News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WTF is wrong with some of the kids around the "car world"??

Started by jb666, July 01, 2011, 11:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derailed

Quote from: Back N Black on July 01, 2011, 10:32:37 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 01, 2011, 10:16:15 PM
I had a kid with a WRX tell me his car was much faster than my Charger.  I said, go get me a 69 Suparu and I'll race that.  I also said why don't we pull your lawn mower engine out and drop it in my big old car and see what the 1/4 mile time is and then I'll drop my 800 lb motor in your go cart after we make the suspension solid and see what time you do with my engine ?  :slap:
Overall it is a good thing that some kids still like cars.  I still see it as a dying hobby.

Sounds like you were making excuses because the WRX could beat you ass!  :nana:
Very true, 1 car you might want to bite your tongue and avoid.

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Back N Black on July 01, 2011, 10:32:37 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 01, 2011, 10:16:15 PM
I had a kid with a WRX tell me his car was much faster than my Charger.  I said, go get me a 69 Suparu and I'll race that.  I also said why don't we pull your lawn mower engine out and drop it in my big old car and see what the 1/4 mile time is and then I'll drop my 800 lb motor in your go cart after we make the suspension solid and see what time you do with my engine ?  :slap:
Overall it is a good thing that some kids still like cars.  I still see it as a dying hobby.

Sounds like you were making excuses because the WRX could beat you ass!  :nana:
Yeah your right.  better to get a SRT Hemi Charger from today and race a 69 Subaru.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Todd Wilson

Well I had an experience last weekend at the local Sonic Drive In.    A brother and sister were there. He just out of high skool and she was still in high skool.    SHe was rolling in a 64 Imperial that was in awesome original shape. He was in a 67 Mustang that was restored.   She had the right answer for every question I asked her.  Her and her friends were sitting around the car listening to 60's music on a jam box.  The brother does the work on the cars and they are taking them around to the local shows this year.

Todd

no318

Mike DC

Being a teen in the hobby is not always as fun as some of you guys might think.  

If you try to save up and build what you can afford, then you get criticized for driving the wrong modern car.  

If you try to get an old car, then you get griped at for mistreating it because of its raggedy condition.  After all, you failed to complete a $20,000 restoration within 1-2 years on your part-time burger-flipping salary while going to high school.  (And the guy griping at you has probably spent 5+ years on his own project car, if it's done at all.) 

But if your car is nice & old enough to win the respect of the older generation, then you will usually just get criticized for being too young to have earned it yourself.  Even the perfect car will not get you respect.  

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 01, 2011, 03:01:47 PM
'n the same arguments can apply to music.  :shruggy: some folks just have closed minds.   :-\   :shruggy:

:iagree:  Pick your topic, it's all "with us or against us" these days, or so it seems to me anyhow. Having a reasonable discussion about much is pointless these days.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bull

Quote from: jb666 on July 01, 2011, 11:45:54 AM
I had a kid walking around a car show I was at the other night. Found out he was 21.. Normal kid, so it appeared.. Until he opened his mouth... "Everything made in America is junk. Period. Doesn't matter when".

On his shirt was a "GOT TURBO?" statement.

This kid was just being an a-hole; just trying to piss people off because there's no reaon to say anything otherwise. Especially at a car show when most of the cars are in better-than-new condition. What exactly did he see that made him draw his conclusion? Nothing. Therefore he obviously just wanted to draw attention to himself. Just a little candy-a$$ jerk.

Darkman

Having worked on my Charger, I tend to agree in some aspects. There are some things that have me scratching my head as to why it was built that way, but after I sit down thinking about it, I realise that it is a 40+ year old car. I have been lucky to work on British, Australian and American made cars, unfortunately the british car was the easiest to work on and the "best" made followed by the Aussie car and then the Dodge. I did not buy the Charger for its build quality, I bought it for its style! And at the end of it all, the Charger would be the only car I would enjoy owning and driving!

Remember, the Charger was meant to be an affordable production car, not a hand made rolls royce!

One of my employees just paid $80k for a very nice new ute (pick up for you americans  :icon_smile_big: ) with 600+Hp. Admittedly it is a very nice car. When he ribs me about how his car would beat mine in a race, I just reply.....

"in 5 years time, my $20k vehicle will be worth $80k, while your $80k car will be worth $20k" it shuts him up every time!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

NHCharger

Jeff, I've had it happen with the older crowd too. Back when I use to do cruise nights (1996) I had my 71 Charger with it's tired paint job at a Walmart cruise night. The guy next to me had a Chevelle that was flawless. Some guy came up to me a said "holy sh!t a Charger, can I take some pics"? As he was snapping away the Chevelle owner asked him why he was taking pics of my polished turd. The guy with the camera said "you never see Chargers anymore, car's like your Chevelle are a dime a dozen".
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Cooter

It's funny, Every time I see one of the "Less knowledgable" import guys touting how they have a 1100 BHP Supra and how badass it is, they along with their friends seem to always at some point bring up how cool the musclecars are even today..I simply tell them I love the fact you can spend $100K in your Supra and make that kind of power. We need car guys making insane amounts of power. Only kicker is, nobody wants to stop you on the interstate and take a picture of your car no matter how much HP it makes. No Import can hold a candle to a musclecar when it comes to the "Coolness" factor...Every Video game that these typess seem to play on PS2, seem to ALWAYS have some sort of Old Skool musclecar on it...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Budnicks

Quote from: NHCharger on July 03, 2011, 07:02:04 AM
Jeff, I've had it happen with the older crowd too. Back when I use to do cruise nights (1996) I had my 71 Charger with it's tired paint job at a Walmart cruise night. The guy next to me had a Chevelle that was flawless. Some guy came up to me a said "holy sh!t a Charger, can I take some pics"? As he was snapping away the Chevelle owner asked him why he was taking pics of my polished turd. The guy with the camera said "you never see Chargers anymore, car's like your Chevelle are a dime a dozen".
I love that statement, it's exactly correct.  They made a ton more Chevelles then Chargers, I do like the 66-67 Chevelle body style though.
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Topher

Tophucious say: Bettah to keeep mouf shut an let uddahs tink you stuupid, dan to open an pruuve dem rite!

As with ALL situations, and younglings' attitudes, they were taught somewhere by someone to think this way. My sons are 20 and 16, and I have taken them to shows, cruise ins, and shops all their lives. I've taught them to respect others' cars, and builds regardless of whether they like it or not. If you've wrenched on your own car in ANY degree then you know what kind of effort it takes to do it, and to tear someone down or spout off smart remarks is dis respectful.

It's up to us to teach the younger generation. How else will the hobby survive?
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

dkn1997

His problem is his view of the world in absolutes.  Is every muslim a terrorist? no.  Is every Irishman a drunk? no.  Is every prius driver a tree hugging communist?  no.   (not really sure on the last two but what the hell)

The world is shades of grey.  There are plenty of good american cars just as much as there are plenty of subaru WRX owners that are true gearheads who are just as cool as we all think we are. 

While the extremist view of the world isnt the exclusive property of kids his age, it's more prevalent in younger people because when you haven't seen much of the world, it's easier to see it in black and white.

RECHRGED

aussiemuscle

Quote from: jb666 on July 01, 2011, 11:45:54 AM
.. "Everything made in America is junk. Period. Doesn't matter when".
Same thing in Australia. anything made here is crap, even if it's world-class, it's crap. People complain about Korea taking over the world, then go buy a Kia.  :brickwall:

John_Kunkel

The only reason current American cars are as good as they are is because Detroit was shamed into cleaning up its  act by the Japanese.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 01, 2011, 01:28:53 PM
or the "that's not a Charger..real Chargers have 2 doors" crowd.  :stirthepot:

but...    they do...        :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

TK73

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 04, 2011, 03:36:18 PM

The only reason current American cars are as good as they are is because Detroit was shamed into cleaning up its  act by the Japanese.

So true...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TK73

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 01, 2011, 04:03:55 PM
... and that it's strictly all about the bling bling and the ghetto sound systems...

That's what I see at the Mopar shows with the 4 doors...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TruckDriver

Not all younger kids like tuner imports. My oldest son, who is 16, hates them. And I never directed him into what kind of cars he should like. But he even stands up for good old American muscle cars at school. He tells me all the time how he argues with some of the kids there about how much cooler it is to make 500hp with pure mechanical muscle the just adding NOS or a computer chip. He agrees that there are some fast imports out there. But like Jesse always tells me, American Muscle cars can always do one thing that most imports tuners can not do, and that is a wheelie!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Brads70

I have 3 boys, aged 15,13,10 They love muscle cars. The oldest wants a 78-81 Trans-Am, the middle son wants a 69-70 fastback Mustang, and the youngest wants a 69 Charger  :D. They enjoy going to cruise nights , car shows, etc... Not all kids are into imports is my point.  :Twocents:

nh_mopar_fan

My kid bought himself a 'Stang and started getting crap from his friends because he bought a "douche" car. They both drive Subarus.

::)

mopar0166

At least it was an american muscle car,  most younger kids want a show and go car.  They didnt like this weekend when the charger was roaring at them like a fire breathing dragon. 

67440chrg

It needs to be taken on a case by case level. I have seen a good amount of young car people who respect old cars and some who don't. On the 4th me and my 2 daughters were at a local car show.  While I was standing behind my car listening to the awards given out a teen aged boy came up to my car and told my 7 and 9 year old his car would smoke ours he never had the nerve to talk to me or even tell them what he had. It is sad when it makes someone feel like more of a man to comment to 2 little girls. I hope he saw me leave with the best mopar award.

SRT-440

My 70 RR gets hated on by the "import" guys (which also hate on my SRT4 DD.. :shruggy:)...but it's funny when they see my Buick GN their knees start knocking...they always ask the same questions, what turbo, alky, tune..blah..blah...I usually say it's just a 80's american car that beats the imports (everytime) at their own game.  :nana:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)