News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 440 will not start

Started by dodgedarren, July 22, 2011, 01:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgedarren

have a fresh rebuilt 440 that I upgraded to Chrysler electronic ignition.
Engine ran fine during the cars restoration but when I went start in last
week it was a no go. I check for spark on the coil and plugs and also
the fuel supply is good. I pulled the the #2 plug and it looks sooty.
Could the plugs have fowled from just running the car at low RPMs?
Also is backfired out of the carb prior to having the no start issue.
Its a Edelbrock 750cfm. I was told to check if my oil smell like gas
and it does. What should I try next?

Back N Black

Back firing out the carb. sounds like a timing issue. Are you at #1 on the compression stroke? sounds like you are 180* out. (exhaust stroke). Definitely change the oil if there is gas in there.

Troy

Timing. See my post in your other thread about where to begin.

Does it turn over easily or does it buck? Disconnect the vacuum to the distributor - and plug the port at the carb - to set the initial timing after you get it started of course. Check for spark (any plug) and make sure it's nice and hot (blue or white). If it's orange or there's no spark then check the voltage at the + side of the coil and at the ECU box (I can't remember which wire is the main power right now but it's probably blue or brown). Once you verify spark start looking to the fuel. Make sure there's fuel in the bowls (mine sometimes boils out) and that you have pressure in the lines. Sometimes you can splash a little fuel in the carb to get it turning over fast enough to crank the fuel pump. It's possible that you're flooding it too. Make sure the idle isn't set so high that the carb is running on the main circuit. I can't tell you initial carb settings but if you post information about your setup (stock, Holley, Edelbrock?) others will be able to I'm sure.

The car will (should) start with fuel, air, and spark in the right combination. If you had it started before you're close so figure out what has changed.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Paul G

If your oil smells like gas, something else you should look at is your fuel pump. If the diaphram is shot, you could be pumping fuel directly in to the crank case.

When did you upgrade to the electronic ignition? Did the car run well after the upgrade? Are the ignition components new? Faulty?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#