News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OEM Carter carbs in performance cars

Started by Ghoste, August 05, 2011, 07:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

So any theories as to why so many Carters in oem performance applications?  Especially things like the Street Hemi?

maxwellwedge

They must have given cheap-ass Chrysler a better price than Holley?    :scratchchin:       :lol:

Ghoste

Would cost be that big a factor in a Hemi that was already ill suited for street use and limited production?  Is the performance parameter good enough with the Carter for stock use?

maxwellwedge

Well......they did dump the Carters for Holleys on the Race Hemi.

I think it was the same deal with Rochester or Motorcraft carbs....simpler, cheaper, more suited to mass production.

John_Kunkel

Rottenchesters were kind of a GM thing and Motorcraft was Ford; Mopar never directly affiliated with a carb manufacturer so they used what else was available like Carter, Holley and Stromberg.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

morepower

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 08, 2011, 04:09:26 PM

Rottenchesters were kind of a GM thing and Motorcraft was Ford; Mopar never directly affiliated with a carb manufacturer so they used what else was available like Carter, Holley and Stromberg.

yeah thats pretty much what I thought. I mean it'd be kind of lame to have teh same carb as a GM or Ford does on a Mopar...
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Ghoste

Although there are some instances of using Rochester in the Mopar line.  Not sure about the Autolite or Motorcraft.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: maxwellwedge on August 05, 2011, 10:10:07 PM
Well......they did dump the Carters for Holleys on the Race Hemi.

I think it was the same deal with Rochester or Motorcraft carbs....simpler, cheaper, more suited to mass production.

I didn't mean Mopar used these carbs......Just saying the simpler castings and designs led to cheaper, faster production.

Ghoste

I knew what you meant.  
Hand in hand with the first part of your post, dumping Carter for Holleys on the Race Hemi meant they also saddled the Stock Eliminator guys with the Carter.

maxwellwedge

I knew you knew what I knew....You Know?

Ghoste

471_Magnum

Three reasons:
Cost
Cost
Cost

Holley generally never was a major force in OEM applications, mostly due to not being cost competitive.

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

John_Kunkel

A look through the Holley applications catalog for the sixties/seventies shows over a thousand OEM applications...AMC, Chrysler, Ford and GM. (and an occasional corn binder)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

471_Magnum

Holley was a player, more so in the earlier years, but later on they definitely lost much of their OEM market share.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."