News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alt belt loose

Started by grdprx, July 01, 2011, 12:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

I pulled the WP housing to work on installing a secondary temp sensor.  I got it all put back together last night and I can't get the belt tight.  It's all the way out on the adjustment arm, and I can see where it used to sit, about 2/3 the way out.  There isn't a wrong way to put it back together is there?  The triangle bracket only goes one way.

maxwellwedge

grdprx

Charger_Dart

Just a guess - but the fan and power steering belts are very close in size. Not sure if you have power steering, but maybe check to see it they got swapped ?
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

maxwellwedge

Is it installed like this?

grdprx

Quote from: Charger_Dart on July 01, 2011, 12:19:58 PM
Just a guess - but the fan and power steering belts are very close in size. Not sure if you have power steering, but maybe check to see it they got swapped ?

I checked the part # on the belt on Napa's site.. It's the alt belt.  I don't have the PS hooked up yet, but I don't know if I have a belt floating around here or not.. So I just double checked.

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 01, 2011, 03:08:22 PM
Is it installed like this?

Yes, that's how it looks.  I don't think the holes would line up otherwise..  I guess the next step is to compare my belt to a new one?  See if it stretched?  It was tight when I took it off, it's only been a couple weeks..  who knows.   :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

There are usually 2 holes in the face of the alternator that the adjusting strap bolt threads into....See if you are using the right one. That would change your range of adjustment....worth a look.

grdprx

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 02, 2011, 08:42:24 AM
There are usually 2 holes in the face of the alternator that the adjusting strap bolt threads into....See if you are using the right one. That would change your range of adjustment....worth a look.

That's the winning answer!  Thank you sir!  Seems that while I was manhandling the alternator trying to bolt it in by myself, that I used the wrong hole..  :brickwall:
All is well again.  Thanks.

maxwellwedge

The free fixes are the best!  :2thumbs:

FLG

Surprised it took this long to figure out...i always thought it was pretty clear when you had things in the wrong hole?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

grdprx

Quote from: FLG on July 02, 2011, 10:59:21 PM
Surprised it took this long to figure out...i always thought it was pretty clear when you had things in the wrong hole?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Touche!  But it felt so right!   :rofl: