News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

windscreen queastion

Started by westcoastdodge, July 20, 2011, 02:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoastdodge

how difficult would it be to fit the windscreen,is it something i could maybe do or get a windscreen guy to come and fit it,the screen itself has cost me £230 so do not want to break it :eek2:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

twodko

Top 'o the day to you Ray! The front windshield uses a gasket so I think, with help, 2 guys should easily be able to set the glass in place. Check some threads here for any tips on the use of adhesive as well. Others will chime in here I'm sure. Luck mate.  :cheers:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

doctor4766

Ray if you haven't fitted one before, or at least seen it done properly, I'd get a pro in.
I've been in the industry since 1988 and I was still nervous about cracking the glass when I installed mine 3 years ago. Mainly due to it's cost.
Everything went well but I put that down to experience rather than luck.
Keep in mind that even professional fitters WILL NOT usually guarantee that they won't crack the glass during installation unless they have supplied it.
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Quote from: twodko on July 20, 2011, 06:31:34 PM
Top 'o the day to you Ray! The front windshield uses a gasket so I think, with help, 2 guys should easily be able to set the glass in place. Check some threads here for any tips on the use of adhesive as well. Others will chime in here I'm sure. Luck mate.  :cheers:
Butyl mastic is the sealant you need to buy if you're going to attempt it yorself.
And make sure you seal both 'rubber to body', and 'rubber to glass'
Gotta love a '69

I got lucky and the fitter I went with took responsibility for the glass so that if they cracked it they would replace it.... I think it's worth the money considering a new windscreen here is over $800  :eek2:  You already have a new one so that's not so bad.

I must say the glass guy made it look extremely easy... The hardest part is getting the rubber gasket to sit properly. The tool he used for the rubber lock looked like a bicycle tire lever.....

westcoastdodge

got a tube of butyl mastic,some plastic levers and plenty of glass cleaner(to lubricate the seal)and some friends gonna have a go tommorow,thanks guys :2thumbs:
Gene Kranz

tan top

i done  mine  on my own ,  with  a helper , just using him  to help lift glass in place & lift it up it the top part of the gasket & then to stop the glass sliding down ! , ((( might not be so much of of a problem with the repoped glass , think some are  lighter !! but fitted my original glass gets heavy after a while , trying to stop it  sliding down ! ))))) , but refitting it  don't let them do anything else if they are not use to working or fitting glass / windshields , its better with two who know what they are doing though   !  lay blankets cushions , & cardboard on the hood , cowl , to lay the glass on , then its easier to lift in place like that ,
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

doctor4766

RJ, I scored mine for 3 hunge :P

Ray, good luck.
Use masking tape to hold the top of the seal onto the roof if it wants to keep falling off while you're getting the bottom of the glass and the sides in.
And kerosene or WD40/CRC etc will lubricate better than glass cleaner or soapy water.
Also it may be easier if you fit the molding clips beforehand as they can be a bitch to slide into place after the rubber and glass are in.

Tan Top a lot of the repro front glass is thinner than the originals yes, that's why they're lighter.
It's actually the vinyl interlayer that must meet the standard for glass so no need for too thick a screen.
I think the overall thickness is 6.76 on high impact now.

Gotta love a '69

jaak

The wife and I put mine in, took less than an hour. *NOTE*-BEFORE PROCEEDING, BE SURE NEW TRIM CLIPS ARE INSTALLED NOW! First I put sealer on the pinch weld along top/sides, then installed gasket. Now before putting glass in, run a thick bead of sealer along bottom between cowl area/bottom of gasket. Next I lubed up perimeter of glass and the inside of gasket (where glass sits in) with windex. Sit the bottom of glass in place first, then the lower corners. Here's where it gets a little tricky, but my best tip is to buy a nice 1-1/2 plastic putty knife (not a cheep one for 50 cents, spend a couple of bucks on a better thicker one, won't bend as easy). Start working up the sides, it won't completely sit in, but get the glass 'started' into gasket. Now move to one of the top corners, using the rounded handle of the plastic knife from inside the car, use the handle end to push out on the corner of the gasket, while having you assistant pushing on the glass from the outside of the car, the corner will pop into place. Repeat this step in the other corner. Now using flat sharp end of plastic putty knife, finish pulling the 'lip' of gasket over glass along the top edge. Now zip up the lock strip (I did that using a small flat-blade pocket screw driver and my fingers). Install trim, clean fingerprints off of glass, stand back, admire your work, and pat yourself on the back!

Good luck,
Jason

westcoastdodge

well got the screen in ok and the top and side mouldings but cannot seem to clip the lower ones into position is there a way of getting those in without doing any damage??
Gene Kranz

doctor4766

I think the lower clips are longer than the rest.
I assume you got those?
Gotta love a '69

westcoastdodge

yep the lower clips are longer but still would seem quite difficult to engage them onto the mouldings :shruggy:
Gene Kranz

doctor4766

Now you mention it I seem to remember having to give the molding a bit of a tap with a piece of softwood and a mallet to get it to clip in.
Just be careful.
Gotta love a '69

westcoastdodge

Gene Kranz