News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cool collection of e-bodies / latest on my 340 build

Started by 64dartgt, July 21, 2011, 09:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

64dartgt

So I found a new shop to do my 340 engine.  To recap, the 318 in my Charger developed a bearing knock.  I bought a 71 "rebuilt" 340 which has lots of new parts but got a garage honing and needs to go from 0.030 to 0.060 to clean up the pitted bores.  It sat at a machine shop for five months waiting for the guy, who has a great reputation, to go through it.  He did so, but then quoted me $5500 to rebuild it...which latter dropped to $4000 if I provided the parts. 

The new shop is http://www.bmotorworks.com/ and the owner is a certified Mopar nut.  He has photos of some of his toys on his site and he has a few more.  The guy has corned the market on Cuda's.  He has a convertible, a Hemi, an AAR and a 440 6-pack (project)...but he has not time to drive them.  I told him I'd be happy to help him out  :angelwing:

He said the crank looks good, so hopefully we are just looking at boring the block 0.060, polishing the crank and decking the heads a little, which has rust on the mating surface.  If I was a betting man I bet he will have to shave the intake too.  The block has been decked already.

I am a bit concerned about compression, as the 71 was 10.4 to 1 from the factory and with the decking of the block and heads, which are 589 castings which have a similar volume to the stock heads from what I have been able to look up (~72cc's).  I want to use pump gas.  Can I use a thicker head gasket to keep the compression down?  Anyone have any experience with this?