News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What pressure radiator cap are you guys using?

Started by RECHRGD, July 25, 2011, 09:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I've been taking the grandkids for some charger rides while here in Omaha on the way to the Indy gig.  It's been pretty hot and yesterday it burped out probably a quart of coolant after stopping at a car show for awhile.  It was not overheating really (about 205* with pusher fan running).  I've noticed even in cooler weather it will burp out coolant if I try to keep the radiator full.  It seems to seek a level that is less than the capacity of the after market aluminum radiator.  I have been running a 13 lb. cap for several years.  Yesterday I got a 16lb. cap to try.  I'll put it on today and refill the radiator to see what happens.  Any thoughts?  Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

68 RT

You are over filling the radiator, the liquid has to have room to expand. A down flow radiator should be fille just to cover the tubes. A cross flow radiator, should be around 2 inchs from the top.   :cheers:

RECHRGD

Quote from: 68 RT on July 25, 2011, 11:10:23 AM
You are over filling the radiator, the liquid has to have room to expand. A down flow radiator should be fille just to cover the tubes. A cross flow radiator, should be around 2 inchs from the top.   :cheers:

Correct..We came to that conclusion last year when it would burp out a certain abount of coolant and then be fine.  My concern now is that the car has gone through several heating cycles and never lost any coolant until yesterday.  Do you see any problem using a 16lb. cap?
13.53 @ 105.32

maxwellwedge

16lb cap is a factory normal stock cap rating. Should be good.

RECHRGD

13.53 @ 105.32

68X426

16 pound and a catch can work just fine for me. :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud