News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

over heating or a bad guage??

Started by mpdlawdog, June 29, 2011, 01:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpdlawdog

I took my charger on her longest ride so far last night (20 miles one way..yea I know but I dont have AAA  ;D)....As I was driving my temp gauge slowly went to 230....I pulled over and let it cool down and made it to my parents house.....I let it sit for a while and started it back up...my dad has one of those fancy laser temp gauges....my temp gauge said it was 180 but no where in the motor could we find anything over 140 including inside the radiator..hoses...water pump...It is the original temp gauge with a new sender....I dont want to blow it up!  Ideas?  I'm guessing its the gauge but how could you test it?  Thanks
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Brass

I had a similar experience.  The stock gauge wasn't reading as accurate as I thought.  Tried a new sending unit and that was even worse - so I got an affordable set of aftermarket mechanical gauges until I upgrade everything to in-dash Auto Meters.  I mounted mine below the ash tray but if you do a search, you might find a few other ideas too.  I've learned that some of these cars just tend to run hot.  Has it been leaving coolant on the ground?

bobs66440

Yeah, does it boil over? I agree Brass. I would hook up an aftermarket gauge (even if temporary) and see what it does. Keep a close eye on it and compare the two. If it starts to get too hot by both gauges, shut it down.  :Twocents:

mpdlawdog

glad I'm not the only one who has had this happen....it isn't leaving any fluid at all  :shruggy:...I thought about hooking up another electric gauge to see what the difference is...35 to 50 degrees seems like alot for a gauge to be off...but it is 42 years old!

mpdlawdog

Quote from: mpdlawdog on June 29, 2011, 04:30:07 PM
glad I'm not the only one who has had this happen....it isn't leaving any fluid at all  :shruggy:...I thought about hooking up another electric gauge to see what the difference is...35 to 50 degrees seems like alot for a gauge to be off...but it is 42 years old!
Can I hook up two guages to the same sender?

b5blue

My pesky Cherokee had a bad temp. sender that read way to high and an oil pressure sender that read way to low. The new NAPA temp sender reads on the gauge a small amount too high. (That could be the problem.)  :scratchchin:

Brass

Quote from: mpdlawdog on June 29, 2011, 04:30:07 PM
I would use a mechanical gauge.

A383Wing

use a mechanical gauge...you don't say what engine....unless I missed it.

you cannot connect 2 gauges to one sender

do not take temp off of hoses...those are around 50* cooler than the engine...take temp at t-stat housing on intake or water pump....depending on what engine ya got

did any other gauges act funny at that time?

mpdlawdog

Quote from: A383Wing on June 29, 2011, 09:05:05 PM
use a mechanical gauge...you don't say what engine....unless I missed it.

you cannot connect 2 gauges to one sender

do not take temp off of hoses...those are around 50* cooler than the engine...take temp at t-stat housing on intake or water pump....depending on what engine ya got

did any other gauges act funny at that time?

thanks for the help...its a 383 4bbl.....it still showed alot cooler on the housing than the guage showed...I guess I will try a new sending unit first and if that doesnt work I will put in a mechanical guage... does anyone have any ideas where to run the wire through the fire wall?  thanks again

y3chargerrt

Mechanical gauges do not have wires. You run coolant to the gauge.

b5blue

It' a tube, I think that's what he meant.  :scratchchin:

mpdlawdog

I know its a tube (it looks like a wrapped wire to me)...what is an easy place to get it through the firewall without causing too much distruction?

b5blue

You might pop the seal on the speedo cable hole.  :scratchchin: I'd get an electric one if it were me, more useful later if needed. (Not much more money.)

Rolling_Thunder

what sending unit did you get - I ran a GM type on my stock gauges and they read way high with no signs of overheating...     so I'm going to go off the assumption that the sending unit you installed has the wrong ohms resistance for your stock gauge.  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

b5blue

In the interiors section there are instructions for building a "gauge tester" under the dash rebuilding topics, cheap and easy with stuff from Radio Shack. Do a search.  :scratchchin:

mpdlawdog

Thanks for the help guys...just got back from another drive in the country to a buddys house....it went to the "2" in 230 but never past....it stayed there most of the trip back.....when I got it back in the garage, I could hear some bubbling in the hoses but nothing came out of the radiator...

On the positive note, I messed with the dimmer switch and the dash lights came on  :boogie:.......yea one less thing to worry about

A383Wing

bubbling not good...find problem....sounds like yer overheating it

b5blue

The dimmer switch is like a contact arm that moves over a resistor winding that looks like a spring in a round shape. It's a good idea to keep rotating the wheel every now and then a few times up and down as it wipes the contact point and that helps clean it. At the far end of travel just past maximum brightness it should turn on your dome light if everything is working. Is your coolant 50/50 mix and in good shape?  :scratchchin:

randy73

Quote from: mpdlawdog on June 29, 2011, 01:37:41 PM
I took my charger on her longest ride so far last night (20 miles one way..yea I know but I dont have AAA  ;D)....As I was driving my temp gauge slowly went to 230....I pulled over and let it cool down and made it to my parents house.....I let it sit for a while and started it back up...my dad has one of those fancy laser temp gauges....my temp gauge said it was 180 but no where in the motor could we find anything over 140 including inside the radiator..hoses...water pump...It is the original temp gauge with a new sender....I dont want to blow it up!  Ideas?  I'm guessing its the gauge but how could you test it?  Thanks

Not saying the laser guage was right, but I have heard they are not accurate when used on iron engines.

mpdlawdog

Quote from: b5blue on July 02, 2011, 10:57:40 AM
  The dimmer switch is like a contact arm that moves over a resistor winding that looks like a spring in a round shape. It's a good idea to keep rotating the wheel every now and then a few times up and down as it wipes the contact point and that helps clean it. At the far end of travel just past maximum brightness it should turn on your dome light if everything is working. Is your coolant 50/50 mix and in good shape?  :scratchchin:
Thanks for the tip on the switch....everything works on it now...just have to move it around a bit to get the lights to work.....

as far as the coolant goes...it is new...we just put a new cam in it....I can see the bottom of the radiator with a flashlight...
I was told to take the thermostat out and take the plunger out and put the housing back in...could this be messing it up?  I put some of the purple ice in it also to try to cool it down...It has a new water pump....I took the radiator in and it boiled out....I also put the hose in the radiator and took the bottom hose off and let it run for quite some time.......I'm stumped

b5blue

NO! You need a T Stat as coolant could run too fast to soak up all the heat evenly. Check your timing when I was fighting a newly rebuilt A1 Cardone dist. that I didn't know was defective I found some initial timing settings would cause much higher temps, it was really bad at idle in gear, in traffic.   :scratchchin:   

A383Wing

yes..T-stat is required....find the problem, don't try and cover it up or hide it

mpdlawdog

OK..I put in a thermostat...changed the sending unit.....I drove it last night and it still got warmer that I would like it...under 230 and didnt boil when I got it home...I drained some of the fluid out...I looked in the top of the radiator and noticed a bunch of black (looked like rubber) stuck in some of the vents where the fluid runs down...it was blocking some of them...I didnt have anything to stick down there so I could get them out to take a pic...any idea what this is or where it is coming from?  I am thinking its from the heater core...the car sat for a long time before I got it....and got it running  :scratchchin:

I was thinking about taking the radiator out again and flushing it out from the bottom to get the stuff out...any other ideas?

b5blue

Sounds good to me. I back flushed my Cherokee heater core and got tons of crap out of it by hooking a heater hose to the garden hose and running full pressure. My crap was mostly dark but rusty looking, see if you can catch what you clean out on a towel or something to figure out what it is. (?)

bobs66440

Definitely. If you're seeing things blocking the tubes, then it needs to be flushed.

It could be small clumps of rust or scaling that was circulating and finally got lodged there. Also, someone could have dumped something in at some point to stop a leak and it collected there.