News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket fuel injection

Started by Paul G, December 07, 2009, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamkuda

I think you nailed it. :2thumbs:  There is likely no difference in peak power with all variables the same.    

Some Thoughts:
You can have different control with efi.  You can see more what variables may affect performance (such as coolant temperature or exhaust gas temp) and adjust the amount of fuel applied which can help with part throttle power. Part Throttle performance at different engine loads can be improved.

In EFI, you start with Base Table that the computer looks such as Volumetric Efficiency,  A/F/ Spark Table. Once your base table are done it can automatically adjust the A/F and timing to fine tune itself or you can force it to run standard tables

And it can automatically adjust for such things as change in altitude and air intake temperature for good performance under changing conditions

Personal Opinions... Carb Distributor versus EFI crank trigger
I have carb on my Cuda and it runs great.  I adjusted the distributor, old school (welded up the slots to limit timing to 18 initial and 36 total, used a lighter spring to get the timing to come in earlier, which the 408 likes. The holley is relatively easy to adjust, It was lean off idle and I added a larger squirter etc.  It has a part throttle lean that I need to address.

I wanted EFI on my Road Runner is because I am going to a procharger after and I wanted to try the new technology.  It was new for me so a bit of a daunting task.    :shruggy:
I needed to cut the 7 reluctors of the distributor to let the box get a cam signal.  Adjustments to get the crank trigger to fit with all the other stuff like pulley spacing, alternator placement etc.  Fitting the intake elbow and getting the sensors in place. Wiring! Plumbing for a "overbuilt" fuel system" with anticipation of a bigger horsepower powerplant.
Being an old Mopar there is little market for the products so custom work needs to be done.  Its nice that you can buy a efi victor intake without having to drill for efi.

It is expensive and a lot more work compared to a carb.

It has adjustability like nothing else.  I like to be able to see all sorts of info and its affect on performance.  (You can save data as it is running, ie 1/4 mile blast)

For me, it was a step learning curve and I have only got the car started,
I am running just the 500 inch engine (no procharger yet) and will learn the EFI system this year.  It is a challenge but I like that.

I don't think it will be that fast but I have a bet with a buddy who thinks it will be quicker than I do.

Just my humble opinion :cheers:
It you want an easy, effective system that works well, proven and give great performance, get a carb, get the timing right and then tune for performance.

If you want more control and have the ability to fine tune Timing and A/F and have a system that can adjust so that the performance is great regardless of outside conditions, have a look at EFI.  There is a whole fuel economy part, but that was not part of my equation.  The Boxed systems may be much easier to setup than the system I had built (with help)

mhinders

What attracts me with EFi is that you get full control over injection and ignition, at your fingertips.

Imagine an engine with a giant intake, cam with big overlap and late closing intake valves, all resulting in low vacuum and slow intake air speed. It may be difficult to get a big carb to supply the correct mixture at idle and low revs.
With an EFI system you can set the mixture/ignition very exact to whatever this engine needs to make it streetable.
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

suntech

A little bit OT here, but still a story that is about aftermarket  EFI , and the different benefits.
I stand behind my earlier statement when we are talking about our "old fashion" single camshaft engines, that there is not much peak power gain to find with EFI versus carb, but....with modern dual cam setups, that is also adjustable, it is a completely different ballgame!!
There is just too many variables available to be able to get it right, you will need a good EFI system, and full control on timing..........and a dyno!!!!

I have told here earlier ( in a E 85 thread) that i am involved in rallycross (dirttrack) racing, and mostly handle engine (2,4 litre 4 syl 16 valve DOHC) and suspention on the car.
For this year we upgraded the motor a bit. What we did was to stroke it, with a forged crank with 1,2 mm longer stroke, to come as close to class limit as possible. ( 1,6 % volume increase).
We got pistons with wristpin 0,6mm further up, to have an identical combustion chamber and clearances on TDC. ( volume increase gave us a 2,6 % CR increase ).
We set it up with the same cam timing, and same map, and started up in the dyno. WE WERE WITHIN 0,5 % OF THE LAST YEARS CURVE !!!
Confused?? We were too  :brickwall: Then we started to play around, and things started to happen!! Remember that we putted a lot of time into the mapping and cam timing last year, so we did not have any "unleashed" power sitting there from last year!
We ended up with a 0,7mm more advanced inlet cam, and 0,3 mm more advanced exhaust cam, more fuel on some spots, less fuel on other.......more ign. timing on some spots......less on others!!!!
End of story was same peak horsepower, but a 12% INCREASE OF  PEAK TORQUE, AND A POWERBAND WE WOULD NOT EVEN DARE TO DREAM ABOUT!!
We got 17 % more HP on 4700 rpm, and peak torque moved down from 6100 rpm to 5900 rpm!!
Pretty amazing if you ask me!!

This would in my opinion be absolutely impossible to find without a good EFI system and the opportuneties it has, and ofcause the dyno :Twocents:

I bet there are a lot of "unleashed" power sitting around in many engines!! :shruggy:

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

mhinders

Quote from: suntech on April 16, 2011, 09:00:00 AM
I bet there are a lot of "unleashed" power sitting around in many engines!! :shruggy:
Absolutely! I have myself in my current engine lots of that due the lack of a system that allows me to have full control of the engine...next summer the situation will be different... ;D
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

dodgechar

Read all that efi  vs carb threads and kept thinking  my 750 holley and a overdrive tranny add on would produce high  speed  top end & gas millage  in my 440hp. Less all the programming and efi wiring.  Carbs got about $250 -300 in trail and error tunning & very good street manners. Step into it and  yepi. I  thought adding overdrive to the situation might be better and less effort than  efi.  Close to the $ 2500 mark.    In the words of ,dirty mary and crazy larry,  UNLIMITED.    Im more of open highway  kinda guy that that short torque and stop stuff,  although I love that too.  3:91 gears & overdrive.                       What say you?

Paul G

Quote from: dodgechar on July 25, 2011, 07:23:32 PM
         Read all that efi  vs carb threads and kept thinking  my 750 holley and a overdrive tranny add on would produce high  speed  top end & gas millage  in my 440hp. Less all the programming and efi wiring.  Carbs got about $250 -300 in trail and error tunning & very good street manners. Step into it and  yepi. I  thought adding overdrive to the situation might be better and less effort than  efi.  Close to the $ 2500 mark.    In the words of ,dirty mary and crazy larry,  UNLIMITED.    Im more of open highway  kinda guy that that short torque and stop stuff,  although I love that too.  3:91 gears & overdrive.                       What say you?

That is my set up, almost. My A518 is at the rebuilders. Should be going in the car in a few weeks. I am running a Holley 750 with 3.91 gears as well, just with a 360. I decided to put this years throw away money in to an OD trans instead of fuel injection this time around. Next year maybe, a small block Hemi. A518 bolts right up from what I hear. Still want to use the original long runner intake with a cable operated throttle body. And Hemi coil covers.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

dodgechar

So why the od instead of efi this time?   just wondering , I'm thinking same money about.

Paul G

In my situation the OD will make riding in the car a whole lot nicer. Lower cruise RPM, but keeping the 3.91's I still get good off the line performance. Just a better bang for the buck right now. And with my goal down the road being a small block Hemi, fuel injecting the 360 is probably money wasted. The FI parts are probably not usable on the Hemi, other than maybe the fuel delivery system.   
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

dodgechar

Thinking the same w/ 3:91s. Also more top end on the highway. Maybe better gas milage.   And just like   saying Overdrive!  Someday for me someday.   thanks

Budnicks

Quote from: Paul G on December 07, 2009, 05:07:02 PM
Is anyone running fuel injection? Edelbrock makes a kit, I saw it on Mancini's website. Pro Flow also makes a kit. One of the mags did an article on the Pro Flo kit a while back. They gave it very good remarks.

My 72 is basically a street brawler. The 360 is very strong, but kind of finicky on the street. very touchy peddle, tip in kind of knocks you back in your seat. I love it!

My fuel pump is going south, being the cheap azz I am I would rather put the $100 toward a $3000 fuel injection set-up.

Tell me what you guys think.   
Check out   www.FBthrottlebodies.com  they make some very cool options for Mopars & EFI even a 'six pack' version, they are really good guys & are competitively priced...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks