News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vector Wheels...

Started by MoparMudMadness, July 19, 2011, 03:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMudMadness

Seems like I waited a year too long to purchase my wheels for my project GL.  Just back from Carilse with all the final missing parts but home to find out can't get the wheels from the two places I thought I could.

Any ideas?  Wife has searched online.

This project has been in the making for years as I pushed it aside to work on others' projects.  Bummed now..was hoping to have it atleast 85% by the end of the summer. :brickwall:
1968 Charger R/T (in waiting)
1969 Charger SE (current project & converting to R/T)
1973 Dodge Powerwagon
1999 1500 Ram Sport

68coronetGLwannabe

Which ones are you looking for, New style Vectors or Old School? You haven't been able to get the new style for a few years.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Old ones pop up all the time on ebay and craigslist.

Also try AKH Wheels, they always seem to have quite a few but are a bit pricey in my opinion..

MoparMudMadness

Will check out AKH, thanks.

I'm thinking either style as long as they are 10 spoke.

1973 Dodge Powerwagon
1999 1500 Ram Sport

sanders7981

I have two sets, one set is 14 x 7 and the other are 15 x 8 which I just bought about 4 weeks ago.  I am not sure what set I will be using because I am no where near that stage of completeness, but I cana try to contact the guy I bought my Charger from in Greensboro, NC to see if he still has the other set of Vectors.  I know he had a set of unfinished 15x8's and would moer than likely be willing to sell them.  If not, then eBay would be hte next best place to look.  I tried the AKH place, and hte prices were wrong on his website... he wanted quite a bit more for them, so I passed and found a better deal.  He said the prices were raised because they were some of his last sets and they are getting harder to find/rare... Ok  ::), like that shoud drive the price up. 

MoparMudMadness

Quote from: sanders7981 on July 20, 2011, 09:12:17 AM
I have two sets, one set is 14 x 7 and the other are 15 x 8 which I just bought about 4 weeks ago.  I am not sure what set I will be using because I am no where near that stage of completeness, but I cana try to contact the guy I bought my Charger from in Greensboro, NC to see if he still has the other set of Vectors.  I know he had a set of unfinished 15x8's and would moer than likely be willing to sell them.  If not, then eBay would be hte next best place to look.  I tried the AKH place, and hte prices were wrong on his website... he wanted quite a bit more for them, so I passed and found a better deal.  He said the prices were raised because they were some of his last sets and they are getting harder to find/rare... Ok  ::), like that shoud drive the price up. 

Yeah, got the prices from AKH knowing they were said to be high--sure are!  I would appreciate any contact info you can come up with.  I could make a trip to NC.  Thanks :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Powerwagon
1999 1500 Ram Sport

tsmithae

From Moparts for sale by Killerfish (http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showprofile.php?Cat=0&User=50465&Number=6738539&Board=B&what=showflat&page=0&fpart=11&vc=1)...

I have a complete set of vector wheels in decent shape (2) 15x7 and (2) 15x8 perfect combo for a charger or ? asking 400.00 OBO wheels are located in Texas. Pics upon request call 956-867-7095

Heres the link for the ad.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=B&Number=6706773&page=0&fpart=11
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

MoparMudMadness

Thanks.  I will check these out.
1973 Dodge Powerwagon
1999 1500 Ram Sport

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Are they 4 1/2" bolt pattern or unilug ?

The new ones are nice bit quite a bit different to the originals....

MoparMudMadness

I would prefer the old ones but I've looked at them both over the years and think either would work.
1973 Dodge Powerwagon
1999 1500 Ram Sport

MoparMudMadness

I've gotten a couple of leads, sent a few emails, talked to a couple of buddies that are "scouting" for me but not coming up with much--yet, hopefully.  Could kick myself for not having them already when I've walked right up on them several times over the last several years!  It was always a $$ issue and I didn't worry cuz thought I'd get them easy with a dealer here or Paddock.
1973 Dodge Powerwagon
1999 1500 Ram Sport

Same here, I'm kicking myself for selling half a dozen sets of Vectors in 2007-8.... Collecting them became a bit of a hobby if you could call it that. Most I bought were roughly $150 - $200 for a nice unfinished set, but now they are out of control.

I've pondered painting and refinishing my "new style" vectors but glad I didn't as I hope they will one day become somewhat collectible. I'd like to eventually put that set aside and get some originals to put on my car. The thing I hate the most about the new ones is the outer lip, it just looks wrong.

Mike DC

QuoteThe thing I hate the most about the new ones is the outer lip, it just looks wrong.

A decent wheel refinishing/machining place could probably cut the old-style groove into the modern lip.

Lennard

Quote from: MoparMudMadness on July 19, 2011, 03:26:25 PM
Seems like I waited a year too long to purchase my wheels for my project GL.  Just back from Carilse with all the final missing parts but home to find out can't get the wheels from the two places I thought I could.
Any ideas?  Wife has searched online.
This project has been in the making for years as I pushed it aside to work on others' projects.  Bummed now..was hoping to have it atleast 85% by the end of the summer. :brickwall:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,83165.0.html

MoparMudMadness

1973 Dodge Powerwagon
1999 1500 Ram Sport

Bobby41909

Quote from: MoparMudMadness on July 20, 2011, 10:18:04 AM
Yeah, got the prices from AKH knowing they were said to be high--sure are!  I would appreciate any contact info you can come up with.  I could make a trip to NC.  Thanks :2thumbs:

I am not a an AKH salesman but one thing to consider is the AKH wheels are refinished and polished.  They look better then the new vector especially if your restoring the car and have new paint.  I got an original refinished set from them a year ago for just over $1,000.  Didn't make sense to me to buy an old beat up set for $500 -$600 then pay to have them polished and painted.  Unless you do it yourself (and have the right tools) I don't see how you can compete with their price and get the same quality. 

Here is a picture of AKH's polished Vector:

Is that how much unfinished sets of Vectors are going for now $500-$600 ?

Bobby41909

Quote from: 440 on July 26, 2011, 06:38:12 AM
Is that how much unfinished sets of Vectors are going for now $500-$600 ?

If your looking for a 15" set and considering shipping costs, $500 to $600 will get you a set that needs work IMO.  Just look at eBay.  Infact the link above shows a set for $400 and with shipping you'll be  in that range.

madmike

I have a set of Vectors on my '68 Charger, fronts are 15x8, rears are 15x10.  What is the difference between 'new style' and 'old style'?

Mike

See picture above of AKH's wheel and compare.....

Mainly outer lip profile and smooth cast between the spokes instead of rough cast...

BananaDan

Which is the original?  Rough or smooth cast?
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: BananaDan on July 31, 2011, 09:03:31 AM
Which is the original?  Rough or smooth cast?

Original is rough cast
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!