News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I usually have to pour gas in the carburetor in order to start the engine

Started by MaximRecoil, July 05, 2011, 06:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

1969, 318, automatic, stock carburetor

The engine will start nearly instantly when you turn the key if it hasn't been sitting for too long after it last ran, but if it sits for even a few hours, it will not start without pouring a little gas in the carburetor. The fuel isn't draining back out of the fuel line I don't think, because even after sitting for a couple of days without running, there is still plenty of fuel visible in the clear plastic fuel filter up by the carburetor. Once the engine starts (after pouring some gas in the carburetor), it runs good.

Rolling_Thunder

sounds like the carb is getting hot and the fuel is boiling out of the bowls...   :Twocents:        I would install a thicker 1/4 gasket to isolate the carb from the hot manifold...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 05, 2011, 06:29:20 PM
sounds like the carb is getting hot and the fuel is boiling out of the bowls...   :Twocents:        I would install a thicker 1/4 gasket to isolate the carb from the hot manifold...     

But it starts right back up if I try it within say, an hour of when it last ran. And even if the bowls are empty after a few hours for whatever reason, I can see plenty of gas in the fuel filter which is right up close to the carburetor. That's what I don't understand. There is fuel right there in the line all the way up to the carburetor. Cranking the engine should dump fuel in there and it should start, but it doesn't.   

maxwellwedge

Try taking the air cleaner off and (with the car turned off) pull the throttle open and see if you get a decent shot of gas out of the accelerator pump nozzle. Try it when the car sits for a few days and try it when the car has been turned off for 5 or 10 minutes. Any difference?

MaximRecoil

I found out the problem. My mechanic friend looked at it this morning. Someone put in a manual choke long before I got the car, and apparently it doesn't work right (it doesn't close fully). My friend closed the choke directly and pushed on the throttle a few times, and it started right up without pouring gas in the carburetor, and after sitting for a day since it was last ran.

resq302

We have that problem and our cars are all bone stock.  I blame it on the crappy blend of gas that is out there now a days which evaporates off way too fast.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Same with ours if it sits for a few weeks.... No choke though so that doesn't help... But once it fires up it's good

B5charger

I have the same problem with my 71 318 auto.  If I drive it every day or so, there's no problem, but if it sits for over a week or longer. it takes about 5-7 seconds of cranking and pumping to get it started.  All I can attribute it to is the crappy gas.  I should try a thicker gasket to help insulate to see if that'sany better

Lizey

i have the same problem with my '77, except this is a daily thing! it doesnt matter if its one night or ten i allways have to our a little gas in the carb. its fine for the rest of the day but the initial start allways requires a little gas in the carb i cant figure it out for the life of me!
1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

resq302

If you have to pour gas into it daily, then you have an issue somewhere.  I can see fuel evaporating over a couple days but it shouldn't evap over night.   I would check to see if you have a leak anywhere, fuel bowls and floats are set to the right height, or if you might even have a slight dry rot or cracking of a rubber hose, I have seen where that can let air in and have the gas in the line gravity feed back towards the tank.

Granted, today's gas is not that great for carburated cars, but its not bad enough yet to have to be pouring gas down the carb every day just to get it to start.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

oldkimmer

......probably a weak pump....i had the same problem years ago.......new pump was the cure......kim.............
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mudda_hunchie

I have the same problem.  Bought new fuel pump and no change.  After about three days, all gas is gone from the clear wixx fuel filter.  How could  fuel evap out of sealed fuel line?

resq302

Where do you have the clear wixx fuel filter mounted?  If it is in a vertical spot between the fuel pump and the carb, then it is probably draining back towards the tank.
Brian

mudda_hunchie

that's right.  Well, it's kinda at 45 degree where line begins to cross the intake.  I thought fuel pump should hold fuel to there.  Is there a solution? :scratchchin:

resq302

What I do is crank the engine over for a min or two and then pump the gas pedal twice to set the choke.  Shortly there after, it usually fires right up.
Brian

poppa

God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.