News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Never, never leave your wingman.

Started by BananaDan, July 11, 2011, 09:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

As Jester in Top Gun said, "You never, never leave your wingman."  This weekend in Carlisle was a weekend of wingman support for me, and I've learned that it really pays to be cruising with one.

Story 1:
Two buddies and I were rolling down Rte. 11 to dinner, with Bill "Bad88t-top" Woessner and his brother and father in his 70 behind us.  I pull up to a red light next to this 'vette with two douchebags inside.  I look over and they're laughing at us so I turn to Pete, drop her into first and tell him I'm gonna drop the hammer.  I took the 'vette off the line, but my unfinished/mismatched drivetrain didn't have the juice and once the 'vette hit second gear he pulled away.  I backed off once I hit third and then the next light turned red.  I pulled behind the 'vette and called in my fellow air support behind me, Bill.  Pete waved him up and we asked him to waste the fool and Bill obliged.  He pulled up to the light, took him off the line, chirped in 2nd and 3rd gears and wasted the 'vette by quite a few car lengths.  I'll let Bill keep me honest here, but I think at the next light the 'vette douchebag said something like he only has a small block in his car.  Bill's response was something like yeah, but my car weighs a few thousand pounds more.

Story 2:
After filling up with gas to leave for home on Sunday, no more than 50 feet on Rte. 11 from the Sunoco by the Quality Inn, my car dies in the right lane.  She felt like she was getting no gas, so since it was very hot out I first thought vapor lock.  I ran out into traffic to push her into the shoulder with the help of my wingman for the ride home Chris (Just6T9) Giardina.  After about 20 minutes of diagnosing, he determined that I had a pump issue as I wasn't getting any gas up to my carb.  I thought it might be my filter, but he suspected my fuel pump push rod since I told him my pump was brand new but I didn't replace the rod when I re-did the engine.  Out came the tools and he showed me how to remove the pump push rod and it was about 3/8" to 1/2" shorter than it should be.  Thankfully, since this happened to him years before, he carries a spare in his car!  Total lifesaver.  Another 15-20 minutes and the new rod was installed and she was fired up and we were under way.  I don't know a better wingman than Chris with a roadside fuel pump push rod diagnosis, replacement and back on the road in about an hour.  I'm ordering two new rods, one for Chris and one to keep in my car.  Lesson learned, I will always care a spare push rod going forward.

My first Carlisle had it's highlights and lowlights (rain Friday and the breakdown), but I had a total blast.  I can't wait to get back next year and will remember this trip forever.  Thanks to Chris and Bill, I guess you can't go wrong with two first place winners as your wingmen!  Also a big thanks to Bill440RT for keeping my baby in his trailer during the monsoon.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

A383Wing

BananaDan

Yep, and Mopar friends are the best kind to have.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

resq302

Dan,

Stories such as this is why I am glad to own an antique car and be part of the hobby!  One thing I have found is that when something bad happens, people in the car hobby seem to jump right in and help each other out.  I have made a lot of great friends through here and consider them extended family. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1969chargerrtse

Yes they do jump right in. We are car guys to the core. A dying breed in my mind. We are important and special. For this reason whenever a young kid ask a car question I light up and explain away. They are the future, rice rocket or not.
While waiting for a classic car ride at 6 flags a kid in line made a comment about the cars. I said " now this is a classic car " and showed him my Charger on my phone. He knew what it was and started asking me car questions. I loved it, he was about 11 and reminded me of me as a kid. My 7 year old was getting a bit upset so I ended it plus our Caddy Conv was up next.

Now someone explain the fuel rod issue?  I never heard this before? They wear down? WTH?

As for the wingman thing, that is amazing. Chris's knowledge on 69 chargers is impressive.  I know a lot about cars and a lot about Chargers, but nothing compared to him. Good choice of a wingman. :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

resq302

Its basically a solid round bar that is a push rod for the fuel pump.  runs off of the cam lobe and over time, they wear down.  I replaced mine with a lightweight hollow one I think from summit or someplace like that so I wouldn't get the rod float from higher rpms.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: resq302 on July 12, 2011, 07:43:28 AM
Its basically a solid round bar that is a push rod for the fuel pump.  runs off of the cam lobe and over time, they wear down.  I replaced mine with a lightweight hollow one I think from summit or someplace like that so I wouldn't get the rod float from higher rpms.
Yeah I know what they are, I put mine in my block when it was rebuilt.  I just never heard such a thing that they would wear down.  I find that odd.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks Dan, sure was an experience!  Dont forget your wingman-ness when my belts snapped on 81! :cheers:

Two fuel issues in one weekend!  Chris G. with his pump on the Hang Ten & then you!  What are the odds???   :rotz:

The pushrod wear-down happened to me about 13 years ago, when there were rumors that MP got a bad batch of them....seems as though they weren't hardened properly and would mushroom out on the cam side of the rod.  There were horror stories of people not being able to get them out of the block access hole because they mushroomed the tip so bad!
Luckily for me (and Dan this time) they came out with minimal effort.

I always carried the spare & my worn down one to show how much it wears down till theres not enough left to work the pump...almost 1/4".....funny think is that I ALMOST left them home after I made room in my console for my GPS etc.   Pulling out of the garage & I saw them on the work bench...."let me take these friggin things in case of a show-and-tell session" ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

six-tee-nine

Quote from: BananaDan on July 11, 2011, 09:26:59 PM
called in my fellow air support behind me, Bill.  Pete waved him up and we asked him to waste the fool and Bill obliged.  He pulled up to the light, took him off the line, chirped in 2nd and 3rd gears and wasted the 'vette by quite a few car lengths.  

This part kinda made laugh pretty loud........
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

4cruzin

Great stories!   How lucky to have someone with you have a fuel pump rod with him.  I never thought about carrying a spare one of those . . .  :eek2:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Back N Black

Cool stories! i had the fuel pump push rod issue happen to me last summer. I have a spare in my tool box.

tan top

good storys  !! awesome stuff guys  :coolgleamA: :bow:   :yesnod: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BananaDan

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 12, 2011, 08:13:32 AM
I always carried the spare & my worn down one to show how much it wears down till theres not enough left to work the pump...almost 1/4".....funny think is that I ALMOST left them home after I made room in my console for my GPS etc.   Pulling out of the garage & I saw them on the work bench...."let me take these friggin things in case of a show-and-tell session" ;)

I guess Murphy was sleeping on the job for once in my life...  ;)

71ChallengeHer

Dan, Great story.  :cheers:  Mopar friends are the best.  :2thumbs: Hope you come back to Carlisle.  :cheers:

BananaDan

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on July 12, 2011, 07:02:59 PM
Dan, Great story.  :cheers:  Mopar friends are the best.  :2thumbs: Hope you come back to Carlisle.  :cheers:

You bet, with bells on.  I had a total blast for my first time out.

1969chargerrtse

The pushrod wear-down happened to me about 13 years ago, when there were rumors that MP got a bad batch of them....seems as though they weren't hardened properly and would mushroom out on the cam side of the rod.  There were horror stories of people not being able to get them out of the block access hole because they mushroomed the tip so bad!

Wow, thanks for the info.  One question?  What is a " MP "?  So I should be ok because mine is stock original?  The fact that they mushroomed is scary.

Roger 68 charger

:cheers:  Sure sounds like everyone had a great time!!
68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 12, 2011, 07:33:44 PM
The pushrod wear-down happened to me about 13 years ago, when there were rumors that MP got a bad batch of them....seems as though they weren't hardened properly and would mushroom out on the cam side of the rod.  There were horror stories of people not being able to get them out of the block access hole because they mushroomed the tip so bad!

Wow, thanks for the info.  One question?  What is a " MP "?  So I should be ok because mine is stock original?  The fact that they mushroomed is scary.
For the Chevy crowd.....MP is short for Mopar Performance  :slap:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BananaDan

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 12, 2011, 07:46:30 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 12, 2011, 07:33:44 PM
The pushrod wear-down happened to me about 13 years ago, when there were rumors that MP got a bad batch of them....seems as though they weren't hardened properly and would mushroom out on the cam side of the rod.  There were horror stories of people not being able to get them out of the block access hole because they mushroomed the tip so bad!

For the Chevy crowd.....MP is short for Mopar Performance  :slap:
I've had my charger for 4 years with no intent to sell, when does the " Chevy guy " tag get dropped? Though I would like another 69 RS/SS conv.  :icon_smile_big:

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

A383Wing

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 12, 2011, 09:45:15 PM
when does the " Chevy guy " tag get dropped? Though I would like another 69 RS/SS conv.  :icon_smile_big:

probably never...I still get razzed for having the one lone Pontiac in our stable of Mopars

Topher

This was my 3rd year, and 1st time driving my Charger up. Each year is better than the last. If you've never been- GO! You won't be dissapointed. It's nice to meet people for the 1st time, and meet up with old friends. My trip wasn't as exciting as Dan's, the car drove great, and got 15.5 or so mpg. Now, can someone photoshop about 25 pounds off of me in the group photo?
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com