News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 440hp motor found in 1977 rv

Started by Nwcharger, July 22, 2011, 07:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nwcharger

i went to look at a 77 a-class motor home on craigslist for 250.00 with a 440. i went to look at the rv witch had been sitting in a field for 16 years, removed the engine cover to see the condition of the 440 and found the valve covers miss-matched and some wiring was hacked so i knew the motor was not the original one for this rv. i started cleaning the id pad on the top and found it says e440 and the date 6 20 then hp after that i tried to crawl under it where it was but it was buried up to the axles. the guy sold it to me for 200.00 because i couldnt get it started. i came back with a carb/gas can and points dist. got it running and drove it home. i got under it today to get the numbers. cast no.2536430-5  date 5-8-69 and vin 9g302587. what kind of vehicle would this have came from? is there any other locations for the full vin on these blocks?
1969 coronet wagon

bsakal

I don't think it will have the full VIN, just the last 8 digits. "G" is a St Louis car...
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

Cooter

I believe that "5" means the 5th revision of the casting mold for the blocks...Best to find a 2, or 3 block it's said..Either way, you got a 69 "HP" 440 for cheap...SCORE!
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Just 6T9 CHGR

Dont have that VIN in the Registry....Ill ask my friend who tracks all St. Louis VIN's
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nwcharger

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 22, 2011, 09:07:57 PM
Dont have that VIN in the Registry....Ill ask my friend who tracks all St. Louis VIN's

That would be awesome. I would like to know what kind of car this motor came out of. I thought I've seen some of these motors with the complete vin instead of the last 8, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
1969 coronet wagon

y3chargerrt

Earlier 69s came with a full vin. My 69 is a early january car and has the full vin stamped into the block.

bsakal

I just bought an early '69 383 "H" engine and numbers matching trans, cast on 1/8/69, and only the last 8 digits are on the block and trans. My '69 SE was built in August of '68, I don't have the original engine, but I do have the original trans, and only the last 8 digits are on the trans. Maybe it depends are where it's built?
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Nwcharger on July 22, 2011, 07:30:04 PM
.... vin 9g302587. what kind of vehicle would this have came from? is there any other locations for the full vin on these blocks?

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 22, 2011, 09:07:57 PM
I'll ask my friend who tracks all St. Louis VIN's

That number would be consistent with a VIN from a Coronet R/T or GTX. Sorry, that's as close as I can get.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

ACUDANUT

All a HP motor is :a oil windage tray, bigger cam and a 4 barrel.   :Twocents:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 23, 2011, 08:53:37 PM
All a HP motor is :a oil windage tray, bigger cam and a 4 barrel.   :Twocents:

The valve train is a little different too. There are 383 and 440 Non HP's that have 4bbls.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

ACUDANUT

Valve train ? Please enlighten me.  :shruggy:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 24, 2011, 09:27:10 AM
Valve train ? Please enlighten me.  :shruggy:

HP engines used a different spring.

ACUDANUT

See, that's all there is to "HP" engine....Nothing you could not add to any other engine...The key issue is a Forged crank imo.