News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Daytona Chrome Exhaust Tips

Started by 69hemidaytona, July 03, 2011, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

Does anybody have photos of what the original chrome exhaust tips looked like on a Daytona? Including the hanger bracket....Thanks.....Tony

hemigeno

:yesnod:

Do you need pics of the chrome tip out of the car?  If you're looking for how the hanger is connected to the tip, it is bent in almost an "S" shape and inserted in a slot on the tip - then spotwelded into place.  A later style of tip was basically an "L" shaped hanger tab welded to the top of the chrome tip's barrel.  While that later style was less susceptible to leakage and rust-through, it differed from the originals.  If no one else posts pictures of how they look, I have good pics on my PC at the office, but won't be back there until after Carlisle.

Mopar John

Tony,
Here is a picture of the original style tip. Like Gene says the hanger tab goes into the tip slot and curves down and towards the front of the car. The weld is also deep inside the slot and not out on top!
MJ

69hemidaytona

Thanks a lot Gene and John. That answers my question perfectly. Have a Happy 4th of July...

hemi68charger

I thought the tip clamps were these Geno.... ???  Dang, I just bought them for my Daytona.

Geno's in one picture..

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

nascarxx29

My car had the other type clamps on the original exhaust system :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 03, 2011, 07:46:23 PM
I thought the tip clamps were these Geno.... ???  Dang, I just bought them for my Daytona.

Troy, below is a quote from John A. in my Daytona resto thread where he questioned the use of Q-clamps a while back.  I asked around a bit further and found that even though they were "technically" allowed, very few (if any) '69 cars used the Q-clamps.  The 1970 model year and later is a different story.  

Quote from: johntpr on January 07, 2010, 09:41:03 AM
I'm not sure if it is just a case of the assembly lines workers using whatever they had laying around, but I've never seen an original unrestored Daytona that had Q Clamps holding the Chrome exhaust tips to the tail pipes.  I remember talking to Frank Badalson about that too.  The clamps on original cars I've seen were the regular types with 2 nuts.

Dave Benasutti's car before it was restored was the way i described.

I mentioned Q-clamps in other posts as well (emphasis added):
Quote from: hemigeno on February 05, 2010, 01:23:27 PM
Some exhaust clamp detail shots here...

The first is the number stamping on the Q-clamps.  We've already discussed that Q-clamps were not used universally on '69 cars, but for those who got them, this is the number stamping you'd see.

Quote from: hemigeno on October 15, 2010, 06:16:04 PM
In these pictures, I tried to show some of the other rearward components.  Some of these have been addressed, and some have not.  The shock mounting plates have been stripped and RPM'd, and they look/feel perfect.  The back side of the backing plates and U-Bolts are visible in the second picture, and hopefully they'll look just as pristine many years from now (with no effort to keep rust at bay).

The third picture serves as a reminder to me that the exhaust tip mounting plate (which doubles as the transport tie-down bracket) will need to be replaced with another pair.  These look respectably good, but they have been filled & painted and wiped down with a thin layer of cosmoline.  In 1969 they would have been left bare from the factory, and that presents a problem - since the back end of the car is a particularly harsh area for corrosion.  As a result, nearly every '69 you find (except maybe those in the southwest states) will have at least some pits on their brackets.  Luckily, 1970 Chargers had their brackets painted to protect them a little better.  Other than paint, the brackets are identical... which means a set of decent '70 exhaust tip hanger brackets is on my list of parts to run down.

In the last picture you can see the installed tailpipes.  It was quite a long time before we found a pair of these that matched in coating and condition.  I'm wondering about the wisdom of seeing if the inside exhaust surfaces could be Jet-Hot coated (or with some similar hi-temp product).  Starting the car up without allowing it to get all the way to operating temperatures will leave condensation in exhaust pipes/components, and guys with complete NOS exhaust systems have seen them rust out rapidly without hardly driving them.  Oh, and we are waiting for another set of original exhaust clamps to materialize before changing out the Q-clamps on the exhaust tips.

Didn't mean to give the wrong impression about which clamps were going to be used, and you're not the only one who picked up on my car still having Q-clamps installed fairly "late in the game".  It had been my intention for a while to go with regular muffler clamps, it just unfortunately takes a very long time to find correct parts.

hemigeno

Another photo of the "S" or "Z" shaped hanger bracket that is inserted in the chrome tip's slot.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on July 04, 2011, 10:35:23 AM

Troy, below is a quote from John A. in my Daytona resto thread where he questioned the use of Q-clamps a while back.  I asked around a bit further and found that even though they were "technically" allowed, very few (if any) '69 cars used the Q-clamps.  The 1970 model year and later is a different story.  

Well rats......... No, it's my fault, I should have read the complete topic............. I totally understand about the '70-'71's. All my post-69 Charger R/T's all had the Q-clamp......... Oh well.......... I'll just be one of the Q-ers..  :icon_smile_big:   Plus, I like the way they look, much cleaner........  So, I'll put the regular clamps with my Daytona stash......

Thanks Geno !!!
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Richard Cranium

Looks at that quality factory chrome!   :lol:  Years ago (more like 2+ decades), I drove my parts guy nuts with a pair of exhast tips that I ordered. They kept coming in cut at an angle (left to right) instead of being cut squarely.  :brickwall:
I am Dr. Remulac

pettybird

like a little off or were they ordering 67 GTX tips?

Richard Cranium

Quote from: pettybird on July 05, 2011, 11:08:39 AM
like a little off or were they ordering 67 GTX tips?

They were off about 1/4" from one side to the other which is a lot in that short of a span.  :yesnod:
I am Dr. Remulac

Magnumcharger

And here are the latest in reproduction exhaust tips, for the enthusiast who cares not for "numbers" and a bit more for "performance"! :D :smilielol:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

UFO

Quote from: Magnumcharger on July 05, 2011, 06:38:01 PM
And here are the latest in reproduction exhaust tips, for the enthusiast who cares not for "numbers" and a bit more for "performance"! :D :smilielol:

Cool, I've got a set of those.
Will have get rid of those Frankenstein style bolts thou.

y3chargerrt

I'm not loving those tips. I tried to find a  stainless 2 1/4" repro stock tip but struck out. All the repros seem to be 2 /2" and up so I went for regular steel tips.