News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hummm some protest!

Started by mpdlawdog, July 03, 2011, 12:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpdlawdog

"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Cooter

I believe your Signature says it all on this one....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Richard Cranium

I don't  care what anyone thinks, it's just dumb to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.
I am Dr. Remulac

bobs66440

Very sad...and senseless. But that was his choice.

twodko

Hey LawDawg I read that article in today's paper. You just can't make this stuff up! I feel sad the guy lost his life but how many para/quad's, not to mention brains scattered all over the road, does it take to get through to this segment of folks? Never been into bikes myself but I can appreciate the total freedom riders want. I'm uncomfortable when the government has to impose another law because people can't or don't want to exercise some common sense and good judgement. Its the same thing as the bike community telling everyone else that "loud pipes save lives"..........BS. We can't run around with open headers in our cars but its OK for these folks to run 'em.  Its hard to muster up sympathy for stupid. :shruggy:

RIP dummy
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Troy

I think the point is the loss of personal choice due to a mandate (which is usually started with good intentions but fails miserably). Maybe some people would prefer to die than be a vegetable for the rest of their life? I do all sorts of fun - but risky/dangerous - things (skiing, snowboarding, mountain climbing, mountain biking, walking across the street) but I know and accept the risks. If I ever die doing one of them then that's just the way it is. There are "air bag" jackets for motorcyclists. Should we mandate those as well? Why don't we make them all have 3 wheels, a wrap around cage, or internal gyroscopes? I always wear a helmet when motorcycling (even though it's not mandatory here in Ohio after your first year) but that's because I choose to. I also wear long pants and a jacket or heavy sweatshirt. I'd still prefer not to crash... but it happens.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Can't get much more ironic than that.

mpdlawdog

Quote from: Troy on July 04, 2011, 12:01:28 PM
I think the point is the loss of personal choice due to a mandate (which is usually started with good intentions but fails miserably). Maybe some people would prefer to die than be a vegetable for the rest of their life? I do all sorts of fun - but risky/dangerous - things (skiing, snowboarding, mountain climbing, mountain biking, walking across the street) but I know and accept the risks. If I ever die doing one of them then that's just the way it is. There are "air bag" jackets for motorcyclists. Should we mandate those as well? Why don't we make them all have 3 wheels, a wrap around cage, or internal gyroscopes? I always wear a helmet when motorcycling (even though it's not mandatory here in Ohio after your first year) but that's because I choose to. I also wear long pants and a jacket or heavy sweatshirt. I'd still prefer not to crash... but it happens.

Troy

I totally agree with you...its a choice...I personally dont enforce the law...I have alot of friends who ride bikes...some wear them some dont...a co worker of mine was saved by his helmet but have seen one die with it on...smart thing to wear one but again its a choice....I do like Ohios law regarding the issue......gives 18 year olds riding crotch rockets somewhat of a chance...saw it first hand a few times..
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Troy

Yeah, Ohio also doesn't allow passengers for the first year. Both make some sense to me - sort of like "temporary" or "learner's" permits which have curfews and passenger limits for teens in cars. Otherwise, I could do without the nanny state.

I do wear wrist guards when rollerblading and a butt pad when snowboarding but those are both due to personal experience!

Don't get me started on safety equipment for bicycles. Most of the kids I see with this garbage on have the helmet tipped back so far it will only protect the back of their neck and the pads are all constricting movement without protecting the joints. At least learn to use the stuff right if you're going to make your kid look like the village idiot...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Richard Cranium on July 03, 2011, 06:04:53 PM
I don't  care what anyone thinks, it's just dumb to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

But you don't seem to think it's dumb to call people dumb for exercising the right of choice? How many other things are on your list of "dumb" things to do. I'll wager "thinking" is high on the list.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Brock Samson