News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini starter not engaging

Started by aremar, July 15, 2011, 06:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aremar

Hi. Just installed a Summit Protorque mini starter in my -70 440. When I try to start it just spins, sounds like its only slightly touching the teeth, but does not engage. All wires new, new battery, original starter shim left in place. Any ideas where to start looking?  :shruggy:
XS29U0

471_Magnum

Sounds like a starter with a defective solenoid.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

justcruisin

Make sure you have a good battery and your leads are good. Pull the starter off and stick it in a vice, hook up a battery and check its operation. check that the drive gear extends out and that it turns when powered up. If the starter has been sitting for a while or been wet it could be stuck in the engagement mechanism. If OK power the starter up again and check the drive isn't slipping.  Make sure it is rotating the correct way - may have been assembled with an incorrect drive motor or clutch. If all OK you will have to take some measurements of the drive gear throw and the position of your ring gear in relation to your starter mounting point.

justcruisin

In regards to having a faulty solinoid, this may well be true also, if the solinoid is faulty with the problem you described it may have a broken winding. To check this connect your negative of your battery to the body of the starter and without connecting the positive to the main stud, apply positive to the pull in terminal on the starter, it should pull in quite strongly. Then disconnect the wire from the solinoid stud to the drive motor and try it again. If all OK it will either pull in a lot slower or just spark and not pull in at all. There is two windings in the solinoid, you may have a broken main winding which pulls the drive into mesh, the lighter one holds it there once engaged.

aremar

Thanks for the help! I will check the starter as described and come back to it. Thought it would be an easy fix, but it really isnĀ“t. Headers are all around the starter, making it difficult  :flame:
XS29U0

covet66

May be easiest to pull the steering column with the headers to get to the starter- we do on our first gen...

aremar

Had the Protorque starter out today - the nose was broken. I had problems to make it fit when mounted , so it is obvious the tip of the nose didn't slide as easily into the hole as with my old Mopar mini starter. The parts were interchangeable, so I mounted the old nose on the new starter - problem solved, slided right in place. Starts fine now. :icon_smile_big:  Thanks for the advice!!
XS29U0