News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Angry

Started by Rolling_Thunder, July 18, 2011, 10:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

A "Cat" started a brushfire here recently, no word on if the owner had to pay for the Firefighters, but these days it's not uncommon.  :-\

Dans 68

Two of my neighbors had their converters stolen from their trucks early one morning last year. Only takes a few minutes with a tube cutter. Those thieves are the lowest form of life....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

xpbprox

Quote from: Dans 68 on July 20, 2011, 01:00:11 PM
Two of my neighbors had their converters stolen from their trucks early one morning last year. Only takes a few minutes with a tube cutter. Those thieves are the lowest form of life....

Dan
Yup, they sure are! I always park my truck behiend a locked gate when I park it at home. The door have already been pryed out by someone trying to steal it.

Rolling_Thunder

yep - I ordered the part and waiting for it to show up...       CA is such a royal PITA. I am so moving to AZ when I graduate  haha   or wherever else the military sends me...       There is plenty of room under the truck for cooling the cat...     just need to figure out how to make a huge plate to cage it...        Part should be here tomorrow and I'll figure it out then. I plan on welding it in and then covering it.   They make belly pans but none of them extend far enough to cover the whole Cat - so someone could easily cut the pipe down past the cat...      I'll figure something out though...     ain''t going to let assholes win again.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bobs66440

It's pretty sad that you even have to go through all that... :rotz:

BigBlackDodge

There should be some sort of serial numbers (on the inside and out) on the cats that tie back to VIN's. A Police report would then record these numbers and keep a log of what's been stolen. The salvage yards would then run the numbers in a computer to see if they're stolen before handing out the cash to these scumballs....or have some sort of grace period while things check out.

:Twocents:

BBD

Kern Dog

In 2008 when gas prices soared past $ 4.50 here in CA, there were stories of asswipes drilling holes in gas tanks to drain and steal fuel. GREAT ! Cause hundreds of dollars of damage for $50 worth of fuel.

Rolling_Thunder

yep -  I would think that if simple legislation was passed that Cats will not have a cash value at recycling centers it would solve anything...    why steal something you can't get paid for ?   The precious metal inside is valuable but if the problem is that big then legislation should come into effect.   Then just penalize and fine any yard found to be accepting cats (impose some staggering $100,000 fine or something) - stop taxing honest people and start being more firm on criminals...     They tell you to etch your VIN into a cat no a days...    but still...    doesnt keep it from getting stolen.

But then again - who am I ?   I'm just someone who has to pay more money when the government does nothing...     

TK73

One flaw... can get money outta honest people, can't get it outta criminals...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

PocketThunder

Can you weld a couple pieces of chain to the cat and the frame of the truck?  Then the exhaust can still vibrate and the thieves cant just pull it off in seconds, they would have to cut thru the chain also.   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 22, 2011, 12:49:19 PM
Can you weld a couple pieces of chain to the cat and the frame of the truck?  Then the exhaust can still vibrate and the thieves cant just pull it off in seconds, they would have to cut thru the chain also.   :shruggy:

Thats actually a pretty good idea. If aanyone has ever tried to sawzall something that will vibrate instead of cut, Its no fun.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Rolling_Thunder

My idea exactly...      That chain will make some noise rattling around under there hahah   

A383Wing

chain will also rattle while driving also....

Old Moparz

Quote from: A383Wing on July 23, 2011, 08:29:22 PM
chain will also rattle while driving also....

Maybe the vibration caused by slack in the chain can be eliminated by adding a spring.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Rolling_Thunder

I just got some rubber hose and wrapped it around the chain...    not even noticeable     :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 28, 2011, 11:15:41 PM
I just got some rubber hose and wrapped it around the chain...    not even noticeable     :2thumbs:

I'd be concerned that the exhaust heat would transfer to the chain, then melt the rubber hose.  :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

xpbprox

Quote from: Old Moparz on July 29, 2011, 03:24:00 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 28, 2011, 11:15:41 PM

I'd be concerned that the exhaust heat would transfer to the chain, then melt the rubber hose.  :shruggy:
I don't think it would mess with it too bad. People run the CCV in to the exhaust right at the headers with rubber hose, and it seems fine

mpdlawdog

20 cars at a local car lot got hit the other night...you would think the fuc :flame: sticks at the scrap yard would realise what they are doing and stop buying them.  Its clear to me that if someone brings in 15 cats they didnt get them legally.   :Twocents:
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

HANDM

Around here, you need to have a cat attached to a car to scrap it, the dude at the yard said I could just throw any cats into the back seat of any car and then scrap them with the car even if the scrapped vehicle didn't come with any....  :shruggy:

Seems like they are trying to eliminate the lure, but not all that hard

A383Wing

up here, scrap yards cannot buy or sell used cats....against federal law....only state assigned places can take the cats that we replace at our shop..and all have to have proper paperwork filled out for each cat