News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Restoration Shop recommendations East of the Mississippi

Started by AKcharger, July 25, 2011, 02:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Good day Gents. I'm looking for a REPUTABLE restoration shop on the east coast. Car is presently in PA but don't have a problem with traveling a bit to drop the car off. Here's my priories:

1) MUST be establish, reputable and can prove it! I've read WAY too many horror stories on this site about shops that fold and customers cars simply vanish or at best are left as shells with all the valuable parts sold off.

2) Quality- prefer a "mopar only" shop but as long as they have documented quality work, I'm good

3) Speed - Need a place that will not push it to the back. I'm looking for a professional shop that once it comes in the shop they work it till complete...I'm thinking 4-6 months tops

4) Cost - I'm painfully aware of how much a full restoration costs but still have a budget, any $60K+ places are out

Thanks in advance and any members that how shops I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

gtx6970

What is needed? and to what level is the end result desired? And how soon do you want to start ?

I'll have an opening in the next 30 to 60 days , but my primary painter is tied up till winter or early spring. I have a seconday painter but don't know what his schedule is like

AKcharger

Total disassembly, clean (media blast) and reassemble and paint. A lot of work is already done as I did a restration back in 2003 but I had to cut some corners and it will need to be redone. So figure complete resto minus interior, engine and other bits normally repaired along the way...like bumpers are already rechromed.

I suspect it will be one of the nicest cars a shop will tear into!

(GTX look for a PM)

71charger_fan

It's not a restoration shop, but for an excellent Mopar-knowledgeable body shop, I'd recommend R.F. Autobody on East St. in Frederick, MD.

Charger_Dart

I took mine to American Muscle Car Restorations in N. Kingstown RI. He had a display at Carlisle this year, so you might have seen some of his work. He did a great job on my '68 Charger and it was not a full blown restoration project because my car is a driver. The shop works on mostly Mopar's and knows them well. Mike is not cheap, but does excellent work.   :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

AKcharger

Vainglory, Esq.

ksquared

If you will settle for 3 out of 4 of the initial requirements, you can contact Gary Robbins at Solid Gold Classics.  The phone number is 276-679-1958.  You will probably have to give up the speedy requirement, although when they get going the work progresses.  But I'm willing to wait for the high quality work.  They won some big AACA national award for a '34 Chevy restoration.  They are located in Norton VA, so the cost is a bit less than a shop located in a big city.

BananaDan

Quote from: gtx6970 on July 25, 2011, 06:37:53 AM
What is needed? and to what level is the end result desired? And how soon do you want to start ?

I'll have an opening in the next 30 to 60 days , but my primary painter is tied up till winter or early spring. I have a seconday painter but don't know what his schedule is like

Bill's the man. If I come across a future project, it's headed his way.  :2thumbs:
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

71ChallengeHer

Tom Bortner is in Spring Grove , PA. He is a Mopar guy and does awesome work. Here's his # 717-968-5455. He painte d my brother's car. Eric is a member here. You can talk to him about it.

major body and motor man

Do yourself a huge favor and don't worry about too much money. Fair amount yes but not cheap skate either. I have been restoring cars for years and am in the process of opening a big place so I know the business. Putting a time limit on it is only going to cause you problems also. It's going to cause you stress and your restro guy stress and that leads to just a bit of tension when something unexpected comes up. Haul ass jobs, that's where the scabs and bondo slappers usually prosper. Good quality body work takes time and a lot of time! People who ask me to whip out a car never seem to grasp the idea that quality takes time. I'm not bashing on you I just don't want you to end up like a woman who asked me to restore her 70 chevelle SS (beautiful car when she asked me) I gave her the time frame and the price tag (which was cheap for a complete resto) and she went to another shop and they told her I was full of it and they could do it way cheaper and way faster. When she came back and told me this I told her OKAY!! A year later she came back to me and was complaining about the work and I told her I hated to use the old addage "I told you so". To say the least I turned down the car when she asked me again cause I was not going to go through the headache of fixing their mess and have them boosting that they did the car. Plus I was a little pissed at her in the first place for thinking I was running a fly by night quick buck. I still see her and the car around and the bondo has rotted the entire rear quarters out when before there was just an inch or so of wheel well rot. And she still bothers me about restoring it for her. I could tell you hundreds of horror stories  so please do your car a favor and use a good shop and use a guy who knows what the hell he is doing. Your not only paying for his knowledge, but his tools he's shelled out big money for, his stress levels when things don't fit right, his passion for quality work, his building, electricity, his years of making expensive mistakes that he won't repeat on your car, I could on and on and on. That's why it isn't cheap. IF it were easy money hell everyone would be turning out #1 quality cars and they wouldn't be that rare. Like I said before I'm not your mother and I'm not riding you I'm just a professional giving some friendly advise and I hope it is taken that way. Happy hunting and if you need any help don't hesitate to ask.