News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Startup Procedure

Started by moparfreak, June 28, 2011, 08:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparfreak

Hi all,

Pretty soon, after completing a 727 rebuild for my '73 charger, I'll be getting it roadworthy, and will be starting up the 400 (mostly stock) for the first time in several years. I was curious, are there any specific procedures/tips I should follow for starting up an old engine that hasn't run in awhile? I'm going to pick up a priming shaft so I can spin the pump a bit before firing up.

Anything else I should watch out for? Also, what oil is recommended for these older big blocks?

Thanks,
Adam

madmike

If the engine was previously a running car, this shouldn't be a big deal...  I'd pull all the spark plugs out, and remove the valve covers.  I would spray some kind of penetrating oil in the cylinders (like PB Blaster or something), and on the valve stems, and let it sit over night.  Then, I would turn the engine over by hand, spray it all down again, and do that for several more engine revolutions.  This will help diminish the chances of breaking a piston ring, or having it stick to the piston, and free up the valves in the guides (so a valve doesn't 'hang' open).  After you know it spins freely by hand, I'd check out the starter the same way...leave the plugs out, and turn the motor over with the starter.

Then, I would drain out the old oil, fill it with whatever oil was called for originally (probably 10W-30?) and new filter.  If a points ignition car, install new points.  New plugs, if the ones you took out look pretty crappy.  Your biggest issue might be the carburetor.  It might have some corrosion problems from gas left sitting in it.  Depending on how it looks, you might want to rebuild it, or just see what happens when you get it fired up.

I'm sure others will chime in with some good suggestions as well...