News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

removing part from the chassis - possible?

Started by jesterCT, August 12, 2011, 07:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesterCT

Hi Guys.

Sorry, I have no idea how the following part is called but I am thinking about removing this part to clean it and to clean the area underneath.

Its the part at the rear wheel house area which is holding the shocks.

But I have no idea if this is making sense, so perhaps is not useful and dangerous.

Does somebody already removed this part (orange marked in the pic attached) ??
Are there only two places where its welded to the chassis?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Chatt69chgr

I believe the area underneath this part is open.  Why not just leave the part alone and sandblast it where it is. 

green69rt

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on August 12, 2011, 09:20:55 PM
I believe the area underneath this part is open.  Why not just leave the part alone and sandblast it where it is. 

This is the rear shock support cross member.  You can cut it out and clean it up but its a pretty thick piece of metal and if the rest of the bottom of the car was in good condition I'd just leave it in place and touch it up.  AMD makes a replacement if you want new metal.  Hardest part of this piece is getting underneath to make some of the welds.  Yours looks pretty good so if it was me I'd do the cleanup in place.

bill440rt

Leave it in.
If it's nice & solid and not rotted, just sandblast around the area & epoxy prime.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

jesterCT

Thanks guys.

I will leave it in and I will take more effort to sand blast it  (damn rubber coating).

I will post the result later.

jesterCT

Done.

I cleaned it, sand blasted it and primed it......