News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carmageddon in L.A.

Started by ChgrSteve67, July 14, 2011, 02:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

Carmageddon in L.A.  :smilielol: 

http://www.thirdage.com/news/405-carmageddon-in-l-a-this-weekend-part-of-freeway-closed_07-14-2011

405 Carmageddon is the name Los Angeles residents are giving the inevitable traffic congestion that will result when a 10-mile stretch of the 405 Freeway is closed for construction from Friday night to Monday morning between two of the nation's busiest interchanges.

The unprecedented 53-hour shutdown is expected to delay motorists for hours on alternate routes with repercussions on about a dozen other major highways, Reuters reports.

The delay is to allow crews to demolish a bridge as part of a $1 billion freeway-widening project.

In a sign that few motorists in America's second-largest city take a relaxed attitude toward the closure, Los Angeles plans to open its emergency operations center over the weekend.

Hollywood being Hollywood, officials have thus enlisted a troupe of celebrities to warn motorists of the impending gridlock.

~~~~
Even all of the way up in Sacramento (7 hours away) there are road signs warning of the closure.
Even with state wide signes of the closure there will still be people that will go down ther and say they didn't know about it.

-Steve

Rolling_Thunder

yep...        the closure is about 15 minutes up the 405N from my house...      i'm soo no looking forward to it...    I'm just staying home and working on the charger  :lol: 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ponch ®

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 14, 2011, 05:14:23 PM
yep...        the closure is about 15 minutes up the 405N from my house...      i'm soo no looking forward to it...    I'm just staying home and working on the charger  :lol:  

The whole Carmaggedon thing is overhyped. Besides, Im thinking that if everyone who says theyre staying home or not going anywhere actually follows through with that, then the streets will be empty and navigating around LA shouldn't be too bad.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

68X426

I was living in SoCal during the 1984 Olympics. It was supposed to be the end of the world....

Everyone adjusted or just left town. It was easy to get around.

Prediction: this won't be a big deal and won't be talked about after Monday. Right up there with swine flu and hurricanes in Manhattan.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Rolling_Thunder

yep -  actually got a car show sunday in torrance - but that's nowhere near the 405/10    :2thumbs:

Ponch ®

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 14, 2011, 06:52:44 PM
yep -  actually got a car show sunday in torrance - but that's nowhere near the 405/10    :2thumbs:

The Rockola deal? I go every year, but im on the other side of Carmaggedon. Im still gonna see if theres a way to get there, but i suspect all alternae routes (110, 710, PCH) will be packed.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Rolling_Thunder

yep - the rockola deal...      my car club is hosting that show...    doesnt look like my Charger will be ready -  oh well.    But i should be there without issue. 

Ponch ®

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 15, 2011, 01:04:19 AM
yep - the rockola deal...      my car club is hosting that show...    doesnt look like my Charger will be ready -  oh well.    But i should be there without issue.  

This weekend is gonna suck for car shows. The huge Glendale Cruise Night is on Saturday and theres GM/Chevy show at Woodley Park on Saturday as well. Can't really blame it on bad planning by the organizers because in all fairness, shows that big are usually at least 6 months in the works...and they only announced the freeway closure maybe 2 months ago. Once those dates are set, its a PITA to deal with civic authorities to get them changed.

But anyway...im gonna be checkin up and see how things look on Sunday. I really wanna come out and support your club's show since you guys always come out to ours (the Fling shows).