News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Well it's official... I'm moving to California!

Started by NYCMille, July 28, 2011, 03:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

So... anyone have any advice for a lifelong New Yorker who is moving to the West Coast? We're headed to the Bay Area by Sept. 1st and both the Charger and Daytona will be in tow! Finally, I'll able to enjoy my babies year round!  :2thumbs:

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

MSRacing89

Great news!  Maybe some A/C in those bad boys!

Seriously it will be cool to be able take a drive down there and hang out with you guys for a weekend.  I will be in touch.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

Kern Dog

I don't know what part of New York that you are from, but......
In many ways, CA is more relaxed. There is less of the hustle/bustle of the big city.
You will see many more old cars being used every day, since we dont rust quite as fast as you may be used to seeing. The coastal fog makes for more even temperatures compared to 80-100 miles inland. I live in Sacramento and it is currently 99 degrees, which is why I am typing instead of wrenching.
I love almost everything about this state except the politics and large problem of illegal immigration.

1970Moparmann

Not sure if this is good news or bad? :shruggy:  What's causing the move?   
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

resq302

only downfall I see is CA with its stricter emissions and hassle with the antique cars.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ChgrSteve67

You don't need AC in the Bay Area. If you plan on leaving the coast durring the summer time then your going to need it.

What part of the bay area are you moving too?

You can join us for our Treasure Island outings and get togethers.

-Steve

twodko

"I love almost everything about this state except the politics and large problem of illegal immigration"

and cost of living, gas/food/housing prices and an over streched middle class forced to pay for the "free everything" the state gives the illegals.

"Only downfall I see is CA with its stricter emissions and hassle with the antique cars."

If you have a classic car 1976 or older, there are no emission requirements, no smog tests. I'm unaware of any problems owning, driving or registering an antique car even one brought here from another state as long as it has its docs.

"You can join us for our Treasure Island outings and get togethers."

Yeah, sure you betcha! Great bunch of folks, cars and we like to eat! Calibrokia is a beautiful state, sadly its in worse financial shape than the feds. Politicians, lawyers and lobbyists are always in-season here so bring your weapons.  :cheers:

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

bull

Greener grass on the other side ?

Grass that is in debt however....

NYCMille

We've been trying to move out to CA for the better part of a year now as I simply needed a change from NY. I've been living in boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx) apartments now for the last 20 years and honestly, it's just beaten me up. Last winters snow storms basically pushed me over the edge and the fact that I don't have enough space to house both cars in one location was a constant irritation. Plus as an automotive journalist and track instructor California just makes sense for us. I'll always be the consummate NY'r as it's in my blood and attitude, but even the most harden of us need some a break from time to time. We chose the Bay area because I need to be by a city... it's just how I'm wired, plus from a cultural perspective it just fits our lifestyle more (and the food in San Fran is AWESOME). I've had the privilege of meeting so many east coast DC.com members over years, in fact Pete (AUTODYNAMICS) is like a brother to me, but, life goes on and it's time for change. We'll be all settled in by early Sept at which time I would love together and finally meet some of the people I've been talking to online for the last 8 years!  :2thumbs:

What part of the Bay Area are you looking at ?

Richard Cranium

You'd better practice putting "like" and  "dude" in as many times possible when you speak.
I am Dr. Remulac

ChgrSteve67

I think we need to get a MOPAR group together and go to thunderhill raceway park for a track day.

Mike can give us all lessons.

Brock Samson

seriously we could do a meet at Sears Point for the wends-night drags...  :shruggy:

NYCMille

RallyeMike

Congrats on achieving your goal. Welcome to the West and its many miles of open roads!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

stripedelete

I can't remember ever saying, "I have to go to S.F. this week and it's going to suck".  

Good Luck!

A383Wing

Congrats on the move....I'm west coast also...upper northwest coast

guess a trip south may be in order in the future....

WHITE AND RED 69

Good luck with the move. You can't beat the weather here in California, the worst weather we get here in the bay area is a couple weeks of rain. And if you guys are planning on doing some racing, count me in.   :yesnod:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Rolling_Thunder

Awesome - Always nice to have more members in CA --    :2thumbs:

Congrats on the move Mike ---   If you're ever in SoCal hit me up   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Dans 68

Glad to have you with us, Mike. Walnut Creek is a nice area. I have an in-law that hails from the Big Apple, and he does well here in the Bay Area. All the Moparites I know here are good people. I look forward to meeting you.  :cheers:

As far as any advice, just enjoy yourself. It is a beautiful place and you make of it what you will. If you need any help or advice when you get here just drop me a line.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

68X426

Well I'm late to the welcoming party .... welcome!  :2thumbs:

Consider this: it's the people of Northern California that have to adjust to you. :lol:

No, really, you'll be just fine, 'cause everyone is from somewhere else (in the Bay Area) and generally accepting of East Coasters. Most people you meet there will think that when you say you're from back East you mean Stockton or Modesto.

Good luck with the left coast hippie Bolsheviks though.  ::)  Having Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada a couple hours away will make it almost bearable.  :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: stripedelete on July 28, 2011, 10:26:42 PM
I can't remember ever saying, "I have to go to S.F. this week and it's going to suck". 

Good Luck!

I say that every time I think about driving into the city.

The Concord, Walnut Creek area is nice.