News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New carb, kickdown not working

Started by MoparMotel, July 12, 2011, 01:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

Put on an edelbrock 750 tonight. Had the stock Carter on it before. I adjusted the kickdown the same as before, which is to line up all three holes with a long bolt and adjust linkage shaft until the back of it touches throttle shaft. Car will not kick down and is in third gear by 15-20mph... Tried adjusting it farther out and screwing it back in, no change.

Any idea what's up?
1968 Dodge Charger

Just 6T9 CHGR

Do you have the correct throttle lever adapter on the carb?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

MoparMotel

I just used whatever one was on my carter and put it on the edelbrock... Is there a different one I should be using?

Thank you
1968 Dodge Charger

MoparMotel

I searched a few other forums and it looks like a few people used the edelbrock #1481 adapter... Does anyone know if this would work? I've got the factory metal bar kickdown not a cable operated kickdown.
1968 Dodge Charger

Just 6T9 CHGR

I believe the 1481 is the correct one
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

MoparMotel

Ok thank you... My local auto parts store has one in stock I'll go pick it up and see if that corrects the problem.
1968 Dodge Charger

maxwellwedge

If you eyeball both carbs does the throttle stud on the carb arm look like it is in the same position front to back and up and down on both carbs? I would have to guess....probably not.

MoparMotel

Edelbrock #1481 fixed the kickdown, works great now.

This carb runs a lot better than the stock 625 carter that was on the car. It's just about tuned in except for a slight stumble when hitting the throttle off of idle. We've tried playing with the accelerator pump settings, the second notch is not enough and the third notch is too much. Other than that it's almost dialed in.

Thanks for the help guys, this is a great site!
1968 Dodge Charger