News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have I started? Daughter wants Dodge Charger for her first car... Should...

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, July 26, 2011, 08:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

What have I started? Daughter wants Dodge Charger for her first car... Should I entertain this, or buy her a nice Chevy Camaro?  :shruggy:

Maybe it has been all the episodes of the Dukes... Or maybe my love for the Charger??? Anyways, my daughter asked if I'd either give her one of my cars, or to buy her a Charger of her own... What's a Dad to do???  :shruggy:

Anyone else in the same boat - or has been in the same boat?  :popcrn:

My other daughter has eyes for the VW Beetle convertible w/ flower holder on the dash... How cute...  ::)

My gut reaction is to simply buy her the car she wants vs. driving something of mine - has worked well with my wife, keeping her out of my cars  :smilielol:

Thanks for your input  :Twocents:

ITSA426

My son drove one of my Chargers to high school occasionally.  I finally gave it to him after he finished college, got a job, got married, and bought a house.  It seemed like the right time.  Now he's got a garage.

41husk

I tried to get kids into mopars and nothing doing :brickwall: My daughter got a 2002 VW Beetle ( biggest piece of sh**) I am jelouse, I wish I could have spent some mopar time with my kids.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bobs66440

Does she want a NEW or OLD Charger?

I am a car guy through and through, but my son will be getting a safer, reliable, 4 cylinder newer car (most likely Japanese) for his first. Reasons being safety for an inexperienced driver and reliability so I won't have to fix it every other day. There is always time later on to get a Charger or whatever. It will most likely be a 2nd car project. Something he can learn on. He likes the Charger but he REALLY likes the 2nd gen Camaros, so who knows.   :Twocents:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

She wants a 1969 Dodge Charger  :2thumbs: I should have clarified  :yesnod:

I am probably the wrong person to consider cars - my first car was a Corvette. My second car, a year later, was a 1968 Dodge Charger  :coolgleamA: It was my HS shop "project" to keep me from having to fix cars brought to auto shop by the public  :2thumbs:

41husk

I bought my daughter a 74 Dodge Dart straight 6 because I could work on it!!!  I am  not sure it is her thing but she blew the motor in the VW, has no money and needs to get back and fourth to work.  So I guess she is a Mopar girl by default :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

grdprx

Get her the Charger!  That'd be so cool!  I'm working on my 6 year old son now.. trying to talk him in to it, his response to me is that he wants one that "runs!"  Cuz I'm always fixing mine...   Kids...   :slap:

terrible one

I learned SO MUCH from having to buy a shell at 15 and build my own, both about working on the car itself and about sticking with something and reaching your goals. It's only now that it's on the road, but I can honestly say that I'm glad I wasn't handed one. I wouldn't have appreciated my Charger NEARLY as much as I do now. I've known only two other "kids" that were given classics and they couldnt care less.

bobs66440

Quote from: terrible one on July 26, 2011, 09:18:44 PM
I learned SO MUCH from having to buy a shell at 15 and build my own, both about working on the car itself and about sticking with something and reaching your goals. It's only now that it's on the road, but I can honestly say that I'm glad I wasn't handed one. I wouldn't have appreciated my Charger NEARLY as much as I do now. I've known only two other "kids" that were given classics and they couldnt care less.
My point exactly  :yesnod:

bajaherbie

get her a charger!

my son has been a motor head all of his life ....i think his first words were vrroom, vrroom! when he was younger his room was orange with a rebel flag in it.... he found the 73 on ebay and i bought it for him as a reward for his good grades and attitude. in a few weeks he takes his drivers test and then it will be time to roll to school in his charger.   he has already picked out a place to park the car out of harms way!

HOTROD

I have the same problum but with my other car ,I told her U help me work on the Charger and maby ,so far no help so no car !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

HANDM

My daughter (16) wants to drive my Challenger as her H.S. car and the Boy (11) wants the Cuda for his, I've been grooming them for this their whole lives  :smilielol:

azfrench

I had a very similar expirience except she wanted a 65 Mustang.  I don't know where the hell she got that from cause I grew up hating Fords.  But, nontheless she wanted the Mustang.  She got straight A's in school and made very wise decisions and did not bring touble to herself or our family.  I set up a plan for her to save up and buy a mustang of her own so she would appreciate the car.  Well, she was doing just that and I saw the determination in her.  She continued to do very well in school and in her social life.  My wife and I decided to surprise her on her 16th birthday with a car.  I found a very nice 65 mustang with absolutely no rust at all.  My brother and I spent the next 8 months restoring the car and keeping it hidden from her.  We took her out to dinner on her 16th birthday.  We parked the car near the front of the resturant with a big, "For Sale" sign in the window.  When we walked out she noticed the car and went over to see what the price was.  The description read, "This car is only for sale to a special girl who would take good care of it and treat it with the respect it deserves.  This car was built by family members who sacraficed many nights to see it completed.  The person who buys this car must give thanks to these family members, and this means YOU (Daughters Name)."   She had the best look of confusion on her face.  I actually had to tell her it was her car.  She did not believe me until I gave her the keys and started the car for her.  It was great.  That was last year and she still loves the car and takes very good care of it.  I think she appreciates the car even though she didn't give a penny for it. 

Rick
1968 Charger

bull

That's a great story, Rick. :2thumbs:

Quote from: bobs66440 on July 26, 2011, 08:41:35 PM
Does she want a NEW or OLD Charger?

They make a new one? I guess I must have missed that because I haven't seen a new Charger since 1974. :shruggy:

Anyway, both my girls want a 68 or 69 Charger or a new Challenger. I'm thinking a used Challenger SE would obviously be more attainable by the time the first one is 16 (she's 11 now), assuming she's still interested or is even serious. Finding a decent 68 or 69 Charger wouldn't be any easier in five years than it is now and being able to afford another one that wouldn't need a full restoration would be almost impossible. With a few safety upgrades (like disc brakes, shoulder belts, headrests) I wouldn't have any problem with my daughters driving one. And I do love the thought of being able to work on a car that has no emissions BS.

RallyeMike

First car? No.

Buy her something newer that steers and brakes and has air bags and 3-point belts. You can buy her a Charger once she has some driving experience and proves that she is a responsible driver.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bull

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 27, 2011, 01:17:19 AM
First car? No.

Buy her something newer that steers and brakes and has air bags and 3-point belts. You can buy her a Charger once she has some driving experience and proves that she is a responsible driver.

Why? Are people dumber or less coordinated now than they were when you were 16? Was DEVO right?

Just 6T9 CHGR

First car? No.

Well said...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tan top

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 27, 2011, 05:30:17 AM
First car? No.

Well said...

:yesnod: :iagree:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RallyeMike

QuoteWhy? Are people dumber or less coordinated now than they were when you were 16? Was DEVO right?

The world is actually evolving, Bull. Sometime for the better (sometimes!)

You used to be able to drive anywhere you wanted with whomever when you turned 16. Now a lot of States have laws that keep young folks from driving at night, no other teens allowed unless accompanied by and adult, etc. Why? Because teen drivers as a statistical group don't have the skills to drive safely, and they are trying to actually do something about it. If you want to approach teen driving safely for your kid, I'd say start them off in a car with modern safety features so that if they make mistakes, perhaps they don't pay for it for the rest of their lives.

I wouldn't say kids are dumber, but I would say that they are perhaps less prepared than kids from the past who didn't spend every hour of their day in electronica-land, not to mention the distractions of cell phones, texting, etc. that most of us old kids didn't have to deal with.

I'm not saying that a teen should not have a Charger, but there should be an opportunity to learn, gain skills and show responsibility in something safe first.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

71green go

I would never buy my daughter an old car as her first car.......I could not imagine how I would worry about her driving around in a car that shouldnt be a daily driver....and the gas mileage....
Newer cars are far superior in everyway including safety....except the cool factor, the type of guys that would be hanging around her would also bother me if she was driving an old muscle car

My daughter is getting a honda or a Toyota....because I love her, not because I think it would be cool for her driving what I love

bull

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 27, 2011, 09:48:04 AM
QuoteWhy? Are people dumber or less coordinated now than they were when you were 16? Was DEVO right?

The world is actually evolving, Bull. Sometime for the better (sometimes!)

You used to be able to drive anywhere you wanted with whomever when you turned 16. Now a lot of States have laws that keep young folks from driving at night, no other teens allowed unless accompanied by and adult, etc. Why? Because teen drivers as a statistical group don't have the skills to drive safely, and they are trying to actually do something about it. If you want to approach teen driving safely for your kid, I'd say start them off in a car with modern safety features so that if they make mistakes, perhaps they don't pay for it for the rest of their lives.

I wouldn't say kids are dumber, but I would say that they are perhaps less prepared than kids from the past who didn't spend every hour of their day in electronica-land, not to mention the distractions of cell phones, texting, etc. that most of us old kids didn't have to deal with.

I'm not saying that a teen should not have a Charger, but there should be an opportunity to learn, gain skills and show responsibility in something safe first.

On the other hand I don't really agree with the idea of getting someone used to a car that has excellent stopping distance, great steering, ABS, 4-wheel disc brakes, traction control, etc., and then turning them loose on a 400-horsepower car that drives like a farm truck.

MoparMudMadness

Ahh, good luck deciding.  My wife and I bicker about this topic often.  Always said my Charger is for my son (about to turn 8) and my daugther (10) wants a mustang--like someone else said, don't know why always preach MOPAR.  I have a jacked up Ram that would probably be the girls' 1st ride but my wife doesn't like the ideas of her with that and him with the power...

1968 Charger R/T (in waiting)
1969 Charger SE (current project & converting to R/T)
1973 Dodge Powerwagon
1999 1500 Ram Sport

Musicman

My daughter wants my 67 (when I'm dead)... or a 2nd gen Hemi - Panther Pink - White interior - White Vinyl Top... or one of those new Cameros painted with the Bubble Bee theme from the movie.

What's a father to do... :lol:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 71green go on July 27, 2011, 10:00:42 AM
I would never buy my daughter an old car as her first car.......I could not imagine how I would worry about her driving around in a car that shouldnt be a daily driver....and the gas mileage....
Newer cars are far superior in everyway including safety....except the cool factor, the type of guys that would be hanging around her would also bother me if she was driving an old muscle car

My daughter is getting a honda or a Toyota....because I love her, not because I think it would be cool for her driving what I love

All out of Chevy, Ford, or Dodge in your town? Why buy foreign?  :popcrn:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: azfrench on July 27, 2011, 12:44:55 AM
I had a very similar expirience except she wanted a 65 Mustang.  I don't know where the hell she got that from cause I grew up hating Fords.  But, nontheless she wanted the Mustang.  She got straight A's in school and made very wise decisions and did not bring touble to herself or our family.  I set up a plan for her to save up and buy a mustang of her own so she would appreciate the car.  Well, she was doing just that and I saw the determination in her.  She continued to do very well in school and in her social life.  My wife and I decided to surprise her on her 16th birthday with a car.  I found a very nice 65 mustang with absolutely no rust at all.  My brother and I spent the next 8 months restoring the car and keeping it hidden from her.  We took her out to dinner on her 16th birthday.  We parked the car near the front of the resturant with a big, "For Sale" sign in the window.  When we walked out she noticed the car and went over to see what the price was.  The description read, "This car is only for sale to a special girl who would take good care of it and treat it with the respect it deserves.  This car was built by family members who sacraficed many nights to see it completed.  The person who buys this car must give thanks to these family members, and this means YOU (Daughters Name)."   She had the best look of confusion on her face.  I actually had to tell her it was her car.  She did not believe me until I gave her the keys and started the car for her.  It was great.  That was last year and she still loves the car and takes very good care of it.  I think she appreciates the car even though she didn't give a penny for it. 

Rick

Nice story!  :cheers:

GordonGriggs

My first car was the 1966 dodge charger that I still own. My mother bought it used on my 4th birthday. I told her then that I wanted it. I got the keys when I turned 16 but by then the car had sat in the yard for 5 years without running. I spent all summer cutting grass, babysitting, picking cans off the side of the road and other jobs just to get it running.
When I got it running my mother paid my insurance for 3 months, and gave me gas money for 1 month just to get me started. After that it was up to me to PAY for everthing myself.I got a job working 32-35 hours a week while I was still in High School. I never raced on the street, and to this day I have never had any kind of speeding ticket or any other moving violation. Although I did get a parking ticket when My 79 el camino broke down back in 1988.
  Nobody knows your daughter better than you. If you think she will be responsible and careful then I would get her a running, restorable 69 Charger.

RallyeMike

QuoteOn the other hand I don't really agree with the idea of getting someone used to a car that has excellent stopping distance, great steering, ABS, 4-wheel disc brakes, traction control, etc., and then turning them loose on a 400-horsepower car that drives like a farm truck. 

To really toughen them up and make sure they are worthy of driving an old car, make sure there is an exhaust leak into the cabin and keep the brake reservoir very low on fluid. If they survive that they'll be able to handle anything !

:nana:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

71green go

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on July 27, 2011, 11:21:08 AM

Because I would want the best for her......and where I live Toyota has one of the best plants in the world.......At my 50years of age I am tired of repeated trips to dealer to have my dodge/chevy cars fixed....my mazdas have been flawless..and my toyota trouble free
people state things like this but spend millions on aftermarket chinese stuff everyyear....whats the difference?

Charger_Dart

My daughter did not want my Charger but wanted to own my 70 Challenger RT SE. When it was time to sell that car she could not understand why I would sell it rather then give it to her to drive. I wanted her to have a much safer car that actually got something called gas mileage. Teen's never seem to have money for gas and our old Mopar's love to pass anything except for a gas station. I lucked out because my mother was ready to trade-in her VW Passat and decided to give it to her as a graduation gift. Its been a couple years since then and she still takes excellent care of the care and just used the polisher on it last weekend to make it shine a little more. She still misses the Challenger....a little.... 
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 71green go on July 27, 2011, 03:16:33 PM

Because I would want the best for her......and where I live Toyota has one of the best plants in the world.......At my 50years of age I am tired of repeated trips to dealer to have my dodge/chevy cars fixed....my mazdas have been flawless..and my toyota trouble free
people state things like this but spend millions on aftermarket chinese stuff everyyear....whats the difference?

Interesting...

None of the Ford or Chevrolet vehicles I have bought in he past decade ++ have needed anything other than maintenance. I do have a 14 y/o Ford which needs a new door lock motor. But that's it... Not bad over a 140,000 mile spread!

Regarding the millions to the chinese, I am with you! But then again, if I can buy a domestic alternative, I will. Cars, included  :cheers:

bull

Quote from: RallyeMike on July 27, 2011, 02:40:28 PM
QuoteOn the other hand I don't really agree with the idea of getting someone used to a car that has excellent stopping distance, great steering, ABS, 4-wheel disc brakes, traction control, etc., and then turning them loose on a 400-horsepower car that drives like a farm truck. 

To really toughen them up and make sure they are worthy of driving an old car, make sure there is an exhaust leak into the cabin and keep the brake reservoir very low on fluid. If they survive that they'll be able to handle anything !

Nah, wouldn't want the PC troopers coming down on me. Maybe I'll dress her in a hockey goalie uniform, wrap her in bubble wrap, put her in a Prius and then put the Prius inside a Volvo wagon before she goes anywhere. Better yet I'll just lock her in a padded room with 30-inch concrete walls, cut all ties to the outside world and never let her leave the house. You can never be too paranoid safe. I still don't know how anyone my age survived the seatbelt-free station wagon apocalypse of the 1970s.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: bull on July 27, 2011, 05:43:52 PM

Nah, wouldn't want the PC troopers coming down on me. Maybe I'll dress her in a hockey goalie uniform, wrap her in bubble wrap, put her in a Prius and then put the Prius inside a Volvo wagon before she goes anywhere. Better yet I'll just lock her in a padded room with 30-inch concrete walls, cut all ties to the outside world and never let her leave the house. You can never be too paranoid safe. I still don't know how anyone my age survived the seatbelt-free station wagon apocalypse of the 1970s.

Or even worse, we used to ride in the bed of a pickup truck - sitting on the top of the wheel well for a better view  :o

71green go

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on July 27, 2011, 04:02:54 PM
Quote from: 71green go on July 27, 2011, 03:16:33 PM

Interesting...

None of the Ford or Chevrolet vehicles I have bought in he past decade ++ have needed anything other than maintenance. I do have a 14 y/o Ford which needs a new door lock motor. But that's it... Not bad over a 140,000 mile spread!

Regarding the millions to the chinese, I am with you! But then again, if I can buy a domestic alternative, I will. Cars, included  :cheers:

Dont get me wrong...For me I would buy a new Challenger any day....but not for her

Cooter

Exactly...This is why when the kid wanted to get into an old car, the first thing he asked was it's gotta be a Mopar..So, I stuck him in a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II, 440, 4-speed, Dana 60 car....I thought I would have to hire a Plastic Surgeon to remove the grin from his face the first time he drove it.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

DrHemi

My first car was my 70 Charger. I learned to brake a little earlier and expect the slight pull to the left. Or not turn out unless I had plenty of room in case it sputtered. I think an old car as my first car made me a better driver (not to mention learning how to fix things). Plus it's all metal.
1938 Packard 120
1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (RIP due to code enforcement)
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si

1BAD68

Quote from: terrible one on July 26, 2011, 09:18:44 PM

My daughter turns 16 this month. last year I bought a used car for her that needed some work with the agreement that we would work on it together until she got her license and then it would be her car.
Once it was here, she had absolutely no interest in "working" on it. She went out and washed the windows one day like it was a huge chore.
It made me realize that this is how this "entitled generation" became to be.
So I put it on craigslist and sold it a week later, she came home and said "Dad where's my car?" I said get your own damn car and maybe you'll appreciate it a little more.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 1BAD68 on August 01, 2011, 10:00:26 AM
It made me realize that this is how this "entitled generation" became to be.

Very true... Sad, but true...  :Twocents:

Rolling_Thunder

budget wise...    I dont know what you're working with...     but what about buying her a little cheap commuter (used civic or something) and getting a project charger she can help build the way she wants it?   She would learn about cars and how to do basic fixes and would treat the car a lot better when it's done. There is a lot to say about the term Sweat Equity....      That way if she changes her mind down the road and for some reason doesn't want the Charger you can have a second one    :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on August 01, 2011, 10:50:24 AM
budget wise...    I dont know what you're working with...     but what about buying her a little cheap commuter (used civic or something) and getting a project charger she can help build the way she wants it?   She would learn about cars and how to do basic fixes and would treat the car a lot better when it's done. There is a lot to say about the term Sweat Equity....      That way if she changes her mind down the road and for some reason doesn't want the Charger you can have a second one    :shruggy:

Budget, under $25k

She will probably drive one of our "family  cars" when not driving whatever she ends up with - sweat equity is good! I know I learned lots on my old HS Charger bought as an auto shop project  :2thumbs:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

One daughter informed me yesterday, "when I grow up, I want to be just like you" - she wants to drive a Dodge Charger....

Brightyellow69rtse

charger as a first car is a nice thought at first. personally i wouldnt let either of my daughters have a old muscle car as a first car. while i agree most people didnt die back in the day not wearing seatbelts and riding in pickup beds. fact of the matter is new cars are just plain easier to drive in every possible way. plus i know theres no way i could have afforded to pay for the gas for a charger in high school and i worked ALOT!

oldgold69

my second son wanted a chevelle or a b body for his first car.  so he finds a decent 69 ss chevelle he could afford. so i let him buy it .  all  the ricers gave him trash   but he quieted them soon enough  he still has it  but is doing a restro on it  so if your daughter wants one  tell her to save her penneys  if they pay for it they appreciate it more  :Twocents:

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: HANDM on July 27, 2011, 12:13:50 AM
My daughter (16) wants to drive my Challenger as her H.S. car and the Boy (11) wants the Cuda for his, I've been grooming them for this their whole lives  :smilielol:

:cheers: I am positioning accordingly with my 5&7 yr olds  :nana: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Danny Gutierrez

My Daughter is getting my 69 Charger when she graduates. Plain and simple. She wants it and she will have it. Is it the safest option, No, but neither was letting her ride a bike or dance in Ballet. I guess I should have kept her in a bubble all her life. Much safer.
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

Danny Gutierrez

Quote from: bull on July 27, 2011, 05:43:52 PM

Well said Man!

Danny Gutierrez

My 1998 Neon lasted 11 years. My 1994 Ram is still on the road. My Charger is older than me!!

SRT-68

I agree with rolling thunder, Get her a Honda for everyday use and a project car for you two to build together. What she will learn while working on the project will be priceless later on in life. Basic mechanical and electrical knowledge will keep her from getting ripped of at dealers and by contracters in the future.

You guys will also get to spend some father, daughter time together building it, and there is nothing cooler than that.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

...she painted her nails orange for what I thought was Halloween - then she added "01" to them  :o

Dino

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on October 12, 2011, 11:04:40 AM
...she painted her nails orange for what I thought was Halloween - then she added "01" to them  :o

:smilielol:

Better go check if she cut her jeans up!  :scratchchin:

As much fun as it was to watch, the Dukes are not exactly the prime example of how to drive a 4 ton boat on the open road.

Personally I would not let anyone without some serious driving skills drive a Charger or any other old and powerful car, for the driver's safety and that of the people around him/her.  Later on in life, after some driving courses, by all means.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Dino on October 12, 2011, 11:48:41 AM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on October 12, 2011, 11:04:40 AM

:smilielol:

Better go check if she cut her jeans up!  :scratchchin:

As much fun as it was to watch, the Dukes are not exactly the prime example of how to drive a 4 ton boat on the open road.

Personally I would not let anyone without some serious driving skills drive a Charger or any other old and powerful car, for the driver's safety and that of the people around him/her.  Later on in life, after some driving courses, by all means.

I hear you - yet many of us survived, driving just like the Dukes, or powerful cars as teenagers  :cheers:

bajaherbie

yesterday after school my 16 yr. old son  was driving his 73 charger home from school.... at a stop light he sorta pulled out in front of a lady, she caught up with him and gave him the finger!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: bajaherbie on October 13, 2011, 12:53:14 PM
yesterday after school my 16 yr. old son  was driving his 73 charger home from school.... at a stop light he sorta pulled out in front of a lady, she caught up with him and gave him the finger!

Thumbs-up, or the "other" finger? :popcrn:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

aussiemuscle

if i had kids i'd want them to learn in a car that didn't do everything for them. Learn to drive rather than learn to steer.  :scratchchin:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I was thinking about this old thread today, as I bought my daughter a Charger a few months ago  :2thumbs:

1969 383 console car, coded with T7 and a tan interior, she has already learned a few things about the mechanical side of these machines.  :coolgleamA:

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on August 03, 2012, 12:09:27 PM
I was thinking about this old thread today, as I bought my daughter a Charger a few months ago  :2thumbs:

1969 383 console car, coded with T7 and a tan interior, she has already learned a few things about the mechanical side of these machines.  :coolgleamA:

She will be a mechanical wiz in a few months! :icon_smile_big:

BBD

DadsCharger00

Quote from: azfrench on July 27, 2011, 12:44:55 AM

Rick
That's awesome. Might just have to steal that way of giving the car to my dad....(obviously will have to reword a bit here and there) but that's awesome!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on August 03, 2012, 12:30:46 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on August 03, 2012, 12:09:27 PM

She will be a mechanical wiz in a few months! :icon_smile_big:

BBD

Knowing old Chargers, she'll be a mechanical engineer by the time she's 18 :scratchchin:

Ma Bell

Hi there I have a 69 charger RT/SE 440 2door vinyl top black on black column auto buddy seat
that is for sale if you are interested email me at charlene_rothwell@telus.net and I'll send pics etc
Asking $30,000 obo

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

wingcar

My first car was a 1966 Charger....second was a 1969 Charger RT/SE, third was a 1970 Superbird and fourth was a 1970 Challenger RT/SE...all before I got out of High school.......and I somehow survived High School without getting into trouble (much).....Get a Charger, then when she is tried of it.....it's all yours!   :yesnod:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: wingcar on August 03, 2012, 02:47:57 PM
My first car was a 1966 Charger....second was a 1969 Charger RT/SE, third was a 1970 Superbird and fourth was a 1970 Challenger RT/SE...all before I got out of High school.......and I somehow survived High School without getting into trouble (much).....Get a Charger, then when she is tried of it.....it's all yours!   :yesnod:

Yeah, I survived somehow, getting a fast car when I was 16... Of course, this was all before passive seatbelts and airbags, too...

Anyways, She's got her Charger (an XP29G9Bxxxxxx car) and I have mine (an XS29L9Bxxxxxx car)  :2thumbs: But if she grows out of it, I'll be glad to take it off her hands  :scratchchin:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on July 26, 2011, 08:05:30 PM
What have I started? Daughter wants Dodge Charger for her first car... Should I entertain this, or buy her a nice Chevy Camaro?  :shruggy:

Maybe it has been all the episodes of the Dukes... Or maybe my love for the Charger??? Anyways, my daughter asked if I'd either give her one of my cars, or to buy her a Charger of her own... What's a Dad to do???  :shruggy:

Anyone else in the same boat - or has been in the same boat?  :popcrn:

My other daughter has eyes for the VW Beetle convertible w/ flower holder on the dash... How cute...  ::)

My gut reaction is to simply buy her the car she wants vs. driving something of mine - has worked well with my wife, keeping her out of my cars  :smilielol:

Thanks for your input  :Twocents:

Other daughter found a nice VW convertible.  ::) Ugh...

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: cdr on August 03, 2012, 05:02:49 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on August 03, 2012, 03:53:16 PM
Pics???
i am sure you dont want pics of a VW  :smilielol:

Agreed on the VW pics, nobody wants to see that  :yesnod:

Regarding the XP Charger, I don't have any good pics to post right now...

BigBlackDodge

My first car was a '74 Vega....4 cyl.....yeah....

I tried to get into trouble, I really did. But it never happened. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

BBD

bull

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on October 16, 2011, 11:31:09 AM
Went looking at a 1969 for her yesterday... No luck...  :cheers:

I know where there's a 69 383/4spd for sale but it needs some work. Not the kind of work most of them need though. It was a decent runner/driver until the owner put it in a ditch so the current "caretakers" are recommending it get new front frame rails, inner drivers side fender and outer fender. There's also a pair of shallow dents in the drivers door and quarter. The car plus repairs would come to about $22k IIRC.

Contact the Smith Bros. if interested: http://www.smithbrosrestorations.com/

PS - they do not own the car but it is being stored by them and they are well-qualified to do the repairs. They are also very knowledgable and trustworthy.