News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

the pain of shaving....

Started by ramairthree, July 16, 2011, 05:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramairthree

nope, not your face.

the 74 I have has had the marker lights shaved.  and also the antenna. and from sorting out the harness, it also appears they did the same for those cool fender indicator turn signals.

this has not caused me any significant pain up front,
but they hecked the crap out of the rear harness.

I get the normal power I should going to the rear harness connector.
from there it is madness.

the driver's side housing is not hooked up to anything,
the passenger tail light housing is,
and after 90 minutes I have succeded in getting the outward passenger side bulb to come on with braking and turn signal, but not headlights, and nothing on the inward bulb.

I may not like huge rims with rubber band tires on old cars, but at least the car itself is unharmed.

what started the shaving trend and what is the point of it?
just for looks?
a period when certain pieces were made and could not be replaced?

it is nuts.

squeakfinder

I don't know. Bell bottom pants and polyester shirts were popular at one time but nobody can explain any of that either.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

ramairthree

true, very true.  like the huge rims, you could always change back clothes. (although your kids can laugh at your hair and clothes in the old yearbooks still)

shaving is like getting a huge nose piercing and face tatoo.  if you decide to change the look it takes a little more effort than changing your clothes.

to each their own.
(except now I am dealing with the previous owner's stuff and would rather he spent the time and effort on functional stuff)

Kern Dog

Some people like to add custom touches to their cars during a repaint. In the mid 80s I recall the Mini-Truck craze here in California. Guys were cutting the roofs off of their Toyotas and Datsuns , "shaving" the door handles, side markers and antennas. Many of these trucks sat so low, they couldn't clear a McDonalds cheeseburger. They rode stiff as a brick, but many owners thought it was the COOL thing to do.
My brother in law has a 72 Duster over here that we are bringing back from the dead. It started as a slant sick, 3 on the tree "Gold Duster". We have already swapped in a 360 and an 833 overdrive, plus an 8 3/4 with a 3.91 SG diff. We are going to paint it Inferno Red and change the interior to match. We have even discussed shaving the side markers and trunk lock. The plan is to also add a fuel filler DOOR from a modern car. The trunk and gas door will be cable operated from the drivers door jamb. These personal touches will set it apart from the other Dusters out there while still being functional.