News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Well it's official... I'm moving to California!

Started by NYCMille, July 28, 2011, 03:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

So... anyone have any advice for a lifelong New Yorker who is moving to the West Coast? We're headed to the Bay Area by Sept. 1st and both the Charger and Daytona will be in tow! Finally, I'll able to enjoy my babies year round!  :2thumbs:

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

MSRacing89

Great news!  Maybe some A/C in those bad boys!

Seriously it will be cool to be able take a drive down there and hang out with you guys for a weekend.  I will be in touch.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

Kern Dog

I don't know what part of New York that you are from, but......
In many ways, CA is more relaxed. There is less of the hustle/bustle of the big city.
You will see many more old cars being used every day, since we dont rust quite as fast as you may be used to seeing. The coastal fog makes for more even temperatures compared to 80-100 miles inland. I live in Sacramento and it is currently 99 degrees, which is why I am typing instead of wrenching.
I love almost everything about this state except the politics and large problem of illegal immigration.

1970Moparmann

Not sure if this is good news or bad? :shruggy:  What's causing the move?   
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

resq302

only downfall I see is CA with its stricter emissions and hassle with the antique cars.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ChgrSteve67

You don't need AC in the Bay Area. If you plan on leaving the coast durring the summer time then your going to need it.

What part of the bay area are you moving too?

You can join us for our Treasure Island outings and get togethers.

-Steve

twodko

"I love almost everything about this state except the politics and large problem of illegal immigration"

and cost of living, gas/food/housing prices and an over streched middle class forced to pay for the "free everything" the state gives the illegals.

"Only downfall I see is CA with its stricter emissions and hassle with the antique cars."

If you have a classic car 1976 or older, there are no emission requirements, no smog tests. I'm unaware of any problems owning, driving or registering an antique car even one brought here from another state as long as it has its docs.

"You can join us for our Treasure Island outings and get togethers."

Yeah, sure you betcha! Great bunch of folks, cars and we like to eat! Calibrokia is a beautiful state, sadly its in worse financial shape than the feds. Politicians, lawyers and lobbyists are always in-season here so bring your weapons.  :cheers:

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bull

Greener grass on the other side ?

Grass that is in debt however....

NYCMille

We've been trying to move out to CA for the better part of a year now as I simply needed a change from NY. I've been living in boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx) apartments now for the last 20 years and honestly, it's just beaten me up. Last winters snow storms basically pushed me over the edge and the fact that I don't have enough space to house both cars in one location was a constant irritation. Plus as an automotive journalist and track instructor California just makes sense for us. I'll always be the consummate NY'r as it's in my blood and attitude, but even the most harden of us need some a break from time to time. We chose the Bay area because I need to be by a city... it's just how I'm wired, plus from a cultural perspective it just fits our lifestyle more (and the food in San Fran is AWESOME). I've had the privilege of meeting so many east coast DC.com members over years, in fact Pete (AUTODYNAMICS) is like a brother to me, but, life goes on and it's time for change. We'll be all settled in by early Sept at which time I would love together and finally meet some of the people I've been talking to online for the last 8 years!  :2thumbs:

What part of the Bay Area are you looking at ?

Richard Cranium

You'd better practice putting "like" and  "dude" in as many times possible when you speak.
I am Dr. Remulac

ChgrSteve67

I think we need to get a MOPAR group together and go to thunderhill raceway park for a track day.

Mike can give us all lessons.

Brock Samson

seriously we could do a meet at Sears Point for the wends-night drags...  :shruggy:

NYCMille

RallyeMike

Congrats on achieving your goal. Welcome to the West and its many miles of open roads!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

stripedelete

I can't remember ever saying, "I have to go to S.F. this week and it's going to suck".  

Good Luck!

A383Wing

Congrats on the move....I'm west coast also...upper northwest coast

guess a trip south may be in order in the future....

WHITE AND RED 69

Good luck with the move. You can't beat the weather here in California, the worst weather we get here in the bay area is a couple weeks of rain. And if you guys are planning on doing some racing, count me in.   :yesnod:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Rolling_Thunder

Awesome - Always nice to have more members in CA --    :2thumbs:

Congrats on the move Mike ---   If you're ever in SoCal hit me up   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Dans 68

Glad to have you with us, Mike. Walnut Creek is a nice area. I have an in-law that hails from the Big Apple, and he does well here in the Bay Area. All the Moparites I know here are good people. I look forward to meeting you.  :cheers:

As far as any advice, just enjoy yourself. It is a beautiful place and you make of it what you will. If you need any help or advice when you get here just drop me a line.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

68X426

Well I'm late to the welcoming party .... welcome!  :2thumbs:

Consider this: it's the people of Northern California that have to adjust to you. :lol:

No, really, you'll be just fine, 'cause everyone is from somewhere else (in the Bay Area) and generally accepting of East Coasters. Most people you meet there will think that when you say you're from back East you mean Stockton or Modesto.

Good luck with the left coast hippie Bolsheviks though.  ::)  Having Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada a couple hours away will make it almost bearable.  :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: stripedelete on July 28, 2011, 10:26:42 PM
I can't remember ever saying, "I have to go to S.F. this week and it's going to suck". 

Good Luck!

I say that every time I think about driving into the city.

The Concord, Walnut Creek area is nice.

johnnycharger

Awesome. welcome to the bay I live in napa and commute to concord 5 days a week. walnut creek is a very nice place. I have had a lot of good times there. You should enjoy it. :2thumbs:

Budnicks

I was born & raised in 38years Concord, Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek area lived there most of my adult life live in the Sierras foothills, Sonora almost 4 years now, after a short stint in Rancho Murieta  just east of Sacramento, You will like that area for the most part... I haven't lived there for over 10+ years now but still have a bunch of family there...   Good luck with you new place & job... Going across the bridge, commuting or going anywhere west of Orinda  the is for the birds the traffic really sucks a big one, that's the main reason why I moved here...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

bull

What's the best thing about the Bay Area? The Raiders, of course.

Tilar

Quote from: stripedelete on July 28, 2011, 10:26:42 PM

Good Luck!

I was under the impression that a lot of things sucked in the San Fransisco area.    :rofl:

The only part of CA that I've ever been in was far south near the San Diego to tijuana area and that didn't impress me even a little bit.  But then again driving a 379 Pete and 53' trailer through Brooklyn and all over NY city didn't do a lot for me either.   :eek2:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Dans 68

Quote from: bull on July 29, 2011, 02:24:56 AM

Ah, hell, I always thought there was something off about you...you're probably an A's fan too.  :slap:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Old Moparz

I think seeing the ocean on the wrong side of the ground will be an adjustment you'll have to make.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

NYCMille

SRT-440

Awesome..I admire people that just take the plunge and change things around..good for you homie!

I'd love to live in California, Arkansas sucks on many levels..but mainly cuz it's been 106 for a month.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Ponch ®

welcome to the West Coast, Mike! Hopefully you'll be able to make it to some of the big shows *cough*CPW Fall Fling in Van Nuys October 15th *cough* down here in SoCal now that you're on this side.

you know, we may have our disagreements on illegals, the 4 door Chargers, rap music, the ecumenical movement, and so on...then you totally redeem yourself.  :2thumbs:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Kern Dog

Quotethe ecumenical movement, and so on...

What does this mean?

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 29, 2011, 11:34:12 AM
welcome to the West Coast, Mike! Hopefully you'll be able to make it to some of the big shows *cough*CPW Fall Fling in Van Nuys October 15th *cough* down here in SoCal now that you're on this side.

I would like to get a group of Northern CA people together and go down for that event in 2012 instead of Mopars at the strip.

Mix it up

Ponch ®

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on July 29, 2011, 01:20:24 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on July 29, 2011, 11:34:12 AM

I would like to get a group of Northern CA people together and go down for that event in 2012 instead of Mopars at the strip.

Mix it up

for the Spring show, right? You should. Although it's not like Vegas where you have a billion things to do, we have a lot of events going on around the show - cruise-ins, beach cruises, etc. I know there's a group from up there that cruises down PCH all the way down here on Friday. MATS has the racing, we have the cars and swapmeet. This year was both good and bad in having them only a week apart - good for the people and vendors from far away that made it into a one week West Coast tour, bad for those that couldn't make both because theyre so close together. But enough of hijacking Mike's thread... :D
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

ds440

Best of luck, Mr Angry! :cheers:  Let us know if you start to miss the snow and need us to ship some out your way......or rust.....we have plenty of both.  :rofl: :cheers:
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

Ponch ®

Quote from: ds440 on July 29, 2011, 03:13:49 PM
Best of luck, Mr Angry! :cheers:  Let us know if you start to miss the snow and need us to ship some out your way......or rust.....we have plenty of both.  :rofl: :cheers:

might not need to ship it. One of the great things about California is that during certain times of the year, its possible for you to be at the beach surfing in the morning and at the mountains snowboarding by mid-afternoon.

Budnicks

Wow i thought I was the only one left...

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 29, 2011, 03:29:01 PM

might not need to ship it. One of the great things about California is that during certain times of the year, its possible for you to be at the beach surfing in the morning and at the mountains snowboarding by mid-afternoon.

We got it all in about a 2 hour driving radius.
I will say the 1 thing we are missing is the HUGH MOPAR cars shows like they have back east.
Spring Fling and MATS and some of the Good Guys car shows is as close as we get.

We do have Hot August Nights but that is too comercial for me.

Hey Mike, how long do you think your going to be on the road since you will not be flying at 100+

Steve (Raiders fan for life - got tatoo to prove it)

68X426

Quote from: Budnicks on July 29, 2011, 04:50:47 PM

OK, so there's two of you. :nana:

Mike, cool thing is that it's safe to root for NY teams if you want. The Bay Area fans are not like Dodger fans. :stirthepot:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ponch ®

Brass

Inspirational.  I've been contemplating a move somewhere warmer myself, so I think I can sympathize.  Though I would be leaving Seattle where it rains 10 or 11 months out of the year.  (I've been to NY a number of times and loved it – I'm sure you'll miss it on occasion.)  Anyway, good luck and way to take action. 

Finn

Nice, congrats man! If you're looking for your first west coast mopar project Ive got a 70 challenger in need of some black paint...comes with a Mr Angry sticker too! :D
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 29, 2011, 03:29:01 PM

then hit up a foreign country for tequila shots that night...     or drive the 4 hours out to vegas to gamble all night...   

68X426

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Budnicks

Quote from: 68X426 on July 29, 2011, 05:04:02 PM

OK, so there's two of you. :nana:

Mike, cool thing is that it's safe to root for NY teams if you want. The Bay Area fans are not like Dodger fans. :stirthepot:
The JETS are OK I really like Rex Ryan's coaching style

Budnicks

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 29, 2011, 05:09:06 PM
The Bay Area fans are not like Dodger fans. :stirthepot:

yeah, Dodger fans are straight.
I never quoted any thing about SF Bay area Gays what's with my name in the quotes...Not that theres anything wrong with it.. remember Sienfeld..

myk

Quote from: NYCMille on July 28, 2011, 03:13:52 PM
So... anyone have any advice for a lifelong New Yorker who is moving to the West Coast? We're headed to the Bay Area by Sept. 1st and both the Charger and Daytona will be in tow! Finally, I'll able to enjoy my babies year round!  :2thumbs:

Yeah I was born in Queens and got dragged out here but I don't regret it anymore.  Being able to drive anywhere, anytime in just about any car is a beautiful plus.  I wish you were closer or I'd help you move in!  Welcome to the sunny state...

68X426

Quote from: Budnicks on July 30, 2011, 02:15:53 AM
Quote from: Ponch ® on July 29, 2011, 05:09:06 PM
The Bay Area fans are not like Dodger fans. :stirthepot:

yeah, Dodger fans are straight.
I never quoted any thing about SF Bay area Gays what's with my name in the quotes...Not that theres anything wrong with it.. remember Sienfeld..

Yeah that is very weird. You didn't say it Bart, it was said by Ponch, yet your name is there in the chain of quotes inside of quotes. Weird. I'll stand up for you, you didn't say it.

See how weird the quote in quote thing is. I can't get out of it as a I write.

Anyway, Mike, if you are a Dodger fan (what with your home turf of NYC, you might root for the long gone Broklyn Dodgers), you might have some issue in the Bay Area. Just thought I'd mention it.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

v21hemicharger

Welcome Mike.  Walnut Creek is pretty nice.  Sometimes the traffic there can be rough.  Will you be working close by or in the city?  Weather should be pretty good, not as hot as valley and not as cold as city.  Thunder Hill sounds great as i live about 20 minutes away.  Your welcome to stay if you feel the need for track days.  I have a few more bugs to work out before I take the Charger there.   Have a full service shop if needed as well(Mine not commercial).  Hope to see the Angry's at a show or the track and get some lessons.  I went to Willow Springs for the Speed Festival and had a great time.  Mike

mikepmcs

I'm hiding in the uhaul.
San Francisco is the balls!
See ya, you lucky fu**in b******
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

NYCMille

xpbprox

If you have any guns, don't even bother bringing them with you :flame:
Haha i know new York it's pretty bad but California is by far the worst! over here you new to make sure your weapon is California compliant and on the "list" it's pretty ridiculous
I'm also a member on calguns.net and there you will find what you need to do if you have any weapons that are non Cali compliant

Don't know if this was already mentioned but get ready to probably spend more on fuel. Where I live it's stupid expensive for diesel $4.79! then I'll see it in another city over, where it's only $3.99

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

A383Wing

NYCMille

Nope, no guns. Growing up in Brooklyn we found that a nice piece of pipe sufficed as a peacemaker.  :2thumbs:

twodko

Quote from: NYCMille on August 01, 2011, 06:38:27 AM
Nope, no guns. Growing up in Brooklyn we found that a nice piece of pipe sufficed as a peacemaker.  :2thumbs:

Yeah baby  :2thumbs:  I look forward to meeting you at the shows, welcome!

Brock Samson

Quote from: twodko on August 01, 2011, 01:50:10 PM

Yeah baby  :2thumbs:  I look forward to meeting you at the shows, welcome!

Yeah, we too found Peace Pipes make great Peacemakers...   :lol:

TUFCAT

If you leave NYC you'll have to change your handle...

twodko

Nice BBD, very nice. Had to go put my "best of Zep" CD in the machine!  :yesnod:

charge69

Congrats on the move to the left coast, Sir. Gonna be a whole new experience for you. San Fran is a great place and I am sure you will enjoy it thoroughly.

BBD, great ZEP song and very appropos. I really did not appreciate them back then but, they are one of R & R's biggest acts ever.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: NYCMille on July 31, 2011, 04:27:28 PM
ugh... forgot how much packing sucks!

Dude, they have services for that!  

Turns out this line has lots of situations it's useful in. Who woulda thunk it.  :shruggy:  :rofl:

Good luck in CA... SF is a wonderful town. Hope to get back out there again someday.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bordin34

Good Luck, I was hoping to see one of your cars at the Monticello Motor Club sometime. My friend's dad knows one of the owners.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Rolling_Thunder

hemi68charger

Hey Mike..
Congrad's on the move. I'm glad it's something you wanted to do and were able to accomplish it. From what I know of you via telephone conversations and here, you should be a nice fit in the area. Are you going on blind faith or have you already something lined up in regards to employment? For me, it would be a scary, yet exciting change in life. I've always wanted to live in Europe for awhile. All the best and may your journey from sea to shining sea be safe and without drama....    :2thumbs:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ChgrSteve67

Mike,

How long do you think your going to be on the road?
We have a NorCal picnic in the works on Sept 11th (at the moment) if your in town by then.

Brock Samson

He's going to a Tx. wedding that weekend as it turns out..  :shruggy:

johnnycharger

Hi Mike
sorry for dragging up in old thread but are you out here now?

71charger

Quote from: Richard Cranium on July 28, 2011, 09:10:28 PM
You'd better practice putting "like" and  "dude" in as many times possible when you speak.

That's like a lie dude..... we californians don't talk like that bro. lol jking im from california. Yeah maybe if you are 10-16
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

FLG

Gonna miss ya mike  :cheers:

That made me laugh, lived my whole life here in bklyn, no guns/knifes needed....just keep a metal bat in the umbrella stand  :smilielol:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: FLG on October 16, 2011, 02:30:46 AM
Gonna miss ya mike  :cheers:

That made me laugh, lived my whole life here in bklyn, no guns/knifes needed....just keep a metal bat in the umbrella stand  :smilielol:

Yeah, that works, but have you ever tried to swing a bat in a narrow hallway?  :eek2: