell over and over. I'll give you serious points for determination  :2thumbs:

Car looks great.

Finn

That's a great color!  :cheers: I'm glad you're finally getting to see some progress. :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

twodko

Hey John, welcome back! Color, stripes the whole package is going to be the freakin' bomb! Few have your patience and I'm so pleased for you that its got color - woohoo!

Its your car so do your thing with it..........not everyone needs to be a purist.

Nice stuff bro.  :2thumbs:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

stripedelete

Looks great!   

Put body shop hell behind you.  #7 will get his some day.

Johnnys70SRT

You all are what keeps me motivated on my car. Thanks again.  :2thumbs: