News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can anyone identify this part?

Started by MaximRecoil, July 04, 2011, 01:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

It was in the engine compartment of my '69 Charger in the passenger side corner near the radiator. It was just sitting there loose, and was there when I got the car 17 years ago. The car was painted like the General Lee long before I got it (the paint on the car was already old and faded when I got it in the mid '90s), and the color of that cylinder matches the paint on the car, so I assume it got painted at the same time as the car. It sort of looks like a propane cylinder and someone suggested that it was part of the air conditioning system (the car did originally come with A/C, and most of it was removed and/or disconnected when I got it), but I don't know if they're right or not because I don't know what a complete A/C system looks like in my car (318 automatic).

If it is not part of the A/C system, my only guess is that maybe someone had a nitrous oxide system hooked up to give it more power for its jump (not only is the car painted like the General Lee, but it had been jumped [with a nose-forward landing] at some point in time, and subsequently straightened/repaired).

Does anyone know for sure what it is?

1BAD68

Looks like a tire inflation cylinder.
They held some kind of compressed gas and would fill a space saver spare tire.
I remember those from the 80's

Mick70RR

Maybe it was used to operate the air horns.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

John_Kunkel

Could be the remnants of a fire extinguisher with the handle and valve rotted off.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

terrible one

Since it was mounted in the engine bay, if it really is for pressurized air, then I agree with Mick70RR's theory: used for the dixie horns.

A383Wing

well, it's junk now...I would not trust putting any air pressure into it

MaximRecoil

Quote from: A383Wing on July 04, 2011, 05:13:16 PM
well, it's junk now...I would not trust putting any air pressure into it

I wasn't planning to use it for anything. I just want to know what it is.

The Dixie horn kits come with a small air compressor that runs off 12 VDC (image link). They don't need any additional parts beyond what they come with. Plus, I don't see anything to indicate that this car has ever had Dixie horns installed.

TylerCharger69

looks like a propane bottle from the relief valve on top

A383Wing

I suppose it could have been used as another vacuum can

MaximRecoil

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on July 04, 2011, 08:39:20 PM

Looks like a propane bottle to me too, though I can't imagine why a propane bottle would have the same paint as the car and be sitting in the engine compartment. Do bottles for any other type of gas have that relief valve on top? Someone in this thread mentioned it looked like the remains of a fire extinguisher. I have seen an old fire extinguisher that looked like it (the bottle part), including the seam around the middle, but it didn't have the relief valve on top.

six-tee-nine

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on July 04, 2011, 08:39:20 PM

My first impression too. Center fits on the torch and the outer is the expantion valve.......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Cooter

That is my guess as well...Looks to be an old Propane Cylinder. Not even part of the original car.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1BAD68

This is what I was talking about...

MaximRecoil

Quote from: 1BAD68 on July 05, 2011, 03:49:08 PM
This is what I was talking about...

It does look a lot like that. I wonder if that has the little relief valve on top.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: nope - it's an IUD - looks just like the GFs'...  :shruggy:

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

John_Kunkel

Is it a relief valve or a charging valve? The straight-on shot could be either.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 06, 2011, 05:36:42 PM

Is it a relief valve or a charging valve? The straight-on shot could be either.

I don't know. How do you tell the difference?