News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

small block timing and header bolt questions

Started by nrt69, July 02, 2011, 10:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrt69

1- how do you set the timing on a small block that has a driver side water pump outlet and a power steering pump in the way of the timing marks?

2- ive got a small coolant leak coming from the first driver side header bolt, any suggestions on how to fix? ive tightened it as much as possible.

RogerDodger

I used Permatex thread sealant with teflon on my header bolts. Worked good. I would dry out the threads in the block good before installing them.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: nrt69 on July 02, 2011, 10:06:44 PM
1- how do you set the timing on a small block that has a driver side water pump outlet and a power steering pump in the way of the timing marks?

You have mismatch of parts.
There's two ways to fix it.

Put a 1970 or newer style water pump on the engine and have a radiator shop modify the lower radiator tank.

Put a 1969 or older timing chain cover on the engine and with a piece of timing tape on the harmonic balancer move the timing marks.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.