News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keisler rs 600

Started by Hudson Hornet !, July 20, 2011, 07:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Hornet !

Hello folks, I am looking at getting the keisler rs 600 tranny for my 68 charger. I have a healthy 431 ( 550 hp) and I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with this tranny, and how it will hold up to hard launches on dot radials. I like the fact that is is a bolt in deal, but I do not want to grenade it as soon as I get it! Thanks in advance for any help.
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

Rolling_Thunder

doubt anyone has much experience with them - I wasn't even aware they were out yet               
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Hudson Hornet !

Rolling thunder, Keisler was advertising them on ebay, so I figured they were in stock..... maybe I am wrong.  Okay, do you know of any other options that will give me overdrive, fit nice, and will hold up to alot of stress?

rooks

The RS that is out is for GM's and Fords. Last I read a couple weeks back is they hadn't even engineered a tailshaft for the Mopar version yet. Doubt it'll see the light of day this year.

You can try the Passon Hemi Overdrive 4 Speed - Direct bolt in. Tough as guts.

They do have a 5 speed in the works, but again, has been pending for awhile. No clear release date in sight.

ITSA426

I've got a Passon overdrive four speed in my 440 car.  So far, I'm impressed.  Bolt in and go. 

My experience with Kiesler is all bad, so I wouldn't even consider dealing with him.

Chryco Psycho

I agree Passon is a top quailty product & great to deal with .
My experience with Keisler has been excatly the same as above ..... if you can't say anything nice .........
Deal with anyone else but Keisler

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 24, 2011, 02:00:48 PM
I agree Passon is a top quailty product & great to deal with .
My experience with Keisler has been excatly the same as above ..... if you can't say anything nice .........
Deal with anyone else but Keisler

^ word...      I've had some run in with them as well...        not a good outcome.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Charger-Bodie

I will say that my experience with Kiesler was great as far as customer service is concerned. The transmission itself was another story. I wont do that again.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 24, 2011, 07:12:56 PM
I will say that my experience with Kiesler was great as far as customer service is concerned. The transmission itself was another story. I wont do that again.

What was your experience?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Hudson Hornet !

Thanks to you fellows that have offered advice. Now let me ask one more question. I currently have a 23 spline tranny and would like more strength for future engines( 528-572 hemi).  Would I be better off with a rebuilt 18 spline tranny, or the Passon overdrive 833?  I know the new passon tranny will be out but it is at a pretty steep price. ( My hemi will be built slowly as time allows- Cant afford it all at once, and the car currently has a hot 431 b engine in it.)

Anyways, which tranny would be stronger? 18spline 833 or the passon 833 overdrive?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on July 24, 2011, 09:31:59 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 24, 2011, 07:12:56 PM

What was your experience?

Shifter rattled (vibrated) when accelerating hard in 3rd gear.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

rooks

Quote from: Hudson Hornet ! on July 24, 2011, 11:13:51 PM
Thanks to you fellows that have offered advice. Now let me ask one more question. I currently have a 23 spline tranny and would like more strength for future engines( 528-572 hemi).  Would I be better off with a rebuilt 18 spline tranny, or the Passon overdrive 833?  I know the new passon tranny will be out but it is at a pretty steep price. ( My hemi will be built slowly as time allows- Cant afford it all at once, and the car currently has a hot 431 b engine in it.)

Anyways, which tranny would be stronger? 18spline 833 or the passon 833 overdrive?

18 spline is the preferred choice for the higher HP offerings.

The Passon OD can be bought as a drop in gear-set, but they also offer a complete rebuilt tranny. The offer the choice of 18 or 23 spline, as well as cast iron or aluminium casings.

$1800 for the gear-set, or $3000 for the complete rebuilt transmission with their OD gear-set.

Here's the flyer with all the particulars: http://www.passonperformance.com/images/stories/passon_documents/Passon_Overdrive_Flyer_20091109.pdf

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 25, 2011, 03:23:27 AM

This was a problem with quite a few. It was something to do with the shifter tower on some of the earlier generation offerings. Keisler offered replacements for it and it fixed the issue with their 3rd gen shifter tower.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: rooks on July 25, 2011, 03:49:55 AM

The Passon OD can be bought as a drop in gear-set, but they also offer a complete rebuilt tranny. The offer the choice of 18 or 23 spline, as well as cast iron or aluminium casings.

$1800 for the gear-set, or $3000 for the complete rebuilt transmission with their OD gear-set.

Here's the flyer with all the particulars: http://www.passonperformance.com/images/stories/passon_documents/Passon_Overdrive_Flyer_20091109.pdf

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on July 25, 2011, 03:23:27 AM

This was a problem with quite a few. It was something to do with the shifter tower on some of the earlier generation offerings. Keisler offered replacements for it and it fixed the issue with their 3rd gen shifter tower.

They sent me a diff tower. This would have been in June of 2008. was there one newer yet than that?

That didn't cure it so the actually sent me a complete differant transmission. It was better, but still had the rattle. in 3rd just not as bad.

They really did try to take good care of me . in the end I think it just wasnt meant to be.

Chatt69chgr

I know this thread is about the Keisler RS600 but since the Passon 5-speed was mentioned I thought I would pass along my conversation with them last week.

I talked to Passon the other day concerning his in the works 5-speed.  He said he is still working with the foundry to get the tail housing for the B-body.  This was a week ago and he said he was going to pick one up that day.  I mentioned that I had heard that they had made a engineering change to the transmission.  He said that they have some units that they are field testing ( I believe on A bodies) and that they experienced a issue with it being hard to engage 1st gear.  Whatever the problem was, they have supposedly fixed it.  I told him that I was glad they were doing this as I would rather they found this out now than later.  Based on listening to him , I have a feeling it will be late in the year before we see these transmissions.  It sure seems like it's taking him a long time to get this thing to market but I guess being a small shop he just doesn't have the resources to devote full time to it and maintain his normal business.  Fortunately, I don't need the trans yet so it isn't hurting my build.  If he ever gets this to market and it is as advertised, it will be a nice product.  I am holding out for one.  If it doesn't come to pass, I'll go with a 18 spline A833 and put a overdrive on the back of it.   

Troy

Quote from: rooks on July 25, 2011, 03:49:55 AM

Actually, I don't believe you can get either (the 4-speed OD gear set or the 5-speed) in a 23 spline. You can install the OD gear set in a 23 spline case.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rooks

Quote from: Troy on July 25, 2011, 10:31:02 AM

Actually, I don't believe you can get either (the 4-speed OD gear set or the 5-speed) in a 23 spline. You can install the OD gear set in a 23 spline case.

Troy

I believe their new 5 Speed will be 18 spline only, but according to that flyer and their website, for the OD 4 speed box you have a choice of either 18 or 23.

Troy

Quote from: rooks on July 25, 2011, 03:31:22 PM
Quote from: Troy on July 25, 2011, 10:31:02 AM

Troy

I believe their new 5 Speed will be 18 spline only, but according to that flyer and their website, for the OD 4 speed box you have a choice of either 18 or 23.

Ummm, no. Maybe they need a lesson in clear communication. :P

At the top of the flyer it mentions the shortcomings of the original 23 spline OD Mopar trans. Just below it mentions 18 spline as one of the benefits of the Passon OD.

At the bottom of the flyer there's a section titled "About Passon Performance" with a list of things they do under "We Offer". Those are services that they perform - which does include rebuilding original 18 and 13 spline transmissions. Those rebuilds, however, are factory style and do NOT include the OD gear set.

According to the thread on Moparts there's no intention of making a 23 spline input shaft for the 5-speed transmission. I believe the same logic applies to the 4-speed OD gear set.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rooks

Yup, you're correct. Just re-read the flyer, then checked over their website. Their OD gear-set for the 4 speed does indeed appear to be 18 spline specific.

Their mentioning of the 23 spline boxes is in realtion to the general rebuilding services they offer as a dedicated transmission shop.

Apologies if I've created any confusion. :D