News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aussie V8's to race in texas

Started by d/ur/t, July 01, 2011, 07:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d/ur/t

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/

Just been announced that aussie V8's will race in Austin  for 5 years from 2014.

So would be nice to finally have the big three back Ford {GM} Holden Dodge {chrylser}.

So get it out there so dodge can get in boots and all.

Not that I don't like sprint cup but the Aussie V8's would be a hell of a lot cheaper

Aero426

Let me get this straight.    We're going to have a bunch of cars that aren't sold here competing here...   with a bunch of drivers we don't know...    on a crappy F1 circuit currently made of thin air.

Now that I have that out of the way, I'll say I think the cars will be well received, but only by the hardcore road racing crowd interested enough to go see them.       It's hard enough getting USA spectators interested enough to attend an ALMS or Grand-Am race here.    

I assume the V8 Supercar will be a preliminary event for the proposed F1 race in Austin.    Would would really be nice if they ran on one of the classic NA road racing tracks like Road America,  Road Atlanta, Laguna or the Glen.     That would be something to see.

Aussie R/T

You can buy commadores over there and you have been able to for a while you guys take a reasonable looking car and hit it with an ugly stick and stand back and admire it.

Just a shame you're not getting the new falcon {supercharged 5lt} and XR6 Turbo now they would cars to be proud of.

Here's my sons Falcon ute started life as an xr6 Turbo with 245 RWHP now approaching 500 RWHP in a ute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INeCW7uU6aQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

While I can take it or leave it as the ford, holden thing is getting pretty boring and slowly but surely sliding down hill.Since holden now have two thirds of the field it's getting more like formula holden.I mean the money they have been throwing at this sport is incredible including buying the last championship winner and now it looks like the next one too.

Sure would be nice if Dodge would come play some and show these guys what it's all about.

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Aussie R/T on July 01, 2011, 10:52:09 PM
Just a shame you're not getting the new falcon {supercharged 5lt} and XR6 Turbo now they would cars to be proud of.
how many of the guys here would like a four door "mustang" with a sizable boot? they are not selling well in australia, unfortunately. 

QuoteLet me get this straight.    We're going to have a bunch of cars that aren't sold here competing here...   with a bunch of drivers we don't know...    on a crappy F1 circuit currently made of thin air.
fwiw, these 'fords' and 'holdens' only share headlights with the road going cars, everything else is fabricated, like nascar. They used to be cars taken off the production line. now they are totally custom built.

still it might catch on enough to get your own series using american versions of the cars.

bajaherbie

Speed channel t.v. is covering the aussie v-8's this season.... i watched a few laps saturday afternoon. can't remember where they were racing though!

i think marcos ambrose has a few laps under his belt with them...

Darkman

I guess it would be a lot more exciting than watching cars go round and round in circles for 160 laps  :nana:

Yes you Americans have the Aussie built Commodore except it is called a Pontiac G8 over there.

If you guys can go, I urge you to go if anything for the atmosphere and the noise these things make! I am neither a Holden nor Ford fan, but go every year to the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, South Australia!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Quote from: Darkman on July 04, 2011, 01:12:27 AM
I guess it would be a lot more exciting than watching cars go round and round in circles for 160 laps  :nana:

Yes you Americans have the Aussie built Commodore except it is called a Pontiac G8 over there.

If you guys can go, I urge you to go if anything for the atmosphere and the noise these things make! I am neither a Holden nor Ford fan, but go every year to the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, South Australia!

Are you from SA Darkman ?

Darkman

Aussiemadonmopars

Is Perth off the menu next season for the V8's?

Darkman

Quote from: 440 on July 05, 2011, 04:22:01 AM
Me too  :cheers:

God's Country I say!

What part? I was from the burbs in Adelaide but now reside in Roxby Downs for a few years (need to earn the $$$ now that I have this Charger  :icon_smile_big: )

Southern suburbs here. Agreed on $$ as US Mopars are quite expensive in Aus.

TexasStroker

If I'm back down that way I'll check it out.  Petty's Garage is really interested in getting the Challenger in on more of the race scene, but they are not getting much for support.  It is a shame the mfgs don't pursue any of the real circuits better, or atleast back guys willig to put in the time and money.

A modern day TransAm circuit would be huge imo.  I usually watch some of the euro race stuff late night on speed.  The issue I have is we are miles from any track that would ever host a stop, prob 275-350 miles to get to one.  The folks near the tracks should feel lucky and take adv of it!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Bob T

Quote from: Darkman on July 04, 2011, 01:12:27 AM

I have been to Pukekohe for the Supercar V8 rounds a few times , its only 40 mins drive away and Bathurst is on the list one day. Went to the ITM 400 in Hamilton a few months back when The Gis won for SBR, good on the young Gun but the main attraction that day was ZZ Top playing later on. Legendary .
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

aussiemuscle

Quote from: bajaherbie on July 03, 2011, 09:57:02 PM
i think marcos ambrose has a few laps under his belt with them...
This is the series he learned to fly, he was too good for them so went on to bigger things. hopefully he'll at least go do a few demo laps in the usa, at least to show them he hasn't lost it.