News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

An odd question for the patriotic auto history buff

Started by Ghoste, June 28, 2011, 08:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

It's actually two questions but they both concern presidential limos.  First, if said president had been a staff officer in the armed forces, is it proper for the presidential limousine to fly a rank flag (say a five star general flag) on one fender of the car instead of two American flags?  Secondly, if such a situation were permissable, what would be the correct fender for the US flag versus the rank one?

charge69

I really don't know the answer but, look for a picture of President Eisenhowers' limo when he was President and that should answer it. I am thinking a Presidential staff car had a U.S. flag and a flag with the Presidential seal on it, not a Generals' flag. Flags (U.S.) were and still are flown on both front fenders. Again, I am not positive.

Ghoste

The irony is that I'm trying to find this out as a matter concerning that very car.  :lol:  So far I haven't been able to find the right photo to help me out so I was trying a longshot shortcut here.

charge69

That IS funny!! I guess we are both "old timers" in real life. I can well remember when he was president. I will look for a picture also.

charge69

The online photos of President Eisenhower's limo show a 1950 Lincoln Mercury Bubbletop model that is supposed to be the one he used. It, and all the other subsequent ones I found that were for Presidential use, had the Presidential Seal on a flag one the drivers side and the U.S. Flag on the passenger side of the front fenders.

68X426

Wikipedia says that the Presidential Seal flag always flys with the US flag when the car is in the US.  Of course they could've done something different for Ike. There was no wiki in the 50s.

Ghoste, this is the most obscure subject you ever posted. :lol:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

charge69

Wikipedia is "full of it" on that question as i see them.On a Presidential Limo, one flag on each front fender and the Presidential seal flag was on the drivers' side. The U.S. Flag was only on the passenger side flag of a Presidential limo. The seal was on the back doors on both sides, if they were there and usually were.

Wiki gets things wrong regularly as anyone can enter the info and a pimply-faced kid "verifies" it before it is seen by all.

Troy

Once you're President that is your "rank" isn't it? Why would anyone *only* want to be a General? ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TK73

Can't hold a military rank while serving as president.

Eisenhower had to resign his rank to hold office. Restored after his presidency.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!