News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WTF is wrong with some of the kids around the "car world"??

Started by jb666, July 01, 2011, 11:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Obviously excluding people like Frank, Cody and others here...

I had a kid walking around a car show I was at the other night. Found out he was 21.. Normal kid, so it appeared.. Until he opened his mouth... "Everything made in America is junk. Period. Doesn't matter when".

On his shirt was a "GOT TURBO?" statement.

I asked him what he owned. He said "A Subaru WRX".  :brickwall:

This type of ignorance never ceases to amaze me.. I wish it was my kid, I'd have smacked the white off his teeth... :slap:

Budnicks

Yep they like the foreign junk!   :brickwall:   :RantExplode:   :shruggy:  More of the good cars left for us...LOL...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

AKcharger

jb666

skip68

I look at it like this... any kid can get a Honda and afford it but these cars are out of their price range.   Or, they can finance a more expensive "wrx" or whatever and then plug in performance.     :shruggy:    Then again, Frank is about the same age isn't he?   Maybe guys like Frank & Cody just have more patients and are willing to work for their rides and performance to have something that the other guys don't.   :shruggy:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bull

jb666

Troy

What's the difference between that and the other side of the argument? Most of the old guys are chanting "buy American" even when they know the quality of our cars from the factory was less than desirable. Or, how about the "Mopar or No Car" crowd bashing on Chevy and Ford? Just be happy the kid was interested in cars at all. I know a whole lot of them that have no idea what brand they drive (or how to drive it) or how it works.

I can appreciate nearly any vehicle and I use shows to help broaden my views. That doesn't mean I *like* everything - just that I can appreciate someone else' efforts.

Now, having a big mouth and not knowing when to keep it shut is a different matter...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2011, 01:09:38 PM
What's the difference between that and the other side of the argument? Most of the old guys are chanting "buy American" even when they know the quality of our cars from the factory was less than desirable. Or, how about the "Mopar or No Car" crowd bashing on Chevy and Ford? Just be happy the kid was interested in cars at all. I know a whole lot of them that have no idea what brand they drive (or how to drive it) or how it works.

I can appreciate nearly any vehicle and I use shows to help broaden my views. That doesn't mean I *like* everything - just that I can appreciate someone else' efforts.

Now, having a big mouth and not knowing when to keep it shut is a different matter...

Troy

or the "that's not a Charger..real Chargers have 2 doors" crowd.  :stirthepot:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

jb666

Brock Samson

'n the same arguments can apply to music.  :shruggy: some folks just have closed minds.   :-\   :shruggy:

mopar0166

Anyone can try and weld a soup can on a hondas muffler and think they are fast, it takes a real car guy to work on a 40 yr car, and then have it run good, sound good, look good, and actually god very fast wit out falling apart.  i give these kids no respect, the cars can put up some numbers but they car car guys.  Im only in my 30' and i see the younger kids with thier hondas telling me off it s just plain stupid!   at at stop lights where they are reeving them up thier soup cans, i pull up and then reeve up the big block and that quickly stops!  There will always be more respect for the original muscle over new school stuff.  

Just my two cents  :cheers: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

Brock Samson

Richard Cranium

Quote from: jb666 on July 01, 2011, 12:25:13 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on July 01, 2011, 12:23:28 PM
I'd ask him where he was born?

I did... He was born and raised in Boston.

Those damn Massholes are everywhere!   :flame:

Oh wait, I'm one.   :lol:
I am Dr. Remulac

Troy

Quote from: mopar0166 on July 01, 2011, 03:03:35 PM
Anyone can try and weld a soup can on a hondas muffler and think they are fast, it takes a real car guy to work on a 40 yr car, and then have it run good, sound good, look good, and actually god very fast wit out falling apart.  i give these kids no respect, the cars can put up some numbers but they car car guys.  Im only in my 30' and i see the younger kids with thier hondas telling me off it s just plain stupid!   at at stop lights where they are reeving them up thier soup cans, i pull up and then reeve up the big block and that quickly stops!  There will always be more respect for the original muscle over new school stuff. 

Just my two cents  :cheers: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
A rather broad generalization. I know lots of kids who know a whole lot about working on cars (and, of course, a lot that truly believe that adding stickers will make them faster). However, there are a whole lot of guys with classic cars that can't tune them worth a damn as well (I fit this category every so often too). It's not like everyone who owns a car is a great mechanic or can tear it down and rebuild it blindfolded. Don't even get me started on driving "skills" (or lack thereof). YouTube is full of "fail" videos - old/new or foreign/domestic. Many cocky drivers in "fast" cars have looked awfully silly against obviously weaker opponents.

Making assumptions about others based on one fact is a really good way to look foolish.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 01, 2011, 01:28:53 PM
Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2011, 01:09:38 PM

Troy

or the "that's not a Charger..real Chargers have 2 doors" crowd.  :stirthepot:

I disagree with both of you with a caveat. The caveat being that most people aren't really all that serious about the fervent brand-loyal banner waving. Regardless, there's a difference here between showing disrespect toward the nostalgia in this hobby and bitching about quality. The Wright Brother's plane is a POS compared to a P51 Mustang and a P51 Mustang is a POS compared to an F22 but any F22 pilot with a brain, and a little bit of respect, wouldn't dream of mouthing off about how the older planes are junk. Especially in front of those who respect/piloted those planes just for the sake of pushing buttons. Plus, there's a lot to be said for understanding the way things were on the voyage to where we are now when it comes to technology.

That said, I think people who are ok with the new "Charger" don't seem to give a crap about nostalgia at all. To me that's a bad thing but perhaps to them they just see everything older than, say, 1999 as junk. I don't know what it is but I'm sure the quality of the new thing is fine but just the fact that it exists and was given the name it was given is a slight. I respect the car for what it is but what is it is not a Charger. To me the people who can't understand this are probably the ones wouldn't mind so much if a nice P51 were melted down to make pop cans.

b5blue

Keep in mind lot's of these kids were what I call "Mom's car kids". They got mom's car and souped it up as best they could. As a result they are kinda imprinted at a young age. I was talking to a cluster of "Tunners" nice kids, they were telling me about there mods and power build ups. One estimated his engines power at 350+ HP so I asked him what he did to the transmission? He replied: "OH do you fix transmissions! I've blown 3 in the last 2 months, what do I do?" I told him to buy a Dart or Duster and build a total package that can handle the power.  :lol: Their just young and know little of what they are doing.    

Ponch ®

Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2011, 03:29:25 PM
Quote from: mopar0166 on July 01, 2011, 03:03:35 PM
Anyone can try and weld a soup can on a hondas muffler and think they are fast, it takes a real car guy to work on a 40 yr car, and then have it run good, sound good, look good, and actually god very fast wit out falling apart.  i give these kids no respect, the cars can put up some numbers but they car car guys.  Im only in my 30' and i see the younger kids with thier hondas telling me off it s just plain stupid!   at at stop lights where they are reeving them up thier soup cans, i pull up and then reeve up the big block and that quickly stops!  There will always be more respect for the original muscle over new school stuff. 

Just my two cents  :cheers: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
A rather broad generalization. I know lots of kids who know a whole lot about working on cars (and, of course, a lot that truly believe that adding stickers will make them faster). However, there are a whole lot of guys with classic cars that can't tune them worth a damn as well (I fit this category every so often too). It's not like everyone who owns a car is a great mechanic or can tear it down and rebuild it blindfolded. Don't even get me started on driving "skills" (or lack thereof). YouTube is full of "fail" videos - old/new or foreign/domestic. Many cocky drivers in "fast" cars have looked awfully silly against obviously weaker opponents.

Making assumptions about others based on one fact is a really good way to look foolish.

Troy

I made a similar point in a 4-door CHARGER bashing thread a couple of months ago: the old car guys refuse to believe (maybe out of their own insecurities) that anyone who is into newer/modern cars has any kind of mechanical skill or talent, and that it's strictly all about the bling bling and the ghetto sound systems. On the other hand, every time I go on a cruise with a mostly classic car group, it's usually the guy with the nicest car that has a problem and he's just standing around while other guys help fix it because he doesn't know what's what.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bordin34

I hang out with tuners most of the time and while some have no idea about cars a lot know just as much as anybody here and do their own work. They can also make crazy power out of 3.0l engines. I was driving down to a show with a couple hundred tuners and for fun revved next to a Supra with DOT slick. He barely got on the throttle and spun the slicks at 70mph on the highway, crazy power. There are alot of 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder turbo imports that will walk most people on here and still get 25mpg.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

jb666

Now tonight was different... Large show, 750+ cars... One of the many people that approached us was a 19(?) year old kid. He was all excited to see my ProCharger. He just picked one up for an '87 Monte SS he's building. Couldn't wait to show me the video of his motor running (blown) and tell me EVERY detail of his build. Very cool kid.

Hey, the way I see it --- Foreign, American, no problem --- We are all interested in one thing, our cars.. but to put down "American Cars" as a whole? About as ignorant as anyone shooting down "All foreign cars". Like someone else said.. It's just a matter of knowing when to shut your mouth.

no318

I agree with much of what Troy said.  If you shun them now, they are not going to develop an interest in the hobby, much less the kind of cars that we like.  They are young with limited funds and limited experience.  I know I was there once, too.  I develped a respect for 50's cars even though I don't have a burning passion to collect them.  They were already collectible and out of my price range when I was in my teens-20's. 

1969chargerrtse

I had a kid with a WRX tell me his car was much faster than my Charger.  I said, go get me a 69 Suparu and I'll race that.  I also said why don't we pull your lawn mower engine out and drop it in my big old car and see what the 1/4 mile time is and then I'll drop my 800 lb motor in your go cart after we make the suspension solid and see what time you do with my engine ?  :slap:
Overall it is a good thing that some kids still like cars.  I still see it as a dying hobby.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Back N Black

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 01, 2011, 10:16:15 PM
I had a kid with a WRX tell me his car was much faster than my Charger.  I said, go get me a 69 Suparu and I'll race that.  I also said why don't we pull your lawn mower engine out and drop it in my big old car and see what the 1/4 mile time is and then I'll drop my 800 lb motor in your go cart after we make the suspension solid and see what time you do with my engine ?  :slap:
Overall it is a good thing that some kids still like cars.  I still see it as a dying hobby.

Sounds like you were making excuses because the WRX could beat you ass!  :nana:

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 01, 2011, 10:16:15 PM

DUDE I LOVE THAT!!  :2thumbs: