News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 383 help w/ finding nbr 1 on distributor

Started by randy73, July 01, 2011, 10:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

On my 70 Cuda, I took off the cap to replace the distributor w/ a electronic distributor.  Well my luck being what it is, I managed to drop the old distributor on the cap and proceed to disconnect all the SP wires. Murphy follows me everywhere   :eek2:

So I know to put cylinder at 2.5 BTDC for nbr 1 cylinder, but I have a to which one is number one on the cap, the one next to the valve covers or the one nearest the WP?
So anyone with a 383, could you tell me which is nbr 1 and yes I managed to FLUCK it up that bad.    :brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall:

maxwellwedge

Depending on how the distributor gear was plopped in - #1 can wind up anywhere.

The best way is to pull #1 spark plug and (with the key off!!) bump the engine a bit at a time until #1 is on the compression stroke and your timing mark lines up on the harmonic balancer. Wherever the rotor is pointing is number one. Make sure you have plenty of vacuum advance can travel to the left and right for adjusting the timing later before you decide which distributor cap tower you want to pick as #1. Once you have that dialed in, give the distributor a tiny twist clockwise to give it a little advance - this should get the distributor close enough to fire up the engine. Keep the hold down clamp tight enough so you can mave the distributor around with a little effort - you dont want it too loose over the distributor is going to move on you. Then you can put your timing light on after to get it perfect. I would go with something more advanced than the factory spec....start at 5 BTDC.

randy73

You missed my problem, I had the distributor out and it turned. I know how to find TDC on the balancer, just need to know which way the distributor goes in, sorry if I was not clear.

johnnycharger

Hi Randy
I just emailed you a pic. It was too big to post on here. I think it is what you are looking for.

randy73

Quote from: johnnycharger on July 02, 2011, 10:49:01 AM
Hi Randy
I just emailed you a pic. It was too big to post on here. I think it is what you are looking for.

You are the man, it was exactly what I needed.   :cheers:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: randy73 on July 02, 2011, 10:43:35 AM
You missed my problem, I had the distributor out and it turned. I know how to find TDC on the balancer, just need to know which way the distributor goes in, sorry if I was not clear.

No problem. But if you don't remember which way the rotor was pointing (50/50 chance here) before you took it out -  a diagram of where #1 is on the cap may not help you. Hence my wordy post.... :lol:     :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: randy73 on July 01, 2011, 10:28:01 PM

So I know to put cylinder at 2.5 BTDC for nbr 1 cylinder,

And you want to be sure it's TDC on the compression stroke, not TDC on the exhaust stroke. Pull the #1 plug  and feel for the compression while turning the crank. (unless you enjoy flames from the carburetor)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.