News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WTF is wrong with some of the kids around the "car world"??

Started by jb666, July 01, 2011, 11:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Obviously excluding people like Frank, Cody and others here...

I had a kid walking around a car show I was at the other night. Found out he was 21.. Normal kid, so it appeared.. Until he opened his mouth... "Everything made in America is junk. Period. Doesn't matter when".

On his shirt was a "GOT TURBO?" statement.

I asked him what he owned. He said "A Subaru WRX".  :brickwall:

This type of ignorance never ceases to amaze me.. I wish it was my kid, I'd have smacked the white off his teeth... :slap:

Budnicks

Yep they like the foreign junk!   :brickwall:   :RantExplode:   :shruggy:  More of the good cars left for us...LOL...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

AKcharger

jb666

skip68

I look at it like this... any kid can get a Honda and afford it but these cars are out of their price range.   Or, they can finance a more expensive "wrx" or whatever and then plug in performance.     :shruggy:    Then again, Frank is about the same age isn't he?   Maybe guys like Frank & Cody just have more patients and are willing to work for their rides and performance to have something that the other guys don't.   :shruggy:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bull

jb666

Troy

What's the difference between that and the other side of the argument? Most of the old guys are chanting "buy American" even when they know the quality of our cars from the factory was less than desirable. Or, how about the "Mopar or No Car" crowd bashing on Chevy and Ford? Just be happy the kid was interested in cars at all. I know a whole lot of them that have no idea what brand they drive (or how to drive it) or how it works.

I can appreciate nearly any vehicle and I use shows to help broaden my views. That doesn't mean I *like* everything - just that I can appreciate someone else' efforts.

Now, having a big mouth and not knowing when to keep it shut is a different matter...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2011, 01:09:38 PM
What's the difference between that and the other side of the argument? Most of the old guys are chanting "buy American" even when they know the quality of our cars from the factory was less than desirable. Or, how about the "Mopar or No Car" crowd bashing on Chevy and Ford? Just be happy the kid was interested in cars at all. I know a whole lot of them that have no idea what brand they drive (or how to drive it) or how it works.

I can appreciate nearly any vehicle and I use shows to help broaden my views. That doesn't mean I *like* everything - just that I can appreciate someone else' efforts.

Now, having a big mouth and not knowing when to keep it shut is a different matter...

Troy

or the "that's not a Charger..real Chargers have 2 doors" crowd.  :stirthepot:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

jb666

Brock Samson

'n the same arguments can apply to music.  :shruggy: some folks just have closed minds.   :-\   :shruggy:

mopar0166

Anyone can try and weld a soup can on a hondas muffler and think they are fast, it takes a real car guy to work on a 40 yr car, and then have it run good, sound good, look good, and actually god very fast wit out falling apart.  i give these kids no respect, the cars can put up some numbers but they car car guys.  Im only in my 30' and i see the younger kids with thier hondas telling me off it s just plain stupid!   at at stop lights where they are reeving them up thier soup cans, i pull up and then reeve up the big block and that quickly stops!  There will always be more respect for the original muscle over new school stuff.  

Just my two cents  :cheers: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

Brock Samson

Richard Cranium

Quote from: jb666 on July 01, 2011, 12:25:13 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on July 01, 2011, 12:23:28 PM
I'd ask him where he was born?

I did... He was born and raised in Boston.

Those damn Massholes are everywhere!   :flame:

Oh wait, I'm one.   :lol:
I am Dr. Remulac

Troy

Quote from: mopar0166 on July 01, 2011, 03:03:35 PM
Anyone can try and weld a soup can on a hondas muffler and think they are fast, it takes a real car guy to work on a 40 yr car, and then have it run good, sound good, look good, and actually god very fast wit out falling apart.  i give these kids no respect, the cars can put up some numbers but they car car guys.  Im only in my 30' and i see the younger kids with thier hondas telling me off it s just plain stupid!   at at stop lights where they are reeving them up thier soup cans, i pull up and then reeve up the big block and that quickly stops!  There will always be more respect for the original muscle over new school stuff. 

Just my two cents  :cheers: :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
A rather broad generalization. I know lots of kids who know a whole lot about working on cars (and, of course, a lot that truly believe that adding stickers will make them faster). However, there are a whole lot of guys with classic cars that can't tune them worth a damn as well (I fit this category every so often too). It's not like everyone who owns a car is a great mechanic or can tear it down and rebuild it blindfolded. Don't even get me started on driving "skills" (or lack thereof). YouTube is full of "fail" videos - old/new or foreign/domestic. Many cocky drivers in "fast" cars have looked awfully silly against obviously weaker opponents.

Making assumptions about others based on one fact is a really good way to look foolish.

Troy

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 01, 2011, 01:28:53 PM
Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2011, 01:09:38 PM

Troy

or the "that's not a Charger..real Chargers have 2 doors" crowd.  :stirthepot:

I disagree with both of you with a caveat. The caveat being that most people aren't really all that serious about the fervent brand-loyal banner waving. Regardless, there's a difference here between showing disrespect toward the nostalgia in this hobby and bitching about quality. The Wright Brother's plane is a POS compared to a P51 Mustang and a P51 Mustang is a POS compared to an F22 but any F22 pilot with a brain, and a little bit of respect, wouldn't dream of mouthing off about how the older planes are junk. Especially in front of those who respect/piloted those planes just for the sake of pushing buttons. Plus, there's a lot to be said for understanding the way things were on the voyage to where we are now when it comes to technology.

That said, I think people who are ok with the new "Charger" don't seem to give a crap about nostalgia at all. To me that's a bad thing but perhaps to them they just see everything older than, say, 1999 as junk. I don't know what it is but I'm sure the quality of the new thing is fine but just the fact that it exists and was given the name it was given is a slight. I respect the car for what it is but what is it is not a Charger. To me the people who can't understand this are probably the ones wouldn't mind so much if a nice P51 were melted down to make pop cans.

b5blue

Keep in mind lot's of these kids were what I call "Mom's car kids". They got mom's car and souped it up as best they could. As a result they are kinda imprinted at a young age. I was talking to a cluster of "Tunners" nice kids, they were telling me about there mods and power build ups. One estimated his engines power at 350+ HP so I asked him what he did to the transmission? He replied: "OH do you fix transmissions! I've blown 3 in the last 2 months, what do I do?" I told him to buy a Dart or Duster and build a total package that can handle the power.  :lol: Their just young and know little of what they are doing.    

Ponch ®

Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2011, 03:29:25 PM
Anyone can try and weld a soup can on a hondas muffler and think they are fast, it takes a real car guy to work on a 40 yr car, and then have it run good, sound good, look good, and actually god very fast wit out falling apart.  i give these kids no respect, the cars can put up some numbers but they car car guys.  Im only in my 30' and i see the younger kids with thier hondas telling me off it s just plain stupid!   at at stop lights where they are reeving them up thier soup cans, i pull up and then reeve up the big block and that quickly stops!  There will always be more respect for the original muscle over new school stuff. 

A rather broad generalization. I know lots of kids who know a whole lot about working on cars (and, of course, a lot that truly believe that adding stickers will make them faster). However, there are a whole lot of guys with classic cars that can't tune them worth a damn as well (I fit this category every so often too). It's not like everyone who owns a car is a great mechanic or can tear it down and rebuild it blindfolded. Don't even get me started on driving "skills" (or lack thereof). YouTube is full of "fail" videos - old/new or foreign/domestic. Many cocky drivers in "fast" cars have looked awfully silly against obviously weaker opponents.

Making assumptions about others based on one fact is a really good way to look foolish.

Troy

I made a similar point in a 4-door CHARGER bashing thread a couple of months ago: the old car guys refuse to believe (maybe out of their own insecurities) that anyone who is into newer/modern cars has any kind of mechanical skill or talent, and that it's strictly all about the bling bling and the ghetto sound systems. On the other hand, every time I go on a cruise with a mostly classic car group, it's usually the guy with the nicest car that has a problem and he's just standing around while other guys help fix it because he doesn't know what's what.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bordin34

I hang out with tuners most of the time and while some have no idea about cars a lot know just as much as anybody here and do their own work. They can also make crazy power out of 3.0l engines. I was driving down to a show with a couple hundred tuners and for fun revved next to a Supra with DOT slick. He barely got on the throttle and spun the slicks at 70mph on the highway, crazy power. There are alot of 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder turbo imports that will walk most people on here and still get 25mpg.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

jb666

Now tonight was different... Large show, 750+ cars... One of the many people that approached us was a 19(?) year old kid. He was all excited to see my ProCharger. He just picked one up for an '87 Monte SS he's building. Couldn't wait to show me the video of his motor running (blown) and tell me EVERY detail of his build. Very cool kid.

Hey, the way I see it --- Foreign, American, no problem --- We are all interested in one thing, our cars.. but to put down "American Cars" as a whole? About as ignorant as anyone shooting down "All foreign cars". Like someone else said.. It's just a matter of knowing when to shut your mouth.

no318

I agree with much of what Troy said.  If you shun them now, they are not going to develop an interest in the hobby, much less the kind of cars that we like.  They are young with limited funds and limited experience.  I know I was there once, too.  I develped a respect for 50's cars even though I don't have a burning passion to collect them.  They were already collectible and out of my price range when I was in my teens-20's. 

1969chargerrtse

I had a kid with a WRX tell me his car was much faster than my Charger.  I said, go get me a 69 Suparu and I'll race that.  I also said why don't we pull your lawn mower engine out and drop it in my big old car and see what the 1/4 mile time is and then I'll drop my 800 lb motor in your go cart after we make the suspension solid and see what time you do with my engine ?  :slap:
Overall it is a good thing that some kids still like cars.  I still see it as a dying hobby.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Back N Black

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on July 01, 2011, 10:16:15 PM
I had a kid with a WRX tell me his car was much faster than my Charger.  I said, go get me a 69 Suparu and I'll race that.  I also said why don't we pull your lawn mower engine out and drop it in my big old car and see what the 1/4 mile time is and then I'll drop my 800 lb motor in your go cart after we make the suspension solid and see what time you do with my engine ?  :slap:
Overall it is a good thing that some kids still like cars.  I still see it as a dying hobby.

Sounds like you were making excuses because the WRX could beat you ass!  :nana:

TUFCAT

DUDE I LOVE THAT!!  :2thumbs:

derailed

Quote from: Back N Black on July 01, 2011, 10:32:37 PM

Sounds like you were making excuses because the WRX could beat you ass!  :nana:
Very true, 1 car you might want to bite your tongue and avoid.

70charginglizard

70charginglizard

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Back N Black on July 01, 2011, 10:32:37 PM
I had a kid with a WRX tell me his car was much faster than my Charger.  I said, go get me a 69 Suparu and I'll race that.  I also said why don't we pull your lawn mower engine out and drop it in my big old car and see what the 1/4 mile time is and then I'll drop my 800 lb motor in your go cart after we make the suspension solid and see what time you do with my engine ?  :slap:
Overall it is a good thing that some kids still like cars.  I still see it as a dying hobby.

Sounds like you were making excuses because the WRX could beat you ass!  :nana:
Yeah your right.  better to get a SRT Hemi Charger from today and race a 69 Subaru.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Todd Wilson

Well I had an experience last weekend at the local Sonic Drive In.    A brother and sister were there. He just out of high skool and she was still in high skool.    SHe was rolling in a 64 Imperial that was in awesome original shape. He was in a 67 Mustang that was restored.   She had the right answer for every question I asked her.  Her and her friends were sitting around the car listening to 60's music on a jam box.  The brother does the work on the cars and they are taking them around to the local shows this year.

Todd

no318

Mike DC

Being a teen in the hobby is not always as fun as some of you guys might think.  

If you try to save up and build what you can afford, then you get criticized for driving the wrong modern car.  

If you try to get an old car, then you get griped at for mistreating it because of its raggedy condition.  After all, you failed to complete a $20,000 restoration within 1-2 years on your part-time burger-flipping salary while going to high school.  (And the guy griping at you has probably spent 5+ years on his own project car, if it's done at all.) 

But if your car is nice & old enough to win the respect of the older generation, then you will usually just get criticized for being too young to have earned it yourself.  Even the perfect car will not get you respect.  

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 01, 2011, 03:01:47 PM
'n the same arguments can apply to music.  :shruggy: some folks just have closed minds.   :-\   :shruggy:

:iagree:  Pick your topic, it's all "with us or against us" these days, or so it seems to me anyhow. Having a reasonable discussion about much is pointless these days.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bull

Quote from: jb666 on July 01, 2011, 11:45:54 AM
I had a kid walking around a car show I was at the other night. Found out he was 21.. Normal kid, so it appeared.. Until he opened his mouth... "Everything made in America is junk. Period. Doesn't matter when".

On his shirt was a "GOT TURBO?" statement.

This kid was just being an a-hole; just trying to piss people off because there's no reaon to say anything otherwise. Especially at a car show when most of the cars are in better-than-new condition. What exactly did he see that made him draw his conclusion? Nothing. Therefore he obviously just wanted to draw attention to himself. Just a little candy-a$$ jerk.

Darkman

Having worked on my Charger, I tend to agree in some aspects. There are some things that have me scratching my head as to why it was built that way, but after I sit down thinking about it, I realise that it is a 40+ year old car. I have been lucky to work on British, Australian and American made cars, unfortunately the british car was the easiest to work on and the "best" made followed by the Aussie car and then the Dodge. I did not buy the Charger for its build quality, I bought it for its style! And at the end of it all, the Charger would be the only car I would enjoy owning and driving!

Remember, the Charger was meant to be an affordable production car, not a hand made rolls royce!

One of my employees just paid $80k for a very nice new ute (pick up for you americans  :icon_smile_big: ) with 600+Hp. Admittedly it is a very nice car. When he ribs me about how his car would beat mine in a race, I just reply.....

"in 5 years time, my $20k vehicle will be worth $80k, while your $80k car will be worth $20k" it shuts him up every time!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

NHCharger

Jeff, I've had it happen with the older crowd too. Back when I use to do cruise nights (1996) I had my 71 Charger with it's tired paint job at a Walmart cruise night. The guy next to me had a Chevelle that was flawless. Some guy came up to me a said "holy sh!t a Charger, can I take some pics"? As he was snapping away the Chevelle owner asked him why he was taking pics of my polished turd. The guy with the camera said "you never see Chargers anymore, car's like your Chevelle are a dime a dozen".
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Cooter

It's funny, Every time I see one of the "Less knowledgable" import guys touting how they have a 1100 BHP Supra and how badass it is, they along with their friends seem to always at some point bring up how cool the musclecars are even today..I simply tell them I love the fact you can spend $100K in your Supra and make that kind of power. We need car guys making insane amounts of power. Only kicker is, nobody wants to stop you on the interstate and take a picture of your car no matter how much HP it makes. No Import can hold a candle to a musclecar when it comes to the "Coolness" factor...Every Video game that these typess seem to play on PS2, seem to ALWAYS have some sort of Old Skool musclecar on it...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Budnicks

Quote from: NHCharger on July 03, 2011, 07:02:04 AM
Jeff, I've had it happen with the older crowd too. Back when I use to do cruise nights (1996) I had my 71 Charger with it's tired paint job at a Walmart cruise night. The guy next to me had a Chevelle that was flawless. Some guy came up to me a said "holy sh!t a Charger, can I take some pics"? As he was snapping away the Chevelle owner asked him why he was taking pics of my polished turd. The guy with the camera said "you never see Chargers anymore, car's like your Chevelle are a dime a dozen".
I love that statement, it's exactly correct.  They made a ton more Chevelles then Chargers, I do like the 66-67 Chevelle body style though.
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Topher

Tophucious say: Bettah to keeep mouf shut an let uddahs tink you stuupid, dan to open an pruuve dem rite!

As with ALL situations, and younglings' attitudes, they were taught somewhere by someone to think this way. My sons are 20 and 16, and I have taken them to shows, cruise ins, and shops all their lives. I've taught them to respect others' cars, and builds regardless of whether they like it or not. If you've wrenched on your own car in ANY degree then you know what kind of effort it takes to do it, and to tear someone down or spout off smart remarks is dis respectful.

It's up to us to teach the younger generation. How else will the hobby survive?
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

dkn1997

His problem is his view of the world in absolutes.  Is every muslim a terrorist? no.  Is every Irishman a drunk? no.  Is every prius driver a tree hugging communist?  no.   (not really sure on the last two but what the hell)

The world is shades of grey.  There are plenty of good american cars just as much as there are plenty of subaru WRX owners that are true gearheads who are just as cool as we all think we are. 

While the extremist view of the world isnt the exclusive property of kids his age, it's more prevalent in younger people because when you haven't seen much of the world, it's easier to see it in black and white.

RECHRGED

aussiemuscle

Quote from: jb666 on July 01, 2011, 11:45:54 AM
.. "Everything made in America is junk. Period. Doesn't matter when".
Same thing in Australia. anything made here is crap, even if it's world-class, it's crap. People complain about Korea taking over the world, then go buy a Kia.  :brickwall:

John_Kunkel

The only reason current American cars are as good as they are is because Detroit was shamed into cleaning up its  act by the Japanese.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 01, 2011, 01:28:53 PM
or the "that's not a Charger..real Chargers have 2 doors" crowd.  :stirthepot:

but...    they do...        :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

TK73

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 04, 2011, 03:36:18 PM

The only reason current American cars are as good as they are is because Detroit was shamed into cleaning up its  act by the Japanese.

So true...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TK73

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 01, 2011, 04:03:55 PM
... and that it's strictly all about the bling bling and the ghetto sound systems...

That's what I see at the Mopar shows with the 4 doors...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TruckDriver

Not all younger kids like tuner imports. My oldest son, who is 16, hates them. And I never directed him into what kind of cars he should like. But he even stands up for good old American muscle cars at school. He tells me all the time how he argues with some of the kids there about how much cooler it is to make 500hp with pure mechanical muscle the just adding NOS or a computer chip. He agrees that there are some fast imports out there. But like Jesse always tells me, American Muscle cars can always do one thing that most imports tuners can not do, and that is a wheelie!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Brads70

I have 3 boys, aged 15,13,10 They love muscle cars. The oldest wants a 78-81 Trans-Am, the middle son wants a 69-70 fastback Mustang, and the youngest wants a 69 Charger  :D. They enjoy going to cruise nights , car shows, etc... Not all kids are into imports is my point.  :Twocents:

nh_mopar_fan

My kid bought himself a 'Stang and started getting crap from his friends because he bought a "douche" car. They both drive Subarus.

::)

mopar0166

At least it was an american muscle car,  most younger kids want a show and go car.  They didnt like this weekend when the charger was roaring at them like a fire breathing dragon. 

67440chrg

It needs to be taken on a case by case level. I have seen a good amount of young car people who respect old cars and some who don't. On the 4th me and my 2 daughters were at a local car show.  While I was standing behind my car listening to the awards given out a teen aged boy came up to my car and told my 7 and 9 year old his car would smoke ours he never had the nerve to talk to me or even tell them what he had. It is sad when it makes someone feel like more of a man to comment to 2 little girls. I hope he saw me leave with the best mopar award.

SRT-440

My 70 RR gets hated on by the "import" guys (which also hate on my SRT4 DD.. :shruggy:)...but it's funny when they see my Buick GN their knees start knocking...they always ask the same questions, what turbo, alky, tune..blah..blah...I usually say it's just a 80's american car that beats the imports (everytime) at their own game.  :nana:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

G-man

This is why you buy a FORD GT Supercar or a Euro-Exotic car, it avoids the whole whats better than what issue as you are way out of their league to not ever have to even ask the question as it would be a dumb question to ask.

:icon_smile_big:

Troy

Quote from: G-man on July 06, 2011, 02:03:44 PM
This is why you buy a FORD GT Supercar or a Euro-Exotic car, it avoids the whole whats better than what issue as you are way out of their league to not ever have to even ask the question as it would be a dumb question to ask.

:icon_smile_big:
You seriously think people who own those cars don't argue over what is better?

Troy

G-man

THey probbably do. But I was refering to "Muscle or import" issues. They just argue amongst Ferrari or Lambo which are both still the same breed of vehicle.

I guess what needs to be dertimined is, what makes a  car good, or, why argue over whats better (Import or muscle).

1: they all have an engine
2: they all got 4 wheels
3: They all have a certain look
etc...

What I see makes a car good depends on why you baught it for.

For example... If you are after a cheap car to run that can have decent power and high reliability, then sorry Jap imports win here, muscle cars are nothing but trouble and expensive to run (so u could say they suck as there not even that reliable)

On the other hand, if Power is what you are after without all the troubles and dramas of intercoolers, turbo maintenence etc, then Muscle cars definately provide power for cheap and they have lasted over 40 years (with all the bugs they got).

If your after a car that handles well, drives well, has  serious power, uses the top of the line technology and parts/materials , which makes it extremelly expensive because nothing but the best was used in it, hand  crafted not mass produced like any other car, and u dont mind the fact it has NO room in it whatsoever for practical purposes, then Exotic cars are the best.

In general, what makes a car good?

Id say the most important thing is reliability. If u have a car thats fast but always breaks down on u, its obviously a car that is shit. So most commuters are good cars, they get u to work and back, they last a long time, they work without any trouble, they are good cars. But when ur after performance, then they are shit.

As far as the whole super car ppl whats better than what, Since there all inpractical cars, then the only thing to dertermine whats better is the way they perform as they do nothing else.The Enzo ferrari is better than all Lambos but its also a Hyper car that isnt a real production line sort of vehicle, so going to the standard ferraris and Lamborghinis, the Murciellago is the fastest one in terms of top speed and cornering capability. However, it has no racing heritage like that of Ferrari. Thats where I like the GT. With 200hp less than the above mentioned cars its almost the same speed around the track as they are, not to mention it costs $$$ less aswell.

But ur right Troy about what you said in your first few replies, however nobody should walk around saying "THis is all shit,  all american cars are shit", they are? Thats why American Muscle (mopar  particulary) dominates Drag racing and Top fuelers that run over 6000 HP run HEMI engines, thats why for not that much u can build a big block motor with 600-700hp, natural aspirated, no troubles of intercoolers, and still have room to take the family out and have enough trunk space to be somewhat practical, thats why it was the American ford GT40 that dominated Lemans above that of ferrari and Lamborghini etc 6 year wins in a row. There shit? Perhaps on fuel but they got more space than imports, so there more practical, have much larger trunk room than imports, so u could go on a holiday if u choose to and u can do it all with a 600+ HP v8 that needs no power adders.

So whats better then?

:shruggy:

Rolling_Thunder

dude...   I get crap for swapping a 6.1 into my charger...      some people just can't be pleased and are never happy...       I just shrug and ask "and what did you drive here?"
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

moparstuart

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 06, 2011, 03:40:24 PM
dude...   I get crap for swapping a 6.1 into my charger...      some people just can't be pleased and are never happy...       I just shrug and ask "and what did you drive here?"
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: some people will say anything
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

71wrenchhead

HAHHAHAHAHHA, i once tacked a soup can to my old jeeps exhaust cuz i snapped it when i was bouncin around some dirt roads  :P
but hey, i can appreciate the work someone does building a honda to go insanely fast and look like a cereal box prize
i can also appreciate someon puttin a lot of work into restoring any car back to original
the way i see it, you build a car to do what you want
kids want to go really fast and when they are done store their car in a shoe box under thier bed while they enjoy their favorite cartoons over a juice box
the older generation would rather pay a ridiculous mortgage for a 2 car garage, house, space to work on it, and all the shipping costs that go with aquiring parts that are insanely expensive

food for thought
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

nvrbdn

we have decent size car shows around here that will include ricers, muscle, classic, new cars and trucks. i see these kids get there early and clean the crap out of their cars hitting every spot just like us old guys do. dragin out the buckets and cloths. and when they are all done they move around and admire all the vehicles with awe (since they see how much effort their own machines are). i think most the car kids are this way and you just met one of the few idiots with nothing constructive to say and needing his "better than thou" side to show. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Darkman

Hey....I own a Charger. For me it was/is an import, so does that make it part of the really cool crowd  :rofl:

Kids that have comments like that have never worked on a car in their life! Their parents probably bought them their car completely show ready!

Brass

Quote from: Cooter on July 03, 2011, 09:05:17 AM
No Import can hold a candle to a musclecar when it comes to the "Coolness" factor...
Which is why even the Fast and the Furious franchise, which was initially conceived to showcase the import/tuner cars, gradually became more and more about the muscle.

I've met quite a few newer-car and import owners who were a joy to talk with.  If they're affable, its pretty easy to get on their page.  But I love that Chargers will always be cool.

G-man

Quote from: Brass on July 07, 2011, 02:23:28 PM
Quote from: Cooter on July 03, 2011, 09:05:17 AM
No Import can hold a candle to a musclecar when it comes to the "Coolness" factor...
Which is why even the Fast and the Furious franchise, which was initially conceived to showcase the import/tuner cars, gradually became more and more about the muscle.

I've met quite a few newer-car and import owners who were a joy to talk with.  If they're affable, its pretty easy to get on their page.  But I love that Chargers will always be cool.

Cool factor... tell that to the guy this whole thread was about. Coolness is in the eye of the beholder. There is no facts about it just mere personal opinion. On the other hand, it could also be argued that the reason why Muscle cars started getting introduced after the first one is because the muscle car companies wanted/needed some publicity. They saw the first movie was a Hit so they wanted in. If there so cool im sure alot of the tuner people who have spent 100 000+ on there tuner c ould have EASILY baught a muscle car and for a lot less $ produce the power. Making an import identical to charger or any muscle car is almost double the price. So i doubt the whole "They cant afford muscle" business is even valid. Go price up HKS installments to make a skyline or supra say 650hp, + HKS intercoolers HKS Headers etc etc needed to make that power work. 50 000+

Charger, u spend what, 12 000 and u got a 700HP engine. Thats a quarter of the price for the same thing.

Darkman

As what was said before, kids with any idea (or respect for that matter) for older cars wouldn't make comments like that. It is true that coolness is in the eye of the beholder, but a big block Charger pulling up to the lights next to a over modified ricer will still get more attention (especially with straight through exhaust!). Rev a mild big block next to a turbocharged 4 banger and tell me who gets the most attention

TexasStroker

I'm probably going to tick someone off, so I won't check back  :lol:

But, here is my take...

I'm a very simple guy.

I like Mopars.  That is it.  That is all.  If I was dropped into a random car show full of the world's nicest rods, camaros, mustangs, and imports, I would be the guy that went like steel to a magnet over the rusted out, Slant Six, 4 door Dart...that is just my style.  If I could find the owner, I would proably talk to them until they got sick of me asking questions.  If they left and I still had time to kill, I would comb the lot for another Mopar.  If nothing turned up, I would then spend my time glancing at the other rides.

I can appreciate the work that goes into a rat rod (yes, it really does take work, lol), a 100k 32 ford, a restomod camaro/mustang, and a tricked out supra.  If there was legislation against modifications etc I would stand up and bat to help out the impacted end of the hobby.  I try very hard to never bash someone's car knowing that to them it is as important as the Mopars are to me.  If people talk trash to me for no reason I just brush it off.  I've been told anything and everything negative about everything from the Charger being worthless with a 440, incorrect for not having a gold pentastar, and the Duster being a paint job short of a good car.  I even had someone call the Mopar 10 a stock as rock, boring car.  Did any of them ever ask anything about the cars?  No.  They made assumptions, passed judgment, and went griping to all their friends about the "crappy nova" (brand x for Duster).

At the end of the day, I don't care.  It is actually funny to hear some of the comments, people usually don't assume that I am the owner of the cars and they will stand by assaulting me with their analysis of the car  ::)  It is funny to hop in and fire the car up as they still carry on bashing your car  :coolgleamA: 

Most people tend to be like myself.  We won't go out of our way to bash anyone's ride, but we stand firm in what we like and prefer.  It is a small percent who are vocal with their opinions to the point of being annoying or hurting someone's feelings.  I just simply don't care.  Often times these are people who leave the car show in a daily driver avalon or cavalier...it blows my mind sometimes.

I've just come to accept you can't make everyone else happy, and I sure as heck don't intend to...these are my cars and I will focus on making myself happy...if that ticks someone off, I must be doing something right.  I wouldn't put much stock in the comments from anyone, whether they are rude brand-x minions or devout Mopar purists (who ironically are sometimes the most harsh on other Mopars, despite the owner being guilty of many of the same offenses (Cragars, Grant wheel, etc)).  I'm a Mopar guy, and I will always do my cars the way I want them to be...If you don't like it, it is fine with me...the cars aren't for sale, so you will have to be the one to loose sleep at night  :icon_smile_cool:

Just my take...Have fun with your car, focus on meeting good people who share your interest, and don't worry about what others think.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

charger Downunder

I love Mopars and i teach my kids to appreciate all cars new or old (respect).

I would rather look at a car with a chrome bumper than one with a plastic one.
[/quote]

derailed

Quote from: charger Downunder on July 08, 2011, 05:08:07 AM
I love Mopars and i teach my kids to appreciate all cars new or old (respect).

I would rather look at a car with a chrome bumper than one with a plastic one.
Speaking of which, the new Challengers with the aftermarket chrome bumpers look sharp.