News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

glass scratches

Started by JT01, July 04, 2011, 07:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT01

Is there anyway to get light scratches out of glass my back glass has a few light ones in it around the edges other than that its in really good shape.

nvrbdn

i was told that there is a buffing compound that will buff out the scratches on glass. its supposed to even take out wiper blade scratches. i think most glass places can get the stuff for you,especially an auto glass place. just cant remember the name of it.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BIGBLCK11

It is called jeweler's rouge.  It is pretty easy to find at a hardware store.  But, I have read on here in an older post, that if you can "grab" the scratch with a fingernail, it won't get it out.  Maybe a glass shop could still do it.  I tried the jeweler's rouge with no luck. 

doctor4766

Jewlers rouge isn't really of any use to the home handyman unless it's used with the proper buffing wheel, and it's really just the finishing step after scratches have been polished out.
In my experience in the autoglass industry I've only ever seen scratches successfully removed using a series of polishing pads of varying grit. The equipment is too expensive for a novice to own btw.
The down side to this method is that you can end up with distortion in the glas that can be just as annoying as the original scratches, and the labor cost involved can often be close to a replacement glass.
I'd really only have a window polished if it were near on impossible to get a new one or if the cost of that new one were extremely high.

Novus is a US company I think. I know they will polish glass here in Australia, but do your homework first before you book your car in for scratch removal. You may decide to live with it instead.
Gotta love a '69

gtx6970

I bought a so called 'glass polishing kit' from Eastwood,,,,,,,absolute and complete waste of $50

about all it's good for is removing any haze the glass may have, And any haze can be removed with a white scrotchbrite pad and some hand glaze - if you any scratches it's pointless, you will NOT get them out.

randy73

There is a product you can buy that is supposed to fill scratches and make them invisible when looking straight at the glass. Safelite and other glass companies use a similar commercial grade stuff for repairing cracks in windows. Sorry, but I do not remember the name.

doctor4766

Quote from: randy73 on July 05, 2011, 03:20:47 PM
There is a product you can buy that is supposed to fill scratches and make them invisible when looking straight at the glass. Safelite and other glass companies use a similar commercial grade stuff for repairing cracks in windows. Sorry, but I do not remember the name.
Actually, you make a good point.
Cracks and stone chips in laminated glass are filled with a resin that's pressurised in through a device called a bridge.Once the repair is done, another resin, often referred to as pit filler is applied to the original impact point on the glass. That is cured with ultra violet light, and is then scraped level with a blade and followed up with a light plastic polish.
I've never considered using pit filler just to fill a scratch but might give it a try the next time I have a vehicle in that's in need of it.
Gotta love a '69

twodko

After our car came home from paint we discovered vertical scratches in the drivers & drivers quarter glass due to rolling the glass up/down without the wiskers in place. Yeah, I was really angry but it was a he said vs he said thingy. I spoke with an auto glass guy who told me "the only way to repair glass scratches your finger nail will catch on is to buy new glass". I'm just sayin'.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

JT01

The ones I have you cant feel I quess there more like scuffs a couple look like thin scratches but like I said you cant feel any of them.