News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WTF is wrong with some of the kids around the "car world"??

Started by jb666, July 01, 2011, 11:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

This is why you buy a FORD GT Supercar or a Euro-Exotic car, it avoids the whole whats better than what issue as you are way out of their league to not ever have to even ask the question as it would be a dumb question to ask.

:icon_smile_big:

Troy

Quote from: G-man on July 06, 2011, 02:03:44 PM
This is why you buy a FORD GT Supercar or a Euro-Exotic car, it avoids the whole whats better than what issue as you are way out of their league to not ever have to even ask the question as it would be a dumb question to ask.

:icon_smile_big:
You seriously think people who own those cars don't argue over what is better?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

G-man

THey probbably do. But I was refering to "Muscle or import" issues. They just argue amongst Ferrari or Lambo which are both still the same breed of vehicle.

I guess what needs to be dertimined is, what makes a  car good, or, why argue over whats better (Import or muscle).

1: they all have an engine
2: they all got 4 wheels
3: They all have a certain look
etc...

What I see makes a car good depends on why you baught it for.

For example... If you are after a cheap car to run that can have decent power and high reliability, then sorry Jap imports win here, muscle cars are nothing but trouble and expensive to run (so u could say they suck as there not even that reliable)

On the other hand, if Power is what you are after without all the troubles and dramas of intercoolers, turbo maintenence etc, then Muscle cars definately provide power for cheap and they have lasted over 40 years (with all the bugs they got).

If your after a car that handles well, drives well, has  serious power, uses the top of the line technology and parts/materials , which makes it extremelly expensive because nothing but the best was used in it, hand  crafted not mass produced like any other car, and u dont mind the fact it has NO room in it whatsoever for practical purposes, then Exotic cars are the best.

In general, what makes a car good?

Id say the most important thing is reliability. If u have a car thats fast but always breaks down on u, its obviously a car that is shit. So most commuters are good cars, they get u to work and back, they last a long time, they work without any trouble, they are good cars. But when ur after performance, then they are shit.

As far as the whole super car ppl whats better than what, Since there all inpractical cars, then the only thing to dertermine whats better is the way they perform as they do nothing else.The Enzo ferrari is better than all Lambos but its also a Hyper car that isnt a real production line sort of vehicle, so going to the standard ferraris and Lamborghinis, the Murciellago is the fastest one in terms of top speed and cornering capability. However, it has no racing heritage like that of Ferrari. Thats where I like the GT. With 200hp less than the above mentioned cars its almost the same speed around the track as they are, not to mention it costs $$$ less aswell.

But ur right Troy about what you said in your first few replies, however nobody should walk around saying "THis is all shit,  all american cars are shit", they are? Thats why American Muscle (mopar  particulary) dominates Drag racing and Top fuelers that run over 6000 HP run HEMI engines, thats why for not that much u can build a big block motor with 600-700hp, natural aspirated, no troubles of intercoolers, and still have room to take the family out and have enough trunk space to be somewhat practical, thats why it was the American ford GT40 that dominated Lemans above that of ferrari and Lamborghini etc 6 year wins in a row. There shit? Perhaps on fuel but they got more space than imports, so there more practical, have much larger trunk room than imports, so u could go on a holiday if u choose to and u can do it all with a 600+ HP v8 that needs no power adders.

So whats better then?

:shruggy:

Rolling_Thunder

dude...   I get crap for swapping a 6.1 into my charger...      some people just can't be pleased and are never happy...       I just shrug and ask "and what did you drive here?"
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

moparstuart

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 06, 2011, 03:40:24 PM
dude...   I get crap for swapping a 6.1 into my charger...      some people just can't be pleased and are never happy...       I just shrug and ask "and what did you drive here?"
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: some people will say anything
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

71wrenchhead

Quote from: mopar0166 on July 01, 2011, 03:03:35 PM
Anyone can try and weld a soup can on a hondas muffler and think they are fast, it takes a real car guy to work on a 40 yr car, and then have it run good, sound good, look good, and actually god very fast wit out falling apart.  i give these kids no respect, the cars can put up some numbers but they car car guys.  Im only in my 30' and i see the younger kids with thier hondas telling me off it s just plain stupid!   at at stop lights where they are reeving them up thier soup cans, i pull up and then reeve up the big block and that quickly stops!  There will always be more respect for the original muscle over new school stuff. 

Just my two cents  :cheers: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

HAHHAHAHAHHA, i once tacked a soup can to my old jeeps exhaust cuz i snapped it when i was bouncin around some dirt roads  :P
but hey, i can appreciate the work someone does building a honda to go insanely fast and look like a cereal box prize
i can also appreciate someon puttin a lot of work into restoring any car back to original
the way i see it, you build a car to do what you want
kids want to go really fast and when they are done store their car in a shoe box under thier bed while they enjoy their favorite cartoons over a juice box
the older generation would rather pay a ridiculous mortgage for a 2 car garage, house, space to work on it, and all the shipping costs that go with aquiring parts that are insanely expensive

food for thought
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

nvrbdn

we have decent size car shows around here that will include ricers, muscle, classic, new cars and trucks. i see these kids get there early and clean the crap out of their cars hitting every spot just like us old guys do. dragin out the buckets and cloths. and when they are all done they move around and admire all the vehicles with awe (since they see how much effort their own machines are). i think most the car kids are this way and you just met one of the few idiots with nothing constructive to say and needing his "better than thou" side to show. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Darkman

Hey....I own a Charger. For me it was/is an import, so does that make it part of the really cool crowd  :rofl:

Kids that have comments like that have never worked on a car in their life! Their parents probably bought them their car completely show ready!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Brass

Quote from: Cooter on July 03, 2011, 09:05:17 AM
No Import can hold a candle to a musclecar when it comes to the "Coolness" factor...
Which is why even the Fast and the Furious franchise, which was initially conceived to showcase the import/tuner cars, gradually became more and more about the muscle.

I've met quite a few newer-car and import owners who were a joy to talk with.  If they're affable, its pretty easy to get on their page.  But I love that Chargers will always be cool.

G-man

Quote from: Brass on July 07, 2011, 02:23:28 PM
Quote from: Cooter on July 03, 2011, 09:05:17 AM
No Import can hold a candle to a musclecar when it comes to the "Coolness" factor...
Which is why even the Fast and the Furious franchise, which was initially conceived to showcase the import/tuner cars, gradually became more and more about the muscle.

I've met quite a few newer-car and import owners who were a joy to talk with.  If they're affable, its pretty easy to get on their page.  But I love that Chargers will always be cool.

Cool factor... tell that to the guy this whole thread was about. Coolness is in the eye of the beholder. There is no facts about it just mere personal opinion. On the other hand, it could also be argued that the reason why Muscle cars started getting introduced after the first one is because the muscle car companies wanted/needed some publicity. They saw the first movie was a Hit so they wanted in. If there so cool im sure alot of the tuner people who have spent 100 000+ on there tuner c ould have EASILY baught a muscle car and for a lot less $ produce the power. Making an import identical to charger or any muscle car is almost double the price. So i doubt the whole "They cant afford muscle" business is even valid. Go price up HKS installments to make a skyline or supra say 650hp, + HKS intercoolers HKS Headers etc etc needed to make that power work. 50 000+

Charger, u spend what, 12 000 and u got a 700HP engine. Thats a quarter of the price for the same thing.

Darkman

As what was said before, kids with any idea (or respect for that matter) for older cars wouldn't make comments like that. It is true that coolness is in the eye of the beholder, but a big block Charger pulling up to the lights next to a over modified ricer will still get more attention (especially with straight through exhaust!). Rev a mild big block next to a turbocharged 4 banger and tell me who gets the most attention
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

TexasStroker

I'm probably going to tick someone off, so I won't check back  :lol:

But, here is my take...

I'm a very simple guy.

I like Mopars.  That is it.  That is all.  If I was dropped into a random car show full of the world's nicest rods, camaros, mustangs, and imports, I would be the guy that went like steel to a magnet over the rusted out, Slant Six, 4 door Dart...that is just my style.  If I could find the owner, I would proably talk to them until they got sick of me asking questions.  If they left and I still had time to kill, I would comb the lot for another Mopar.  If nothing turned up, I would then spend my time glancing at the other rides.

I can appreciate the work that goes into a rat rod (yes, it really does take work, lol), a 100k 32 ford, a restomod camaro/mustang, and a tricked out supra.  If there was legislation against modifications etc I would stand up and bat to help out the impacted end of the hobby.  I try very hard to never bash someone's car knowing that to them it is as important as the Mopars are to me.  If people talk trash to me for no reason I just brush it off.  I've been told anything and everything negative about everything from the Charger being worthless with a 440, incorrect for not having a gold pentastar, and the Duster being a paint job short of a good car.  I even had someone call the Mopar 10 a stock as rock, boring car.  Did any of them ever ask anything about the cars?  No.  They made assumptions, passed judgment, and went griping to all their friends about the "crappy nova" (brand x for Duster).

At the end of the day, I don't care.  It is actually funny to hear some of the comments, people usually don't assume that I am the owner of the cars and they will stand by assaulting me with their analysis of the car  ::)  It is funny to hop in and fire the car up as they still carry on bashing your car  :coolgleamA: 

Most people tend to be like myself.  We won't go out of our way to bash anyone's ride, but we stand firm in what we like and prefer.  It is a small percent who are vocal with their opinions to the point of being annoying or hurting someone's feelings.  I just simply don't care.  Often times these are people who leave the car show in a daily driver avalon or cavalier...it blows my mind sometimes.

I've just come to accept you can't make everyone else happy, and I sure as heck don't intend to...these are my cars and I will focus on making myself happy...if that ticks someone off, I must be doing something right.  I wouldn't put much stock in the comments from anyone, whether they are rude brand-x minions or devout Mopar purists (who ironically are sometimes the most harsh on other Mopars, despite the owner being guilty of many of the same offenses (Cragars, Grant wheel, etc)).  I'm a Mopar guy, and I will always do my cars the way I want them to be...If you don't like it, it is fine with me...the cars aren't for sale, so you will have to be the one to loose sleep at night  :icon_smile_cool:

Just my take...Have fun with your car, focus on meeting good people who share your interest, and don't worry about what others think.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

charger Downunder

I love Mopars and i teach my kids to appreciate all cars new or old (respect).

I would rather look at a car with a chrome bumper than one with a plastic one.
[/quote]

derailed

Quote from: charger Downunder on July 08, 2011, 05:08:07 AM
I love Mopars and i teach my kids to appreciate all cars new or old (respect).

I would rather look at a car with a chrome bumper than one with a plastic one.
Speaking of which, the new Challengers with the aftermarket chrome bumpers look sharp.