News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 source stroker with mopar purple cam

Started by 68charger440, July 04, 2011, 03:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

Hello, I have a 440 stroked to 500" using 440 source stroker kit.  I have stock 906 heads.  Can I put a Mopar Purple cam or something similar in there without machining the heads or changing the rocker arms.  Also, is it a must to change the valve springs in that setup.  The car will mostly be a street car with a trip to the track once in a while for fun.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

tatrick2me

You can run any cam you want. But if I was you I'd call the folks at Mancini racing for advice.
Bone 7

Rolling_Thunder

it is always a good idea to go with the recommended valve springs for whatever cam you go with...         what were you looking for ?  power brakes ? good idle ? lopey idle ?   what's the rest of the combo ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68charger440

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 04, 2011, 05:03:47 PM
it is always a good idea to go with the recommended valve springs for whatever cam you go with...         what were you looking for ?  power brakes ? good idle ? lopey idle ?   what's the rest of the combo ?
I want the lopey idle mostly because I love the sound as much as the performance. I'm not a serious racer.  It's got a 727 with a shift kit.  Stock converter, but I will eventually go with a 2500 stall in a year or two.  Edelbrock performer RPM intake and Holley 870 street avenger carb.  Mallory Hyfire ignition, and HEI distributor. 3:91 sure grip.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

FLG

Lope does not equal performance. Put too big of a cam and a guy on a bycycle can take you off the line. Best bet is to either wait until the more experienced guys chime in or call voodoo or engle and tell them what you have and they can recommend a cam based on your combo. Everything in the driveline needs to be matched to coencide with the power band of the engine. You can have a 500hp engine but with the wrong stall and gearing it can fall flat on its face.

1Bad70Charger

Those old purple cams are outdated and the new modern grinds are 100% better for performance. You have a BIG ENGINE (modern stroker), and why hold down it maxium potential with an old school grind.

Call Engle as FLG suggests, and they will recommond one of their nice size flat tappet hyd. cams for you for ultimate performance, sound, etc., that is compatible with  your exisiting valvetrain.

Also, the right Comp Cams and Lunati Voodo Cam will be 100% better than the old fashion lobes on the purple cam that was popular 40 years ago.  New modern flat tappet hyd cams, with new retainers, locks, push rods, and valve springs are inexpensive.   I recall Firefighter, Ron, the resident cam (and overall performance guru here), previously telling me that you can go up to .510 lift and still use your stock oem 440 rocker arms on stock heads.  :2thumbs:

As a matter of fact, here is EXACTLY what Ron (Firefighter) was recommonding for me when I was planing on using my stock heads for a 440 build, and as you can see he said this cam would work good for a 500 inch engine also:   :cheers:

Here's what i would use....and it will work fine when you decide to build a stroker. The stock throttle and kickdown linkage also works with the SD.  

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-300-14/

The Comp XE284 hydraulic is 240/246 on a 110* LSA with .507/.510 valve lift

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL21-225-4/

Matching #911 valvesprings

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-911-16/
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Rolling_Thunder

yep - go with a modern grind....     I love Engle cams myself...    their old school designs seemed to work well with my past engine builds.

my personal choice would be an Engle K60 / K62 on a 110*LSA

Overall specs would be 288*/291*    238*/244* @ .050"   .534"/.539"     110* LSA

Again, personal choice here - I'm sure Ron would suggest something as well when he finds this thread     :2thumbs:

PS - your cylinder heads will be the great limiter in this combo
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 05, 2011, 06:43:02 PM
yep - go with a modern grind....     I love Engle cams myself...    their old school designs seemed to work well with my past engine builds.

Overall specs would be 288*/291*    238*/244* @ .050"   .534"/.539"     110* LSA

Again, personal choice here - I'm sure Ron would suggest something as well when he finds this thread     :2thumbs:

Yes, that is a great cam for the OP's 500 ci engine, but  isn't the oem rocker arms on the stock heads limited to .510 lift at .050?   Ron (Firefighter), previously told me this.
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

68charger440

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on July 05, 2011, 10:54:47 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 05, 2011, 06:43:02 PM

Thanks to all for your input.  I just got back home after spending the week up in the hills here in Colorado.  I don't have internet at my cabin so I just got to see all of the input.  I guess I will scrap the Mopar Purple thought, and go with a modern grind.  Thanks again to all!

Yes, that is a great cam for the OP's 500 ci engine, but  isn't the oem rocker arms on the stock heads limited to .510 lift at .050?   Ron (Firefighter), previously told me this.

Belgium R/T -68

I'm running a Engle K60 with 112° LSA in my 500" stroker after following Rons suggestion, never felt a stronger engine. :2thumbs:
I do have eddyheads but still think I should upgrade to adjustable rockers, feels a little bit riscy to stress the stock rockers.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Nacho-RT74

guys, have you checked MP released new cam grinds ?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82695.0.html

( well thinking... are they actually Mopar ? LOL )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on July 11, 2011, 06:32:45 AM
I'm running a Engle K60 with 112° LSA in my 500" stroker after following Rons suggestion, never felt a stronger engine. :2thumbs:
I do have eddyheads but still think I should upgrade to adjustable rockers, feels a little bit riscy to stress the stock rockers.

Per

I agree, according to Ron (Firefighter) you can safely run up to only .510 lift with stock rocker arms that the OP references, and although that K60 is a great street cam, I think you are pushing things with stock rocker arms.

Maybe Ron can pipe in here about the .510 cam lift being the comfort zone at .050 for stock rocker arms (b/c you guys know he is has a wealth of knowledge on this stuff).  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

With unmodified stock heads (no valve guide trimming) you are limited to .510 valve lift. Anything more and you will encounter retainer to guide clearance  :yesnod:

That being said ; the XE284 is an excellent street cam for a mild street stroker  :2thumbs:

Per ; no worries with the K60 and stock rocker system.....i wouldn't hesitate to run that combo in my own engine.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 13, 2011, 07:46:03 AM
With unmodified stock heads (no valve guide trimming) you are limited to .510 valve lift. Anything more and you will encounter retainer to guide clearance  :yesnod:

That being said ; the XE284 is an excellent street cam for a mild street stroker  :2thumbs:

Per ; no worries with the K60 and stock rocker system.....i wouldn't hesitate to run that combo in my own engine.  ;)

Ron

The man has spoken, order the Engle K60 cam for your 500 ci engine!  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on July 14, 2011, 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 13, 2011, 07:46:03 AM

Ron

The man has spoken, order the Engle K60 cam for your 500 ci engine!  :2thumbs:

That K60 will work with the stock heads and stock rocker system as long as the correct modifications are done to the factory heads (valve guides need to be shortened and aftermarket valve seals installed).

If using unmodified stock heads, the XE284H is what i would recommend.

* Of course, the correct valvesprings will need to be installed  :yesnod:

Just a clarification for the original poster  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs