News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are they making a metal 70 Charger hood yet?

Started by xx29440charger, July 25, 2011, 05:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xx29440charger

I know they make a glass hood. I need a metal one and was just wondering if they started making a metal hood for a 70 Charger. I heard aprx last year that some company was going to start making them.
THANKS FOR ANY INFO MY FELLOW CHARGER BROTHERS AND SISTERS! :2thumbs:

DAY CLONA

Contact classicbodydesigns for an ETA on their 70 steel hood, Ron Lushia owner, 1 248 624 5952

70 Charger RT

I have an extra 70 hood.  It needs a little work but it in not bad shape.  It's located near Edmonton, Alberta.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Orange_Crush

Every year, when I go to Carlisle, it seems that the swap is FULL of '70 Charger hoods and the prices are always pretty reasonable.  Hoods didn't rust out like quarter panels so there are plenty of 'em left.  I don't know how much a high quality repop hood is gonna cost, but I guarantee, that the used hoods are gonna be cheaper.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

moparstuart

Quote from: Orange_Crush on July 26, 2011, 09:16:11 AM
Every year, when I go to Carlisle, it seems that the swap is FULL of '70 Charger hoods and the prices are always pretty reasonable.  Hoods didn't rust out like quarter panels so there are plenty of 'em left.  I don't know how much a high quality repop hood is gonna cost, but I guarantee, that the used hoods are gonna be cheaper.
actually 70 hoods are really bad about rusting out in the latch hump under side of the hood , I have been looking for a decent one for a long time
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Magnumcharger

Quote from: 70 Charger RT on July 26, 2011, 08:33:15 AM
I have an extra 70 hood.  It needs a little work but it in not bad shape.  It's located near Edmonton, Alberta.

And its purple and black...
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

70 Charger RT

QuoteAnd its purple and black..

Ahhhhh, you know it well.

How are you doing Robin?
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

70sixpkrt

Who makes the glass hood? I am looking for a glass lift off hood for my '70.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on July 28, 2011, 04:44:36 PM
Who makes the glass hood? I am looking for a glass lift off hood for my '70.

I got mine from here: http://usbodysource.com/ 

It was generally fine, as far as fiberglass parts go. 

ACUDANUT

Quote from: moparstuart on July 26, 2011, 11:22:13 AM
actually 70 hoods are really bad about rusting out in the latch hump under side of the hood , I have been looking for a decent one for a long time

Stuart, Do you have a 70 Charger  :shruggy:

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 29, 2011, 09:10:54 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 26, 2011, 11:22:13 AM

Stuart, Do you have a 70 Charger  :shruggy:
No, he has a Daytona clone.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70sixpkrt

QuoteI got mine from here: http://usbodysource.com/ 

Do you have any pics of it? How did you like it?

AKcharger

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on July 30, 2011, 02:37:03 PM
QuoteI got mine from here: http://usbodysource.com/ 

Do you have any pics of it? How did you like it?

Sure, but it just looks like a hood from the outside.  If you want me to take pictures of the underside, etc., let me know, and I'll get you what you need.

Also, one of the hood spring attachment points was misaligned, and the body man had to do fiberglass work to get it to even fit correctly.  I never noticed, since the body work was all completely farmed out.  I'm not sure if that's a manufacturing defect that goes across all the hoods or if it was just mine.

70sixpkrt

Looks good. Do you have any underside pics? Did your body man have to do anything else to the hood? I was thinking of getting that hood and having them put a 6pack scoop on it. And I will be using the pin kit on all 4 sides so I dont need the hinges.

Vainglory, Esq.

Hang on, I'll go snap some.  I apologize in advance for the poor lighting.  It's just my garage.

Vainglory, Esq.

Vainglory, Esq.

Vainglory, Esq.

Vainglory, Esq.

With better lighting - you'll notice, of course, that the underside doesn't have the stock bracing, etc.  If you're making a racecar or a clone like mine, that's probably not a huge deal, but it's good to know.

Vainglory, Esq.

Here is where the hood springs attach.  I know you said you wouldn't need them, but maybe somebody's interested.

You'll also need lighter hood springs; stock ones will warp the hood.

Vainglory, Esq.

It's a bit hard to tell, but this is leaning over the fender and with the camera pointed to the front of the car.  I thought some out there might want to see where the hood-mounted turn signals would attach if I had any.

70sixpkrt

Thanks for the pics. When your driving on the freeway, does the hood want to open since there is no hood latch? Do you like it overall?

Vainglory, Esq.

The fastest I've ever gone is about freeway speed; maybe 65-70.  At that speed, there wasn't any problem with the lack of hood latch.  I didn't notice any buffeting or feel any pulling.  The hood pins worked just fine.  I can't vouch for the faster speeds one might encounter on a track.

And as far as how I like it, I'm pleased overall with the fit and finish.  It's not as perfect as the stock hood may have been, but my original one was mangled.  If I had it to do over again, I'd still go the 'glass route, I think.  The springs could use a little adjustment for panel gap fit, but there's very little warp on this hood.