News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ran across this General Lee story on google news

Started by nascarxx29, January 27, 2011, 12:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

694spdRT

I see it mentions they believe it to be one of the originals.  :scratchchin: 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

UH60L

Of, course, that story is from 2005, so maybe the car is done by now.

I'm sorta curious if it was a car that was used on the show.  There are a some out there that didn't get crushed, but were in pretty bad shape.

I remember reading, a few years ago, about one that was found in someone's yard that had the inside camera mounts (or mount brackets) still in the ceiling.  I think that one is road worthy now.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: UH60L on January 28, 2011, 01:03:55 PM
Of, course, that story is from 2005, so maybe the car is done by now.

I'm sorta curious if it was a car that was used on the show.  There are a some out there that didn't get crushed, but were in pretty bad shape.

I remember reading, a few years ago, about one that was found in someone's yard that had the inside camera mounts (or mount brackets) still in the ceiling.  I think that one is road worthy now.

The car is indeed done now, or close to it. The guy in that article lives in Pittsfield, Maine, which is 30 minutes from me (I lived and worked in Pittsfield for several years), and my older sister took pictures of it several months ago, because she knows I like Chargers and The Dukes of Hazzard.

About it being an original Warner Brothers car; I don't know. I do know that the "01" on the door in the newspaper article picture is way off from the Warner Brothers cars.

In any event, here's a picture that my sister took of that car recently:

It looks like nice work from the pictures (I've never seen it in person; I didn't even know about it until my sister showed me the pictures). However, it looks like he went for more of a 2005 movie look than the TV series look (8.5" wide vector wheels instead of 7" wide as on the TV show, white letter tires instead of blackwalls, and the movie-style decals from Phoenix Graphix [including the Helvetica typeface for the "GENERAL LEE" text]). It looks like he put a real rollbar in it, but strangely, there is no push bumper.

As I said, I've never seen the car in person, nor have I ever met the guy, but I get asked about him and his car all the time. The reason is: I have a '69 Charger (which I've had for about 17 years) with a faded, decades-old General Lee paintjob, that has been jumped (and then straightened) in the distant past. I have it at a local mechanic/friend's garage where I'm working on it, which means a lot of people see it every day. They must figure that two people in the same general area that have Chargers that may have been used on The Dukes of Hazzard must know each other.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Aero426

Front end needs to come down.  A little too much 4 x 4 stance going on.