News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1972 Charger Tail Panel

Started by mopar6672, July 21, 2011, 10:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar6672

I am looking for someone to post a photo of the access holes that are punched through the panel between the rear bumper and deck lid seal on my 72 Charger. I believe these holes exist to gain access to a taillight housing bolt, only one hole per side. It appears someone removed the taillights from my car and hacked these holes up for more clearance. I need to repair this sheetmetal since I am very close to laying new paint on the car. Any help will be appreciated. 

1972Rallye

Not exactly sure what specific area you're looking at.  Try to see if a couple pics in this thread help...

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=memberschargers&thread=10748&page=1#62826

gschmidt211

This is the rear of my '72 Rallye.
1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

71charger_fan

If you mean the round holes, one on each side, they are to pass the wiring harness through and the rubber plugs molded to the harness pop in and seal them. All the bolts and nuts holding the bumper assembly to the car are inside the trunk. Unless you're a miracle worker, you need to pull the bumper assembly to access the taillight assembly hardware.

mopar6672

I very much appreciate the information but these pictures still do not show the hole. I used one of the pictures posted to narrow the location of the hole which is inside the red circled area and can only be easily seen with the deck lid up. I could have explained this much better if my car were at my house. If someone is willing to give it one more shot, I still would appreciate a closeup picture of this hole.

CDN72SE

Here's the driver's side of my '72. No holes on mine.

Unless you are speaking of the area that looks like a rectangle with the welded piece.

1972 Charger SE

mopar6672

Thanks. This is exactly the shot I was looking for. The holes in the drip rail on my car look like they were punched at the factory yet your car does not have them. Where was your car built? My car was built at Lynch Road. Thanks again.

CDN72SE

Mine is Lynch Rd. as well, build date 07/71 and you're welcome for the pix.
1972 Charger SE