News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dual Exhaust for 400-4bbl '73

Started by moparfreak, June 28, 2011, 08:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparfreak

Hi all,

It's been quite some time since I've been able to spend time on my '73 SE, but finally this summer, I plan to get it road-worthy (10 years in a garage, now).

I'm wrapping up a 727 rebuild and install, and while the car's up, I'd like to swap the exhaust to dual. This car has a 400, originally a 2 bbl setup, but that was converted to a 4 bbl. Otherwise, the engine is pretty stock. The original single exhaust remains, and I'm looking at different dual setups.

I keep going back to TTI. Any other good options (I've investigated Accurate, Summit, Pypes)? Right now, I plan on a 2.5" system, keeping the cast iron exhaust manifolds. Down the road, I'll eventually pull the engine again and will install headers at that time. To order the exhaust, I'll need the manifold part number. How do I know what P/N that is? Is it on the casting?

Also, I'm looking to get the period-correct SS slotted exhaust tips w/ black inserts. What's the least costly place to get this? TTI has them for $412, which is a little rich for my blood (especially after dropping $600 already with them). There are also a couple lengths, some with welded hangers and some without. Which version is appropriate for a '73 Charger?

Thanks all for the help!
Adam

greenpigs

The one thing I do know the answer to is yes the casting number is on the side of the manifold.

Any reason why you just don't go to a local muffler shop for the dual exhaust?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

madmike

I know many others claim that TTI is just fabulous.  I did not have a good experience with TTI (they fit about as well as a $200 header, not $750).  My Charger is a '68.  If I was you, and my engine was basically stock, I would seriously consider using the stock exhaust manifolds, especially if you have them.  Headers, unless they're really on a high performance engine, just don't seem to be worth the hassle...  When I bought my car, it didn't come with any exhaust, so I just bought headers.  If I had a set of exhaust manifolds, I would've used them, because my engine is only warmed over a bit.

moparfreak

Madmike,
I plan on keeping the stock manifolds for several years and will re-evaluate once I pull the engine/trans back out for a full body resto. If I'm happy with the exhaust tone after a few years, then I'll probably save the hassle & $$ and forget it.

Greenpigs,
I guess my mentality for the whole car in general is do this all myself that I can install, and buy good components, since I don't want to have to purchase twice. As mentioned before, TTI systems have just about only glowing reviews (Madmike's comments aside). If a shop can build a good dual system w/ crossover for me at reasonable cost, I'm certainly not opposed, but I'm also very hesitant to take my beloved Charger just to any Midas/etc and let them hack away. Am I being too protective? I live in the Milwaukee, WI area. Does anyone know decent shops around here that could do the job?

Thanks,
Adam