News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mig welding

Started by Kern Dog, July 25, 2011, 12:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I have owned a Lincoln 175 MIG for years and have always used the flux core wire. I have also heard recently that the setup with NON flux core but instead using Argon gas yields a better weld. Opinions?

1BAD68

Troy

Flux core is for welding busted tractor parts outside. ;) If you want clean welds in sheet metal you want to use gas. Probably wouldn't hurt to step down in wire size either. I use .020 wire and Argon mix (have to check the ratio) and it makes me look like a pro (and I'm definitely NOT!).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Musicman

Flux Core wire produces a cleaner weld, working from the inside out to clean the weld which makes it ideal for welding together old rusty metal parts. It works great on clean metal too of course, but the flux core welding process itself is rather violent, boiling out crud from the inside so to speak, producing a lot of weld splatter in the process. This process is far to violent for thin sheet metal work however, and is not recommended for metals less than 1/8” thick. I have welded sheet metal myself using flux core in the past, and with great success I might add, but I would never even think about using it for auto body work… at least not on body panels anyway.

Welding with an inert gas produces a nicer cleaner looking weld on the outside with no virtually no splatter to clean up. The welding process is less violent, which makes it easier to see what your doing. This gives you greater control, allowing you to produce much nicer looking welds. As long as your metals are clean, this is the way to go when welding body panels in the Flux/MIG world.   

:Twocents:

elitecustombody

Quote from: Troy on July 25, 2011, 12:52:57 PM
Flux core is for welding busted tractor parts outside.

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Troy, you crack me up! :cheers:

I agree with all of the above,it's night and day difference

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

69*F5*SE

The question has now been answered for you, gas.  Now, take some pics of your progress and post them for us to enjoy!  Good luck.   :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

I went to the local welding supply shop to buy the conversion parts. Unfortunately, the welder that I have would cost more to upgrade than I expected. I thought the model was a 175, instead it is a 5000 HD. Oddly, I HAD a 175 but traded for this one about 5 years ago. Mine has no internal plumbing or fittings. I guess when money allows I may step up, but for now.... its welds that alternate from popcorn to burn-through spots!

Troy

Ah, a Home Depot special. Cheaper in the beginning but not nearly so in the long run. I'm using a 20 year old Hobart 120 that I borrowed. Of course, my "free" welder cost me about $300 by the time I bought some gear, some repair parts, and the right regulator. If you plan on getting anything new, check out Indiana Oxygen (free shipping and awesome prices) or Northern Tool. A 110 volt Lincoln, Hobart, or Miller will be perfect.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.