News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

grafting louvers from a 71-2 r/t door to 73

Started by FLG, June 29, 2011, 03:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Hey guys,

I've got a half a door skin with louvers I want to graft onto my 73 door. Can I do this by cutting out the respective section and simply using a mig and doing a bunch of small spot welds until its completely welded and than grinding it down and using some plastic.

Thanks

FLG

Well just called the guys that are going to be doing the rest of the car...they said you need to TIG because in the sun the different metals from the mig will cause the weld seam to be able to be seen.

RogerDodger

Never heard that before. I've always used a mig for sheet metal patches. Why would you see the welds? I'de be interested to hear more if you find out.

Rolling_Thunder

you should be able to MIG it just fine...     the TIG makes a cleaner weld and builds less heat -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

FLG

:shruggy:

I was told tig would be the best way because of the amount of that needs to be welded and where its located, on a lower rocker or quarter it would be fine but because its dead center of the door they said the car sitting in the hot sun could cause the "harder" weld to be seen through the paint due to the difference in metals (the weld and the door) expanding at different rates.

71wrenchhead

i have never heard of this before, is there seriously any truth to this?
i would think that the molecular expansion of a metal wouldnt be visible at all, especially under primer and paint
sounds like someone is taking things a bit far to me
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

FLG

Id think so, they have been working for 30+ years and I've seen there work from start to finish..heck look at jeffs (jb666 on here) as they did his too. They said if I'm going to do it, than tig it but don't use a mig.

Here's an example of a quarter panel seam that was migged and because of the difference in metals and there rate of expansion caused some issues

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67892.0.html

brant

def. possible. I'd have a pro Tig it – more tidy and clean once finished.
Out of curiousity, what would that cost to do both doors???? ...tig, grind down, dolly & hammer etc – no filler.

Scaregrabber

Sounds to me like the shop knows what they are talking about. In the end the TIG will be less work anyway, less grinding, less heat buildup from welding and grinding, better all the way around. TIG is the best way to do it, no question.

Sheldon