News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my new 360 wont idle

Started by nrt69, July 06, 2011, 09:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrt69

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 05, 2011, 05:18:59 PM
I am willing to fly in & help

The airport code is SJT. Let me know what your flight number is.

nrt69

Quote from: heyoldguy on August 05, 2011, 08:34:25 PM
There is a way to get a rough check on the cam timing without removing anything but the left valve cover. Turn the engine over until #1 cylinder is at TDC with both valves closed (#1 fire). Now begin rotating the engine 360 degrees by hand. Watch the #1 cylinder rocker arms. As you rotate the engine the exhaust valve will begin to open and then start closing again. When the exhaust is about closed the intake will start opening. When both rocker arms are level, i.e. both intake and exhaust valves open the same amount, STOP. You are now at split overlap. Look at the timing marks on the damper, it should read around 0 to +5 degrees. If it is way off from that, you probably have a cam timing issue.

thats an easy thing to do...since im not really looking forward to taking the motor apart. Am i rotating it a complete 360 degrees? And as i get to the 360 degree mark, thats where it should read 0 to +5 right?

nrt69

Quote from: nrt69 on August 06, 2011, 09:26:46 AM
Quote from: heyoldguy on August 05, 2011, 08:34:25 PM
There is a way to get a rough check on the cam timing without removing anything but the left valve cover. Turn the engine over until #1 cylinder is at TDC with both valves closed (#1 fire). Now begin rotating the engine 360 degrees by hand. Watch the #1 cylinder rocker arms. As you rotate the engine the exhaust valve will begin to open and then start closing again. When the exhaust is about closed the intake will start opening. When both rocker arms are level, i.e. both intake and exhaust valves open the same amount, STOP. You are now at split overlap. Look at the timing marks on the damper, it should read around 0 to +5 degrees. If it is way off from that, you probably have a cam timing issue.

thats an easy thing to do...since im not really looking forward to taking the motor apart. Am i rotating it a complete 360 degrees? And as i get to the 360 degree mark, thats where it should read 0 to +5 right?

tried this and its hard to gauge. the intake and exhaust rockers seem to be "even" or "level" (closed?) for a significant amount of time...ie theres alot of turning the motor over before either intake or exhaust rocer starts opening (moving downward). the intake and exhaust rocker seems to start moving at the 360 degree mark. am I reading this right?

nrt69

well, i didnt make it to the timing set yet. i did a compression check today and found most cylinders were only 90-115. A couple were only 72-85.
put some oil in the really low cylinders and got a big jump in one and a slight jump in the other.
Local engine builder says its probably the heads.

FLG

If you get a jump with oil it points to the rings not the heads.

nrt69

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82173.0.html

ill post their "findings" here after they take a look at the engine.

nrt69

its been 5 weeks since i returned my engine and they finally called me today.

they claim that my rebuilt eddy carb "has a lean condition" and my MP distributor "doesnt advance fast enough".