News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Choosing a carburetor for a 383 original engine, help!

Started by raull, January 08, 2006, 01:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raull

Hello again.

I need help on determining what type of carburetor to put in a stock 383 with headers and dual plane edelbrock intake. How many cfm? 750? 650? 600? Any help will be appreciated.

Headrope

Ultimately the answer to your question is the same as the answer to the Great Tootsie Pop Mystery: How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?  The world may never know.

What would be the "right" carb depends on many variables, including how you plan to use the car, what tranmission you have, what the gearing is ... and whether Edelbrock is better than Holley or Carters, etc. and more.

Depending on what year motor you've got, the stock carb would be in the 500-550 range, I believe, so anything over that would be an improvement - as long as you don't go gonzo. I've got a 383 bored .40 over with a street Hemi grind cam and other spiffy stuff. Many folks recommended I run a 750 cfm carb. I did, but found that a 625 cfm worked even better.

Good luck.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

67_Dodge_Charger

I would use the edelbrock 600.  Good for fuel economy.

-Robert

BigBlockSam

if you want  fuel economy put a small block in the car. with your setup you need at least a 650 edelbrock. so you can get some good performance out of that big block . the good thing about edelbrock carbs is that there easy to change metering rods. after you put the carb on run it for awhile. then check your plugs. if there too rich. you can lean the carb out by changing the metering rod. if there too lean. white color. , you can change the rods to richen it. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

raull

Thx for the info.

I use this car for a weekend car only. I dont drive it much, but would like it to take off if need to be. It has a 727 tranny. What other info can I give you? thx

Chryco Psycho

700 minimum , I would use a 750 , assuming it is properly tuned the fuel mileage should be very close with 600-750 ,

69Charger500

I have used the Holley 3310 (750, auto choke) and the Edelbrock 750 with much success on a relatively stock 383 Magnum.  The Holleys always require a lot of fine tuning for optimum performance, but it is cheap and relatively simple to do.  It will work fine out of the box, just richen up the pump shot with an aggressive cam (on the linkage) to make up for the large carb size.

I ran an isky cam with similar specs to the original street hemi cam, stock intake, and stock manifolds with the TTI full exhaust on my 4200# '71 Challenger convertible.  With 3.55 gears, and a mild convertor (like 2000 stall speed), it ran 14.30s at 98mph on street BFG T/As.  The mile per hour would indicate it should easily break into the 13s with a 3.91 and a little more stall speed, but it drove great as is.  Since the car was heavy, the car did require some carb tuning to launch cleanly.  That set-up would run 6500 RPM no problem, and this is where the larger CFM will benefit you with the 383, in my opinion!

I ran headers on it briefly (did not get track times), and that 383 really screamed.  That engine really likes to wind up (like a small block).

By the way, when i drove from Detroit to the Mopar Nats in it, fuel economy was not an issue.  Can't remember exactly ('cause I really didn't care), but I think it was between 12-14mpg, depending on how fast I was going on the highway.

Ghoste

I've had the Holley and Edelbrock 750 on my 383 and as far as size, the 750 seems fine.  The Eddy is a simpler street carb and might be the better choice in your case but neither one seems to overcarb it.