News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD

Started by Bobs69, June 28, 2011, 10:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

Wow lots of choices.

I'vd had enough of the orange boxes, actually it doesn't matter what colour it is I give up.

What MSD ignition system should I get?  I have the mopar distributor.  I'd like something that will work with it, but I could move into something else some other year.

A383Wing

I got the MSD6A.....I'm running the Mopar electronic distributor.....no issues

skip68

Quote from: A383Wing on June 28, 2011, 10:59:33 PM
I got the MSD6A.....I'm running the Mopar electronic distributor.....no issues

I agree with Bubba. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

FLG

MSD6AL and a Firecore 50 distributor, coil, and wires.

Bobs69

6A and 6AL are the same except for the Limiter right?

What's with the

MSD 6AL-2 Ignition

Digital 6AL-2 Ignition Boxes

MSD Digital-6 Plus CD Ignitions

I'm thinking 6425 or the 6421 in the Summit online catalogue.

A383Wing

The limiter is basically the only difference....

I also had to get the $80 tach adapter for mine so my tach would work again

Bobs69

Quote from: A383Wing on June 29, 2011, 08:56:08 PM
The limiter is basically the only difference....

I also had to get the $80 tach adapter for mine so my tach would work again

Hmm and why is that?  Seams to me I remember seeing that in the catalogue.

BananaDan

Original tachs don't understand the multi-spark signal and bounce around.  The tach adapter sends a signal old/original tachs can understand.  Alternatively, you can send your tach out to a place like Instrument Specialties or Redline GaugeWorks and have an electronic ignition upgrade done to it, then it won't need an adapter.

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Hissing Cobra

Definitely get the one with the limiter. I've bounced mine off the limiter too many times to count!
1969 Dodge Charger 318/automatic - Gone and sorely missed.

1979 Mustang Cobra
Street, Strip, Show
306/T-5/4.30's
12.38 @ 111
August 2005 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine Feature Car
April 2007 Modified Mustangs Magazine Feature Car

1989 Mustang LX
Stock Daily Driver
302/T-5/3.73's
14.66 @ 96

morepower

I'd go 6AL. I am actually looking for a used one if anyone has one laying around.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Bobs69

I got beat out on ebay by a $2.50 bid with 7 seconds left on a new one last night.  Wow that was something!

So yeah I want the 6al with the dials to adjust the rev limit.

MSD 6425 actually is the one.

200MPH

MSD is awesome :cheers:
Charger

HPP

MSD is okay, but it isn't the end all be all. It is just widely available and relatively inexpensive, IMO, which canbe an advantageif you travel.

On my race car I've been through few different set ups. First was the stock set up with a chrome box, second was a Jacobs set up with stockish distributor, third was a Crane set up with stockish distributor, final one was an MSD Digital 6 with matching distributor.  All of them fired up quickly, idled smoothly, and made pretty complete burns of the charge. Between them all, I saw no appreciable difference in e.t. or mph figures that would account for differences in ignition. Of them all, only the MSD ever flaked out and needed repairs, so that was a negative in my book.

Bobs69

Well shit!  I ordered one!  Hahaha.  I haven't jumped the pond (St. Lawrence River to the States) to get it at my inlaws yet.  It will likely be the last thing I install.  And if the car gets running good without it then I may send it back.  But not likely, only because it is a pain living in Canada and all.  It just sounds like, well like you said 1.  Their more common, and 2.  more reliable then stock?

I remember reading about Jacobs.............once upon a time.

Anyhow it's waiting for me.  The rev limiter will be a nice feature.

Ghoste

You'll like it.  :2thumbs:

Cooter

IMO there is only one Ignition that is relatively easy to hook up and is definately better than the stock Chrysler BS set up that you can't buy a decent module for nowadays.  M S D.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

dodgechar

Used the 6a with  a malory disributer and swithed to a auto gage tack. Does the tack adapter allow use of the tic tock tack?     

Chryco Psycho

yes the Tic Toc Tach will work with MSD & tach adapter
I have had as many MSD boxes fail as Mopar ECUs
I actually prefer the Mallory or Crane all digital ign that doesn't use the $50 resister pack to set the rev limiter

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: BananaDan on July 01, 2011, 07:18:08 AM
Original tachs don't understand the multi-spark signal and bounce around.  The tach adapter sends a signal old/original tachs can understand.  Alternatively, you can send your tach out to a place like Instrument Specialties or Redline GaugeWorks and have an electronic ignition upgrade done to it, then it won't need an adapter.

Dan

I had mine done at inst spec. and still need the adapter. Did yours work without?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Bobs69

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 24, 2011, 07:59:27 PM
yes the Tic Toc Tach will work with MSD & tach adapter
I have had as many MSD boxes fail as Mopar ECUs
I actually prefer the Mallory or Crane all digital ign that doesn't use the $50 resister pack to set the rev limiter

whooo whoo now, does the 6al need something else ($50) to make the rev-limiter work?

Ghoste

Just your choice of chip.

dodgechar

MY  tick tock tac is still in the cabinet were I left it  when I took it out when I went to msd 6a because it wouldnt work. Really like the autogage though.  dont know if I'd go back to the tic tock even w/ a adapter.

Chryco Psycho

Yes the MSD requires a $50 chip set , not sold individually , the Crane & Mallory you just adjust with a screwdriver  :brickwall:

Bobs69

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 25, 2011, 06:49:41 PM
Yes the MSD requires a $50 chip set , not sold individually , the Crane & Mallory you just adjust with a screwdriver  :brickwall:

Wait a minute.  That's the previous 6420 model isn't it?  The 6425 is set with dials.

Ghoste

Yes, the 6425 is a digital one with the controls built in.  You won't require chips.